A10 media day 2017

Cowboy

-tomorrow (10/17) is A10 media day, SLU posted Coach Ford's schedule, do they typically take a player or two to these? there was no mention - Coach might perfect saying "I can't comment"

-we'll see what the media around the league thinks of our team with the poll

-I am ready for Nov 4 and beyond with a full and healthy roster

40 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-tomorrow (10/17) is A10 media day, SLU posted Coach Ford's schedule, do they typically take a player or two to these? there was no mention - Coach might perfect saying "I can't comment"

-we'll see what the media around the league thinks of our team with the poll

-I am ready for Nov 4 and beyond with a full and healthy roster

Didnt the coaches already pick us 3 or 4th in their preseason poll earlier?

Ford interview at media day on video live about 10:40 am, assume Eastern Time.  See link to access the interview live.  I assume this free access.

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/#/topics/671986http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211673275

When asked to name individuals: High praise for Bess and French. Briefly mentioned transfers Foreman and Henriquez. Mentioned the returnees. No mention of Jordan. Obviously, that creates some anxiety since Goodwin's probably the highest rated FR in the league.

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

When asked to name individuals: High praise for Bess and French. Briefly mentioned transfers Foreman and Henriquez. Mentioned the returnees. No mention of Jordan. Obviously, that creates some anxiety since Goodwin's probably the highest rated FR in the league.

Lack of mention for Goodwin could be a result of him missing practice due to the Achilles scare.

Just now, billikens747 said:

Lack of mention for Goodwin could be a result of him missing practice due to the Achilles scare.

I hope that's it, but he also didn't mention Graves or Bishop. Although, he did name Henriquez. Probably a little bit of Billiken paranoia on my part.

Who knows, always hard to know how much to read into these interviews. It could just be him showing a bit of tough love if he isn't mentioning some of the guys who used poor judgement and are involved in that situation or it could be nothing at all and was an unintentional oversight.

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I hope that's it, but he also didn't mention Graves or Bishop. Although, he did name Henriquez. Probably a little bit of Billiken paranoia on my part.

He talked about Goodwin with Stu.  He heaped praise on Bess and French with Stu, also.

7th is fine.  It is what it is and means very little. 

Stand back and look at our roster from the vantage point of one of the other 13 media outlets.  Our three main transfers include the 31st highest scorer in the AAC for the 15-16 season, a forward from the worst team in the Big 10 who averaged single figures, and a player from Michigan State who only got in 11 minutes per game.  (Forget about Graves, he has no track record to date that is worth evaluating).  If Dayton added the 31st scorer in the AAC, a nice player from a bad Big 10 team and a player who was fading out at MSU, would we be going, "Oh my gosh - look out for Dayton!"  No we wouldn't.

If you need freshmen to carry your team, even in the A-10, you are asking for a lot unless you have a group of McD All Americans.  

So 7th is fine.  Use it, if needed, as a grudge.  Or just go out and play your best ball.

Too bad about Welmer out until conference.  This will put us only 10 deep for the OOC.  We know three players have been nicked up in practice.  Others are coming off of surgery. We lost 28 player-games last season due to injury.  Injuries will occur.  Add inevitable foul trouble, and all 10 will be seeing significant minutes in the OOC.

27 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The Arch-Baron Cup regards Dayton vs. SLU.

A little bit of background on the "Arch-Baron" Cup. Its a made up rivalry trophy thought up by the guys over at The Black Burn Review... Which is actually well run and pretty decent reading other than the fact that it is Dayton-centric. 

I believe there was an entire thread about it on this site at one point...