2017-2018 Predictions League - Main Thread and Standings

615Billiken

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I marked you down as 'registered' for the predictions league, but wanted to make sure that 'id join that' meant that you were in?

Yes I would like to join and subscribe to your newsletter. 

I guess my statement that I would probably join the league provided there's no entrance fee was too much of a waffle for you to count me?

I'll play (unless you're making us buy in).

How long will you accept participants?  I think this league would be right up @Taj79's and @The Wiz's alley but they have yet to indicate their interest.

56 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I guess my statement that I would probably join the league provided there's no entrance fee was too much of a waffle for you to count me?

How long will you accept participants?  I think this league would be right up @Taj79's and @The Wiz's alley but they have yet to indicate their interest.

Is it really fair for the Wiz to join? :)

I am in too

This isn't quite what I do...I like to predict after the Bills  (and their opponent ) are ready to face one another and I have up to date numbers. Sometimes that will work out but not much as the Bills usually play more than once a week. But I will adjust....after all I usually do pretty well in March Madness which is up to 4 weeks out. I will start to roll around the Murray St game  Dec12 (after 8 games)

Looking forward to it...should be fun as long as I remember to post on Sundays.

6 hours ago, willie said:

The Wiz is going to be wrong this year. He said we could only move 2 standard deviations. Were going 3.

Well,  actually I said we might improve 2 letter grades (to   B  )...In a best case scenario....ie ..everything goes right and falls into place .  Well we haven't even started the season yet...and the "everything goes right" scenario is out the window.  Last April I mentioned that best case scenario could put us at 22 wins and a 4th place finish. A more likely finish would be 17 wins and a 6th place finish.

In any case ...things will be better than last year.  The first week of Nov,  I will start to crank the computer up and come up with my 17-18 forecast.

3 weeks to go till the first real game and hopefully another new era of Bills Bball....tick...tick...tick

22 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

My bad! I have you down as registered now. New participants will be able to join through December. At that point, anyone who joins will have little chance at winning I wont even bother. 

The complete and updated list can be found on this thread' first post.

Putting this out there for feedback:

What would be preferable? Submitting picks via this thread or via private message to me?

Submission via thread:

Pro of submitting via this thread: Everyone can see each other's picks, which would lead to discussion, speculation, etc.

Con of submitting via this thread: It can get messy and hard to keep track off, and we will have a thread off pages and pages of weekly submissions to parse through.

Submission via PM:

Pro: much more organized for me. Will lead to weekly suspense of how many points each player has when the standings are published each week or so.

Con: You're in the dark as to who is picking whom to win each game.

Feel free to put your two cents in as I consider each submission method.

Also, does anyone know how I can create and add a poll to this thread? This will make feedback for this and other matters much easier in the future. 

I would suggest having a thread for each week's picks.

Isn't there a limit to the number of private messages posters can have and keep?  That would be a drawback to having 25 posters sending you PMs each week.

Having a thread for each week's picks -- a moderator could pin the active one to the top of the board and unpin it when the next one comes up -- would be better than trying to have one thread last for the entire season, don't you think?

2 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I would suggest having a thread for each week's picks.

Isn't there a limit to the number of private messages posters can have and keep?  That would be a drawback to having 25 posters sending you PMs each week.

Having a thread for each week's picks -- a moderator could pin the active one to the top of the board and unpin it when the next one comes up -- would be better than trying to have one thread last for the entire season, don't you think?

This is such a simple, but brilliant idea. Thanks! I think I am going to actually go with this.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-does Yahoo or CBSSports or the like have the ability to manage such a league? would be easier for players and you, I would think

I looked, and no luck. Maybe closer to the beginning of the season they will pop up, but I think that college basketball pick ems went out of vogue a few years ago. I say this because I googled to see if I could come up with something and I kid you not this espn page from 2001 was one of the top searches.

For now, I'm gonna go with Quality's idea unless I find something better. I expect year one of the league to be a but clunky at times but I'm hoping that with participation from board members, and organization and persistence on my part any kinks will be worked out and it will be an easily reproduced league year to year. 

IM IN but I have a few questions.

----For the first week of the season does it last from the first game of November 10th THROUGH the last game of Sunday November 12th or Sunday the 19th. And after that is always a one week thing?

----How will we predict games during weeks when the teams have non-conference tournaments since we will not know their next opponent? Do we guess what their overall record will be? FOR EXAMPLE: Dayton plays in the Gildan Charleston Classic from Nov. 16-19 and has 2 unknown opponents on Nov. 17 and 19.

Thanks! This is a great idea and I hope it plays out well (meaning I win)!!!

drkelsey55 likes this

On 10/26/2017 at 12:29 AM, BillsBeliever!!! said:

IM IN but I have a few questions.

----For the first week of the season does it last from the first game of November 10th THROUGH the last game of Sunday November 12th or Sunday the 19th. And after that is always a one week thing?

----How will we predict games during weeks when the teams have non-conference tournaments since we will not know their next opponent? Do we guess what their overall record will be? FOR EXAMPLE: Dayton plays in the Gildan Charleston Classic from Nov. 16-19 and has 2 unknown opponents on Nov. 17 and 19.

Thanks! This is a great idea and I hope it plays out well (meaning I win)!!!

Great questions indeed. 

The league will be divided into rounds, which will USUALLY be Monday-Sunday. You are right, the first round will be shorter since games start late in the week. Round one will be Nov. 10-12.

I am working on crafting a calendar for the November round and will have that up in the coming days on the first post of this thread. 

Regarding tournaments like the one you are referring to, I am making the decision to only include guaranteed games in the round. So for example, Dayton's first game is against Hofstra on 11/16. We don't know who they will be playing on the 17th or the 19th, so those games wont be included.  Yes, the downside is that we miss out on predicting a few games throughout the season, but I am valuing consistency over including every game.

This too will be reflected in the rules in the coming days.

7 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Great questions indeed. 

The league will be divided into rounds, which will USUALLY be Monday-Sunday. You are right, the first round will be shorter since games start late in the week. Round one will be Nov. 10-12.

I am working on crafting a calendar for the November round and will have that up in the coming days on the first post of this thread. 

Regarding tournaments like the one you are referring to, I am making the decision to only include guaranteed games in the round. So for example, Dayton's first game is against Hofstra on 11/16. We don't know who they will be playing on the 17th or the 19th, so those games wont be included.  Yes, the downside is that we miss out on predicting a few games throughout the season, but I am valuing consistency over including every game.

This too will be reflected in the rules in the coming days.

Thanks! Also, are you participating as well? Also can you put me on the list :P