OT: SLU needs new marketing staff

15 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

what was our average attendance during the Crews years?? we still got people in the stands for a TERRIBLE HORRIBLE product... winning cures 

Joey Diehard over Timmy Fairweather.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

lol this argument essentially stops and starts with the terrible product on the floor the last 3 years 

Completely wrong. When the play on the court is bad you have to entertain in other ways. The in game presentation is so stale it’s painful. The marketing staff has changed every year the past 3 years and the in game promos remain the same, the last director just took the game script and jumbled it up as if it was some brilliant innovation. The in game production sucks. We are a pro town start doing pro type production.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Completely wrong. When the play on the court is bad you have to entertain in other ways. The in game presentation is so stale it’s painful. The marketing staff has changed every year the past 3 years and the in game promos remain the same, the last director just took the game script and jumbled it up as if it was some brilliant innovation. The in game production sucks. We are a pro town start doing pro type production.

This sounds great and it is what marketing people will try to sell you.  It is complete BS.  People go to sporting event to watch the sporting event first.  If that part of the product is crap, nothing else matters.  If people want to pay to be entertained by music or a circus act, people will pay to go to a concert or the circus instead.  The other entertainment should be used to get people there early and to keep them at the event if the game gets out hand so they spend more money at the game.

What I don't understand about basketball is the half-time entertainment.  It is stupid.  You don't want to keep people in their seats at the most obvious time for them to spend money at the concession stand.

Littlebill and slufan13 like this

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

what was our average attendance during the Crews years?? we still got people in the stands for a TERRIBLE HORRIBLE product... winning cures 

Last Five Seasons:

12-13  7,673

13-14  8,428

14-15  7,032

15-16  6,757

16-17  5,593

I always found it curious that Coach Ford consistently complemented the 'support' at the games, when in fact it was the lowest average attendance in the nine seasons at Chaifetz.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This sounds great and it is what marketing people will try to sell you.  It is complete BS.  People go to sporting event to watch the sporting event first.  If that part of the product is crap, nothing else matters.  If people want to be pay to be entertained by music or a circus act, people will pay to go to a concert or the circus instead.  The other entertainment should be used to get people there early and to keep them at the event if the game gets out hand so they spend more money at the game.

What I don't understand about basketball is the half-time entertainment.  It is stupid.  You don't want to keep people in their seats at the most obvious time for them to spend money at the concession stand.

Here’s the deal: I’m about as diehard a Billiken fan you will find. I post on this board, I know all the recruits, I’m annnoyingly Pro Slu. But I had almost no interest in actually going to the games last couple years. Why would I? I can listen on the radio, catch highlights, etc without driving down to chaifetz and committing 2.5 hours or spending 7 bucks on a beer.

Yes, the in game presentations should be better. But I'm kind of numb to that now. SLU marketing has always been bad. But you could have the best production team in the business and I'm not coming to the game to watch my team get stomped by Mineral Area CC 

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Here’s the deal: I’m about as diehard a Billiken fan you will find. I post on this board, I know all the recruits, I’m annnoyingly Pro Slu. But I had almost no interest in actually going to the games last couple years. Why would I? I can listen on the radio, catch highlights, etc without driving down to chaifetz and committing 2.5 hours or spending 7 bucks on a beer.

Why go out to eat?  You can cook dinner/drink water without driving to a restaurant and spending money/tip at a table?  In person is still better than at home for a sporting venue IMO.  Plus, the players deserve our support.

1 minute ago, teamarete said:

Why go out to eat?  You can cook dinner/drink water without driving to a restaurant and spending money/tip at a table?  In person is still better than at home for a sporting venue IMO.  Plus, the players deserve our support.

The correct analogy is: Why go out to eat at a bad restaurant that has cool decor? The answer is: I don't. I spend my money on things I enjoy. 

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Last year they got me back with the $99 ticket sale and I had a good time at most of the games.  There was hope because of those guys in sweats at the end of the bench and because Ford seemed to coach a lot more than Crews.  We won some exciting games, not against great opponents, but exciting none the less.   

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

Last year they got me back with the $99 ticket sale and I had a good time at most of the games.  There was hope because of those guys in sweats at the end of the bench and because Ford seemed to coach a lot more than Crews.  We won some exciting games, not against great opponents, but exciting none the less.   

I was at most of last year's games. The preceding two years were especially  brutal, however. 

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

The correct analogy is: Why go out to eat at a bad restaurant that has cool decor? The answer is: I don't. I spend my money on things I enjoy. 

More like your favorite restaurant that switched out the crispy duck for the crispy house sparrow for a few years 

RiseAndGrind likes this

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This sounds great and it is what marketing people will try to sell you.  It is complete BS.  People go to sporting event to watch the sporting event first.  If that part of the product is crap, nothing else matters.  If people want to be pay to be entertained by music or a circus act, people will pay to go to a concert or the circus instead.  The other entertainment should be used to get people there early and to keep them at the event if the game gets out hand so they spend more money at the game.

I get what you’re saying about it’s a circus but there’s a fine line between having complimentary entertainment that enhances be game experience and completely stupid timeout entertainment.  

13 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

The kids do need support but humans don't often spend vast sums of money and wast time to feel depressed and disgusted......Unless they are actual junkies or political junkies......... 

Not sure 100 bux constitutes a vast sum of money.  JMO.

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I get what you’re saying about it’s a circus but there’s a fine line between having complimentary entertainment that enhances be game experience and completely stupid timeout entertainment.  

But that isn't going to make people decide to come or not.

What if they scan student IDs at the end of home games, top 50-100 students who have attended the most home games have there name put in a drawing, with grand prize being paid tuition for a semester, with other prizes drawn as well. I would guess that something along those lines would bring in students.