NBC Sports A10 Preview

Taj79

Talking basketball for now:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/10/09/atlantic-10-preview-rhode-island-leads-the-way/

No surprise here as Rhode Island is the pick.  The question remains obvious:  do they have a front court?  And for those not paying attention, our favorite crybaby, Danny Hurley,  is quietly amassing talent not seen in Kingston for some time.  With five guards returning, he also inked a finalist for Mr. Basketball in Pennsylvania, Darron "Fats" Russell fort he coming year.  Russell is a smallish, 5-foo-ten, 160 pound point guard from suburban Philly.  Next year, he has commitments  4-star forward Jermaine Harris and 3-star point Brendan Adams.  If ---- and this is a biog IF ---- Hurley and Rhodey accomplish this year what they did last year, I expect Hurley's name to be the biggest one out there come April and coaching chnages down the line.  He'll be one hell of a hot commodity.

I am not so quick to jump on the Mike Rhoades bandwagon at VCU.  While Shaka developed what he inherited at VCU and was a stellar recruiter, Wade rode Shaka's leftovers really well.  And Wade's success at LSU is an indication the guy can recruit.  While the cupboard is not bare for Rhoades this year (Williams and Tillman) Wade didn't do Rhoades the favor Shaka did for Wade.  We shall see; VCU will always be tough.

Grant at Dayton will have large shoes to flll losing four seniors and the winningest class ever at Dayton. Can't wait to see what the Greek Freak's brother adds but Crosby at the point is a huge question mark and the front line, while being key pieces last year, now needs to step up and carry a bigger load. 

Don't sleep on St. Joe's.  Will they all return as good from injury?  Many in Philly believe Kimble and Newkirk, if healthy, bring Fightin' Phil his best backcourt since West and Nelson and Brown, Demery, Williams and Olivia are a nice compliment.  

We get good marks but it is all speculative right now.  Gelling is the big factor there.  Our game against Va Tech is one of five to watch. 

I also second the notion to pay attention to La Salle.  Gianinni's team has to perform but again, he only goes about six deep and his teams notoriously don't have the letter "D" in their alphabet.

The rest of the article is food for thought if anything.  If all are healthy, that Nova game at Hawk Hill will be one to watch.

On a side note, my high school buddy just paid his bill for four season tickets at Nova.  Total?  About $5500.  These are second level on the bend of the Pavillin bowl. Price of success?

This was written on 10/09 w/ no mention of our "situation". Does the guy just scan  Athalon's or Street and Smith and rearrange it to fit his style? Or, did he contact Travis or the AD to find out what's up with the guy he's projecting as one of the A10's top newcomers and get the "there's no there" answer? I'm guessing it's based on previous publications' view of the Billikens.  

Magazines typically get put to bed (no pun intended) a month or so ahead of time.  Some sooner.  But this is a weblog of sorts ---- written, edited and posted when done.  It could be "scanned" as you put it or it could be that with the deafening silence on "Situation 2.0" that they went with what they had.  Or some other explanation.  In any case, it's out there for consumption.