OT: Fatal shooting on Texas Tech campus

Everything I've read on this says he was taken into custody and then he pulled a gun at the police station and killed the officer. I assume that they are (supposed to be) real police officers at the Texas Tech Police Department but that is some poor police work by the arresting officer not checking for arms. Not sure if the kid killed the arresting officer or another, but someone paid the ultimate price for a major fuok-up.

2 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Everything I've read on this says he was taken into custody and then he pulled a gun at the police station and killed the officer. I assume that they are (supposed to be) real police officers at the Texas Tech Police Department but that is some poor police work by the arresting officer not checking for arms. Not sure if the kid killed the arresting officer or another, but someone paid the ultimate price for a major fuok-up.

I just happen to be sitting next to two police officers this morning having breakfast.  I asked them about this same situation - they said that campus police go through the same police academy training and that the kid should have been frisked and cuffed.  All they could think of was a royal screw up.  Hate to say this but the guy shot kind of did it to himself - I don't mean that he deserved it but that he screwed up big time and paid big time.

21 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The other possibility is that the gun may have been taken out of the cop's own holster. It would not be the first time a police officer has been killed by his own gun. I do not know this to be the fact, I am just presenting another possibility.

No but nothing has been reported as such so it still appears that the kid had the gun.  By the way, Texas is a state that allows students to carry guns on campus.  Besides, a guy involved with drugs having a gun is not at all implausible.

23 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

No but nothing has been reported as such so it still appears that the kid had the gun.  By the way, Texas is a state that allows students to carry guns on campus.  Besides, a guy involved with drugs having a gun is not at all implausible.

Careful.  Timothy Wilson might subpoena you demanding royalties.  (I kid.)

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

The other possibility is that the gun may have been taken out of the cop's own holster. It would not be the first time a police officer has been killed by his own gun. I do not know this to be the fact, I am just presenting another possibility.

That was given as a possibility in another article I found. Apparently the student was not cuffed so either situation is possible. The TT PD surely knows but isn't saying right now.

12 hours ago, White Pelican said:

That was given as a possibility in another article I found. Apparently the student was not cuffed so either situation is possible. The TT PD surely knows but isn't saying right now.

Either way, it is unfortunately an example of a lack of vigilance by all of the officers involved, and a great example of why officers need to treat people as if they could be an animal like Hollis Daniels, even if they are the farthest thing from it.... RIP Floyd East Jr.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

This armed cop killer was taken alive and the officer didn't feel too threatened to tackle him. This is a case where the shooting is probably totally justifiable (he just killed an officer), and somehow the other officers don't feel to threatened to take him alive. I don't get it.

You don't get it because you weren't there and in that Officer's shoes.

The subject line was 'active shooter'. The body was the following:

"Reported in Cardinal Glennon Hospital ER.  Persons on South Campus shelter inside Slu building.  All others stay out of area. Police and DPS on scene."

Someone replied to SLU's tweet saying it was actually in the parking lot. This is all I know.

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

What are they going to do? Laugh the shooter to death? 

Seriously. It seems like it wasn't really that serious of an incident after all, although I don't know any more than whats been communicated via twitter.

I understand the need for the university to take all precautions, but it sure is alarming.

OK, as long as there is no actual evidence that someone fired shots inside Cardinal Glennon or in its parking lot, there is nothing to add to this other than saying that there were no shots fired, which is what I think the SLU reports are saying. Everyone agrees?