Following Willie Reed in the NBA, 2017-18

Duff Man

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously limited sample size, but he had the second most points per minute for the Clippers of anyone who played >3 minutes after only Blake Griffin. 8 in 13. Would've loved to see him play/score more; but I feel like he shone well in the (late) time given. Hope he gets more MPG.

Again, a small sample size, but Willie put up 12 points in only 13 minutes on 6-6 shooting. Now, 10 of those 12 came late and against a very bad Suns team. But that's still impressive against any NBA talent. Most PPM for anyone playing >7 minutes except for... once again Blake Griffen.

What concerns me though is the 4 fouls in 13 minutes. It's reminiscent of his NBA DL times.

regardless, way to go Willie! Keep it up!

4 hours ago, philliken said:

Again, a small sample size, but Willie put up 12 points in only 13 minutes on 6-6 shooting. Now, 10 of those 12 came late and against a very bad Suns team. But that's still impressive against any NBA talent. Most PPM for anyone playing >7 minutes except for... once again Blake Griffen.

What concerns me though is the 4 fouls in 13 minutes. It's reminiscent of his NBA DL times.

regardless, way to go Willie! Keep it up!

He also drew 2 charges and almost got a 3rd, but they ruled it a block.

You're never out of the woods with Willie, but his off the court legal trouble seems to be over, and on the court he's flashing in his opportunities (after 2 games his PER is 30.4!!!) 

If he keeps this up he'll get paid next summer.

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

As long as he gets competent representation. He should have been paid this summer. 

It's possible he plays his way into an even bigger deal than the $15M he turned down last summer.

He's just in a very vulnerable spot for a guy in his 3rd NBA season...needs to get through this season with no more off the court BS, and either convince the Clippers that he's a key part of their rotation (and permanent backup for DeAndre Jordan - assuming he stays) or convince some GM of a team with no good true center options that he's their guy.

4 hours ago, Duff Man said:

It's possible he plays his way into an even bigger deal than the $15M he turned down last summer.

He's just in a very vulnerable spot for a guy in his 3rd NBA season...needs to get through this season with no more off the court BS, and either convince the Clippers that he's a key part of their rotation (and permanent backup for DeAndre Jordan - assuming he stays) or convince some GM of a team with no good true center options that he's their guy.

To turn down an assured $15 million is not smart even if he lucks out next year.  That is a long shot by any thought.

35 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

To turn down an assured $15 million is not smart even if he lucks out next year.  That is a long shot by any thought.

Nobody said it was smart to turn down the guaranteed multi-year 8 figure deal.

He's lucky his contract was finalized before he got arrested and that his new team didn't just can him as a PR move

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That is interesting.  Following WR’s stats, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Clippers trade Jordan to get Reed more minutes.  He outscores him hands down.  I wouldn’t be shocked if someone trades for Reed to give him a bigger role.  If he played 30 min in that game, he probably would have scored 15 points against Embiid (as compared to 9 points).  Not great against 32 points, but it definitely beats D. Jordan’s 2 points.

Embiid going after WR further cements that he is frustratingly good as a backup.

• 2 weeks later...

Willie should be seeing a lot more playing time now that Blake Griffin is out for ~8 weeks.  

Look, I hate to see anyone injured; especially a talented and entertaining player like Blake.  But Willie needed an opportunity like this; and now he has to make the most of it.

In Miami, Whiteside went down, and Willie excelled in his absence.  It's because of that time that everyone thought he was going to get a big contract.  After his agent mucked up this off-season and Willie signed the paltry one-year deal, I didn't think he'd have much a chance to prove himself as the third big man on the roster.

Now, he has the chance again (backing up D Jordan).  Play your ass off, Willie.  The next 8 weeks could dictate whether you're done in the Association, or are signing a 3 year huge $$M contract.  Hoping for the best.

NextYearBill likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, so I thought I would put it here.  I watched some of the 76ers game last light.  Does anyone know where they rank on the list for tallest starting lineup in history?  One starter under 6'9".  

I'm not sure how often they used it (if ever), but there was talk about last year's Milwaukee Bucks team being able to run out this lineup:

Giannis Antetokounmpo PG 6-11

Jabari Parker SG 6-8

John Henson SF 6-11

Greg Monroe PF 6-11

Thon Maker  C 7-1

Monroe didn't start any games, so it for sure was never their starting lineup.

• 4 weeks later...

Visiting my son for Christmas this weekend in Memphis, last night we made it over to the Fedex for the Grizz-Clips game.

Sat maybe 10 rows behind the Clips bench so I could pretty much hear the transactions between players and coaches.

Willie does not look like a happy camper with the Clips. Very different from when I saw him play in Miami last year. He had 11 minutes but when he is in the Clips offense, which is up-tempo, just kind of stops. His contribution was like zillich. When returning to the bench Doc would be lecturing him like a coach was lecturing a middle school player. I did not see him do that with other players. My guess, when Blake Griffin returns Willie's MPG will go way down and possibly Willie will have to move on. 

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Visiting my son for Christmas this weekend in Memphis, last night we made it over to the Fedex for the Grizz-Clips game.

Sat maybe 10 rows behind the Clips bench so I could pretty much hear the transactions between players and coaches.

Willie does not look like a happy camper with the Clips. Very different from when I saw him play in Miami last year. He had 11 minutes but when he is in the Clips offense, which is up-tempo, just kind of stops. His contribution was like zillich. When returning to the bench Doc would be lecturing him like a coach was lecturing a middle school player. I did not see him do that with other players. My guess, when Blake Griffin returns Willie's MPG will go way down and possibly Willie will have to move on. 

I was up in the 200s and man he looked a step late. Wasn’t really involved with anything the offense was doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Willie has seen his minutes drop severely over the past few months, with a few games he sat completely.

Today he got a spot start with Deandre Jordan out with a sprained ankle.

14 pts, 13 boards on 6-6 from the floor.

It took Whiteside to get hurt last year for him to show his value. Hopefully he can get the same opportunity over the final 40 games, and get himself out from this awful contract.

Good game Willie.

1 hour ago, philliken said:

Willie has seen his minutes drop severely over the past few months, with a few games he sat completely.

Today he got a spot start with Deandre Jordan out with a sprained ankle.

14 pts, 13 boards on 6-6 from the floor.

It took Whiteside to get hurt last year for him to show his value. Hopefully he can get the same opportunity over the final 40 games, and get himself out from this awful contract.

Good game Willie.

He also was listed as the Clippers’ player of the game on the CBS Sports App game review.

Keep grindin’ Willie!!