2017-2018 Predictions League - Main Thread and Standings

615Billiken

I wanted to start a new little tradition (assuming that this hasn’t been done in the past). I’ve done this on another forum and it has worked pretty well. The title of the thread is pretty self explanatory. This is a predictions league running from the first day of the season all the way through the national championship.

I am hoping that least 10 people will sign up in order to make this engaging and fun. Of course, more than 10 will be welcome. In summary, this is a predictions league with a focus on the A10, given that this is our home conference. The league will include the non-conference schedule, as well as the NCAA Tournament, so it will provide plenty of opportunities to engage with the national basketball scene as well.

The league will begin on Friday November 10th before the tip off of the first A-10 team to play this season and will end at the final buzzer of the national championship game. The league will have three stages:

Stage 1) Regular Season

Stage 2) A10 Conference Tournament

Stage 3) NCAA National Tournament (Only the top 5 players from the Regular Season and A10 Conference Tournament will qualify to this stage)

Here is how the league will work:

1 correct prediction= 1 point.

1 correct prediction for SLU games= 2 points

I want to keep the points system as simple as possible. I don’t care about predicting specific scores of games. If it gets close to Final Four time and the league is very close, I might revisit this. But since there are so many games to predict, we have a good sample size and I don’t think it will be necessary.

Stages

Regular Season:

Each week I will post the upcoming games that A10 teams will play. For example, Friday night I will post the games that will be played from the coming Monday through the end of the NEXT Sunday. You will have to post before tip off of the first Monday game.

No late submissions for any round will be allowed. This may seem nit picky, and it is, but it will make it much easier to keep track of each player's picks and will not allow for a late submitter to have the 'advantage' of knowing that a player on a time had an injury mid week or is serving some type of suspension.

**Special note on regular season tournaments: When a team plays a regular season tournament, and their rivals for later in the week are unknowns, only we will only predict the first game where we know who the opponent is. So for example, Dayton's first game is against Hofstra on 11/16. We don't know who they will be playing on the 17th or the 19th, so those games wont be included.  Yes, the downside is that we miss out on predicting a few games throughout the season, but I am valuing consistency over including every game.

A10 Tournament:

This is essentially a continuation of the regular season. This will not be like a bracket, but rather we will have a new round of predictions after each round is played. Everyone will have to opportunity to predict or first round games, second round games, etc., until the A10 Championship game.

When the A10 tournament ends, only the top  places will advance to the NCAA Tournament round. For example, if there are 2 players tied for first place and two players tied for 5th, then 7 players will advance to the NCAA Tournament.

NCAA National Tournament:

As mentioned previously, the top 10 places will make it into the tournament. The same way that top teams get seeded higher and thus have an ‘advantage’, I want there to be a fine balance between the tournament being a fresh start for all those who qualified, while also making a strong regular season performance mean something. In order to accomplish this, I’ve worked out the following system. Each player that qualifies into the tournament will get an additional number of points going into the tournament based on their final position in the regular season. Here are the bonus points that will be awarded:

1st place- 5 points (Yes, the regular season champion gets a difference of two bonus place between them and the second place. Think of it as a prize. This ain’t no pee wee league)

2nd place- 4 points

3rd place- 3 points

4th place-2 points

5th place-1 points

6-10th place-tournament berth, but no extra points

This final stage of the league will be a traditional March Madness bracket. Brackets are due before the first game tip off (we will skip the play-in games because those are wack), and whoever has the best best bracket will win. Unless, of course, your regular season bonus points allow you to get ahead of the person with the best bracket and win it all.

*I might create an ESPN bracket for this stage to simplify things, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.
Sign-up

Please comment below or PM me to ‘register’. All predictions will be due via the message board, and I will keep an excel sheet or something of the like to keep score. I will announce the final list of everyone who ‘registered’ closer to the beginning of the season. Late entries will be allowed until through December, but please PM me so that I can make a note of it.

If I don’t get at least 8 players, I will not move forward with this league. I hope it generates interest and gives us another way to discuss and have fun on the board. I know it will force me to learn more about other A10 teams.

I also welcome suggestions and tweaks to the rules, and please call out any loopholes you might see with the rules/points etc. I will consider suggestions, but there is no guarantee I will change them. Sometimes one voice makes things easier than giving many people a voice.

Dates and Pick Submission:

I will create a thread for each round we play. My first post will have a list of every game played that week by A10 teams numbered chronologically (by day, many game times are still TBD). You will just post the number of the game and the team you have winning. For example, the first three games of the first round are the following:

1. Charleston Southern @ Davidson

2. Ball State @ Dayton

3. Howard @ George Washington

If I were submitting my picks, I would do the following:

1) Davidson

2) Ball State

3) George Washington

This will let me to do some quick data collection.

When will games be posted (a.k.a when will rounds be open)? I will create the thread for the round on Fridays, hopefully before 5pm.

When are picks due? They are due before the tip off of the first game of the week (usually that following Monday, however, for the first round the first game is played later in the week). 

November Rounds:

Round 1: 11/10-11-12, round will open on Friday 11/3

Round 2: 11/13-11-19, round will open on Friday 11/10

Round 3: 11/20-11/26, round will open on Friday 11/17

Round 4: 11/27-12/3, round will open on Friday 11/24

Registered Players (as of 10/20/2017 at 1:57 pm)

1. 615Billiken

2. Slufan13

3. RiseAndGrind

4. Drkelsey55

5. BillikenFan_Dan

6. Rgbilliken

7. JMM28 ?

8. Philliken

9. Billikens747

10. MattyMo213

11. BigMouthBilliken

12. Pistol

13. Mccallan18

14. Gobillsgo

15. Slubillikens43

16. Littlebill

17. Cowboy

18. Sluhomer

19. Quality is Job 1

20. Taj79

21. The Wiz

22. BillsBeliever

23. Billiken4life5

24. Waldo027

25. Billikenfan05

26. Basketbil

27. Zink

28. Nicoloj

29. tarheelbilliken

30. wgstl

31. dannyb334

32. johnbj4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Siri" is the name of the talking voice on the iPhone.  "Siri" could also be short for "serious."  JMM is saying he is interested in joining the league, not watching you watch the league.

I might considering playing — only if there's no cost or risk.  No risk other than getting beat down.  And I'd likely get beat down, because I'm highly lousy at picking things.  (Don't ask me about how my votes in the November election went in 2016; it was ugly.)

Ok so far a total of 17 people signed up. Although more are welcome and I wont set a limit as to how many people can join, I hope it doesn't get too much bigger making it unwieldy.

I anticipate that others may join, but also anticipate that others will back out or stop playing in the first weeks, so I think it will balance out. 

So far I have the following players signed up:

1. 615Billiken

2. Slufan13

3. RiseAndGrind

4. Drkelsey55

5. BillikenFan_Dan

6. Rgbilliken

7. JMM28 

8. Philliken

9. Billikens747

10. MattyMo213

11. BigMouthBilliken

12. Pistol

13. Mccallan18

14. Gobillsgo

15. Slubillikens43

16. Littlebill

17. Cowboy

Consider the first post to be a working document. I thinking through potential loopholes in the rules and will update it as I find them. For example, I decided to back away from allowing late entries for each round. I am doing this for two reasons:

1) It gives late entries a slight advantage. Lets say for example that player x submits his picks for a round (essentially a Monday-Sunday week) on Sunday night before the round begins. Their may be a crucial injury or suspension for a game later in the week. Player y submits his picks later in the week, and he takes this injury into consideration. 

2) I could allow for every player to edit their picks after initial submission but before each game's tip off. However, keeping track of 17 people changing their mind will absolutely become a headache.

I'd rather be nitpicky about submission deadlines, and have the same rule apply to all players. This rule change will be reflected in my initial post for this thread. 

Again, suggestions are welcome.