Tragedy strikes SLU recruit Carte'are Gordon

wgstl

36 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

If anyone needed anymore confirmation that Gordon plans to sign, he just posted this.

excited? You should be...

But, his friend on the right (im 90% sure its him)  got shot and killed over the weekend. 

Just now, wgstl said:

But, his friend on the right (im 90% sure its him)  got shot and killed over the weekend. 

Wow, very sad. One of his previous posts mentioned something about losing his best friend.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is terrible. Is he a student at Webster as well?

I want to say he did. Dont know for a fact, but a lot of ppl in the WG area were talking about it over the weekend. 

Like I said, im pretty sure its him in the pic.  I would hate to be wrong on something like this, but the kid has appeared in a lot of the photos hes posted when talking about his friend who died. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I want to say he did. Dont know for a fact, but a lot of ppl in the WG area were talking about it over the weekend. 

Like I said, im pretty sure its him in the pic.  I would hate to be wrong on something like this, but the kid has appeared in a lot of the photos hes posted when talking about his friend who died. 

Thanks, I certainly feel for the family and friends. I can't think of many things worse than losing a son/brother/friend at such a young age especially if this is the individual involved in the accidental shooting from the weekend.

My guess is that wgstl is correct, that the new profile photo is more of a tribute to his friend than anything else. I can't imagine going through that, especially at his age. I hope CG is getting all the support he needs right now.

37 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is just awful.  I'm 104% not OK with America being hundreds of times more prone to gun-related deaths than every other civilized country.  Especially young brothers.  Peace to Carte'are and his friends' family.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

If anyone needed anymore confirmation that Gordon plans to sign, he just posted this.

Carte'are Gordon could have star potential in St. Louis and not just for his basketball ability.  Just from the photos, his postings, and what I hear on this board (yes, limited knowledge), his attitude appears top notch and I think fans are going to love him.  He has an infectious smile, and in my mind, he is the best recruit that Ford has obtained thus far.  It is horrible that he lost his friend over the weekend.  These are kids.  It's just crazy.   

54 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Saw this article about the accidental gun death of a 17-year-old in U-City. It was Saturday afternoon; CG's tweet from Sunday morning says "last night" is when he lost his friend. I'm guessing this the same incident.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Saw this article about the accidental gun death of a 17-year-old in U-City. It was Saturday afternoon; CG's tweet from Sunday morning says "last night" is when he lost his friend. I'm guessing this the same incident.

I heard sat night walnut park

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I heard sat night walnut park

Interesting. Far too many shootings in St. Louis this weekend, sad to see this happen seemingly weekend after weekend. This one was in Walnut Park on Saturday:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/man-found-shot-in-the-head-in-walnut-park-west/article_af931e7f-4533-5f2a-b51e-b8472608895c.html

2 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Interesting. Far too many shootings in St. Louis this weekend, sad to see this happen seemingly weekend after weekend. This one was in Walnut Park on Saturday:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/man-found-shot-in-the-head-in-walnut-park-west/article_af931e7f-4533-5f2a-b51e-b8472608895c.html

+100. This thread has taken a depressing turn. Thoughts are with CG and his family and friends. Tragic. 

So I read an article about a 17-year-old being killed and he might not have been the only one in the area on Saturday? Wow. Depressing, indeed.

Again, I just hope CG is getting all the support he needs at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So I read an article about a 17-year-old being killed and he might not have been the only one in the area on Saturday? Wow. Depressing, indeed.

Again, I just hope CG is getting all the support he needs at the moment.

Sorry, that is my fault. I made an incorrect assumption. Depressing indeed and certainly sad for all those connected to these individuals like Carte'Are.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Sorry, that is my fault. I made an incorrect assumption. Depressing indeed and certainly sad for all those connected to these individuals like Carte'Are.

wgstl is also saying Walnut Park. Regardless, way too much, and horrible to see it impact a player like this.

I remember when Reggie Bryant's brother was killed. It's hard to find any words for someone close to a young shooting victim.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

My guess is that wgstl is correct, that the new profile photo is more of a tribute to his friend than anything else. I can't imagine going through that, especially at his age. I hope CG is getting all the support he needs right now.

Damn. Would there be an appropriate way for the SLU fan community to reach out in some way?

37 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

The one on the right is his older brother Chris who played for Webster.  He lost a close friend but not his brother. 

interesting. makes since that its his brother, just confused as to why he used that photo to say something about his friend.  I know the guy on the left is Coleman. 

Still sucks.  at least him updating the photo has to do with slu directly, and not indirectly due to his friend:/?

Just now, JohnnyJumpUp said:

The Walnut Park homicide was a guy in his 40s, doesn't mean it couldn't be a friend, but definetly not a 17 year old.

Im just going off of a Facebook post in this Webster groves community group, in no way does this mean the post was correct.  just reporting. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im just going off of a Facebook post in this Webster groves community group, in no way does this mean the post was correct.  just reporting. 

There could have been another homicide in Walnut Park on Saturday night I don't know about. Walnut Park is the most dangerous and violent neighborhood in St. Louis. People are shot at or shot DAILY in this neighborhood.

1 minute ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

There could have been another homicide in Walnut Park on Saturday night I don't know about. Walnut Park is the most dangerous and violent neighborhood in St. Louis. People are shot at or shot DAILY in this neighborhood.

My original post was because I was thinking his profile pic change had something to do with his friend. billiken4 said, it wasnt his friend in the pic. 

sucks nonetheless for the kid, brutal age to lose a close friend.  But ya, could still be Walnut park. bad, bad area. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

But ya, could still be Walnut park. bad, bad area. 

There was a shooting in Walnut Park on Sunday as well, sad. No idea which of the various incidents involved Carte'Are's friend (http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article177724536.html), but sad regardless.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/man-in-very-critical-condition-after-st-louis-shooting/article_f6dd6eaa-a207-5438-8897-92eb63be05ba.html