Kenpom 2017-18 rankings

wgstl

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

First of all, is he on crack? Take a look https://kenpom.com/

Has SLU at 168th/10th in A10

He see's SLU as just a slight improvement from last year. He had UMASS at 158 last year and they were awful. 

He has SLU improving 105 spots in his ratings.

For comparison he has Mizzou improving 75 spots to 81.  

I wouldn’t worry about where he has us now.  Systems like Pomeroy have a tough time dealing with such a high number of new players.  Worry about where he has us a third of the way into the season.

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

First of all, is he on crack? Take a look https://kenpom.com/

Has SLU at 168th/10th in A10

He see's SLU as just a slight improvement from last year. He had UMASS at 158 last year in the final rankings and they were awful. 

-after learning from The Wiz, we'll know a lot more at about 9:15pm on December 9th

-perhaps he is factoring in some discipline for players

if Sports Illustrated is correct that 4 out of our 7 top minutes on the floor guys are the players returning and 2 out if the top 3 scorers are returning players, their  8th place prediction is probably correct.   

Littlebill likes this

SI is looking at Henriquez's production in a similar rated conference and projects him as a similar scorer in the A10.  They are not buying into Jordan Goodwin as a double figure scorer and an assist guy right away.  And they don't think French will be a major contributor.  So if those are your assumptions, then 8th place is a reasonable prediction.  Very skeptical assumptions, though.

The Hanner method that SI uses is the best preview method but it cannot factor in anticipated improvement.  They use general recruiting rankings for freshman and JUCOs as well as historical data for transfers and returning players.  They also factor in coaching history.  The sum is likely greater than those parts but that is the nature of using only objective data and not spitballing relative optimism.

Pomeroy does not use alot of individual level metrics for his preview. 

Whatever SI or Kenpom is ranking SLU at and as long as the ranking is based upon last year's team's performance, you must consider the ratings given to SLU as invalid. We have what amounts to a vastly improved team, the only question being how well integrated it will be at the beginning of the season. I think that for a valid ranking, we must wait until the results for the first 8 or 10 games of this season are in.

12 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-after learning from The Wiz, we'll know a lot more at about 9:15pm on December 9th

-perhaps he is factoring in some discipline for players

One must remember that all preseason forecasts are made using rear view mirrors.  And the more turnover a team has, the more the mirror will be fogged. These models do not show a best case scenario.  They show a lesser "more probable" outcome....in this case maybe a 1 letter grade improvement.  For those who remember, my best case scenario was a 2 letter improvement. Again, I think most forecasting tools can only give a 1 grade letter on hope with no data.  I haven't started on my preseason Bayesian forecasting model.  I have a feeling it too will land somewhere in the C area.  My own personal "you gotta see the kids play" feeling  is ...we in fact have a good chance to come in at a B rating ...2 letter increase..once the data comes in.  At least the potential is there....

Which brings me to Cowboy's point....after the Houston game.  As a good Wiz student , he is correct ...that is the 8th Billiken game...the magic number which gives me enough data to make accurate ( well at least more accurate) predictions.  But alas, we in fact will have to wait till after the Murray St game on Dec 12. because coming into the Bills game Murray St won't have the requisite 8 games.  But an extra game for the Bills will be good for the data collection.

New team...new size...new strength...new intensity.....tick...tick...tick

I have been to the mountain...Bill-ieve

Wiz, you said what I said above but restated it by saying that statistically "more probable" outcomes required lower estimates of anticipated results for this year. The statistics you  are referring to are the standard models that give a fair amount of weight to the results of the prior year. Why not say that to be bound to statistics based upon last years' results introduces significant errors in the preliminary results since there has been an abnormally large change in the makeover and composition of the team which cannot be adequately accounted for using statistical models based upon last year's performance. In other words, there is so much difference between last year's team and this year's team that it cannot be correctly accounted for using the standard modeling methods. We both concluded that until the first 8 games are done, stats based upon last years' team have a "high probability" of being invalid (although you did not say it as directly as I did). We are in the same boat, we are both believers in the Bills.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:53 AM, kwyjibo said:

The Hanner method that SI uses is the best preview method but it cannot factor in anticipated improvement.  They use general recruiting rankings for freshman and JUCOs as well as historical data for transfers and returning players.  They also factor in coaching history.  The sum is likely greater than those parts but that is the nature of using only objective data and not spitballing relative optimism.

Pomeroy does not use alot of individual level metrics for his preview. 

Here is basic breakdown on how SI comes up with the rankings.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/10/12/team-rankings-projections-predictions-system

-looking at our schedule with KenPom's ending 2017 and beginning 2018 - the overall ranking improved about 4 spots and the conference only ranking dropped about 9 spots

KenPom 2017 2018
Saint Louis 273 168
Seattle # 265 278
Rockhurst n/a n/a
Virginia Tech # 50 53
Providence or 60 25
or Washington # 163 130
Detroit Mercy # 302 274
Western Michigan 162 147
Butler 25 42
Southern Illinois 150 148
Houston 52 64
Murray State 197 156
Oregon State 264 70
Campbell 278 215
Southeast Missouri State 228 298
La Salle * 140 137
Davidson * 85 86
Richmond * 92 113
Rhode Island * 34 62
George Mason * 123 169
Duquesne * 224 234
Massachusetts * 158 176
VCU * 48 83
Dayton * 39 103
Saint Joseph's * 184 66
Fordham * 202 190
St. Bonaventure * 91 77
La Salle * 140 137
Richmond * 92 113
Dayton * 39 103
George Washington * 132 143
Duquesne * 224 234
St. Bonaventure * 91 77

On 10/23/2017 at 11:31 AM, Old guy said:

Whatever SI or Kenpom is ranking SLU at and as long as the ranking is based upon last year's team's performance, you must consider the ratings given to SLU as invalid. We have what amounts to a vastly improved team, the only question being how well integrated it will be at the beginning of the season. I think that for a valid ranking, we must wait until the results for the first 8 or 10 games of this season are in.

The same SI who predicted the Astros winning it all in '17 stand a mere 81 outs away from that not happening. I don't trust them either. Let's watch the season unfold. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-looking at our schedule with KenPom's ending 2017 and beginning 2018 - the overall ranking improved about 4 spots and the conference only ranking dropped about 9 spots

KenPom 2017 2018
Saint Louis 273 168
Seattle # 265 278
Rockhurst n/a n/a
Virginia Tech # 50 53
Providence or 60 25
or Washington # 163 130
Detroit Mercy # 302 274
Western Michigan 162 147
Butler 25 42
Southern Illinois 150 148
Houston 52 64
Murray State 197 156
Oregon State 264 70
Campbell 278 215
Southeast Missouri State 228 298
La Salle * 140 137
Davidson * 85 86
Richmond * 92 113
Rhode Island * 34 62
George Mason * 123 169
Duquesne * 224 234
Massachusetts * 158 176
VCU * 48 83
Dayton * 39 103
Saint Joseph's * 184 66
Fordham * 202 190
St. Bonaventure * 91 77
La Salle * 140 137
Richmond * 92 113
Dayton * 39 103
George Washington * 132 143
Duquesne * 224 234
St. Bonaventure * 91 77

Wow, look at the jump for Oregon State.  I read where they have one of the top 20 front courts in the nation, but that is a significant jump from 264 to 70.  I have this as a W on my prediction...hmmm.

The art of prediction at its best. Keep a hold of this list until the end of the season and then calculate how many of these predictions are correct, and how many are not and by what % deviation. You will open your eyes when you find the number of incorrect predictions by over 40% and 50% either over or below of where the teams actually end the season. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

The art of prediction at its best. Keep a hold of this list until the end of the season and then calculate how many of these predictions are correct, and how many are not and by what % deviation. You will open your eyes when you find the number of incorrect predictions by over 40% and 50% either over or below of where the teams actually end the season. 

are you saying many predictions are wrong? 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-all-351-college-basketball-teams-from-duke-to-alabama-a-m/

CBS has us at 108

Travis Ford brings in a talented freshman class to combine with some transfers. The Billikens are a mixed bunch, but the program's on its way back to realistically being in the NCAA tourney picture. 

• 2 weeks later...