OT: SLU needs new marketing staff

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Y'all can all attack me, but not a single one will ever do anything or contact any of your buds at slu athletics. I know a few of you work there.

Dude you know I’ve been around the program since I was 2 years old.. Sh!t I was putting up pirate game highlights  on YouTube in high school before anyone was thinking about it in the AD. I’ve fed the Athletic Department countless ideas for marketing, merchandising, etc so forgive me if I have given up on this administration.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Travis Ford is the only person at athletics worth keeping. 

Darin Hendrickson solicited donations and got the hitting facility and the turf field BY HIMSELF! But yeah just Travis Ford.

lisa stone has brought SLU women’s basketball out of that pit from the dark knight rises. But yeah just Travis Ford.

The SID’s are the best part of the AD. Mickey and BK (Jake before he left) do an amazing job. But yeah just Travis Ford. 

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dude you know I’ve been around the program since I was 2 years old.. Sh!t I was putting up pirate game highlights  on YouTube in high school before anyone was thinking about it in the AD. I’ve fed the Athletic Department countless ideas for marketing, merchandising, etc so forgive me if I have given up on this administration.

Hence the title of the thread is SLU NEEDS NEW MARKETING STAFF

30 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I just watched a couple of those the other day. Man it would tough to come by video clips back then.

GloryDays, I appreciate your desire for SLU to get things right across the board. Many of us have felt that way for years, but once you've seen them repeatedly bungle seemingly simple stuff, you become immune to it. I can't explain it, but I've seen SLU screw up so much easy stuff over the last 15 years it's not even funny. The incredible thing is that the same mistakes are made every year, regardless of who is working in the athletic department, or whoever is the AD. I've heard stories of some god awful merchandising deal that was agreed possibly before I ever attend SLU. That deal has to have ended by now, but it's still difficult  to find merchandise.

Anyway, bottom line is that if you follow SLU for 5 more years, the incompetence will eventually stop bothering you.

I applaud GloryDays for not accepting the pathetic state of SLU sports marketing.  If this has been the norm for 5 plus years or perhaps generations, it does not make it acceptable.  Sports marketing bungling effort reflects poorly on the school, the sports teams and the alums.  The b-ball team uniforms haven't been updated in years....look like a pee-wee basketball jerseys;  The next time I see Dr. Pestello at a social I plan to the general view that SLU sports marketing sucks.  Maybe if enough alums voice their opinion, withhold future financial gifts to the University, etc.  things will change.

Glorydays2013 likes this

5 hours ago, Class of 1990 said:

I applaud GloryDays for not accepting the pathetic state of SLU sports marketing.  If this has been the norm for 5 plus years or perhaps generations, it does not make it acceptable.  Sports marketing bungling effort reflects poorly on the school, the sports teams and the alums.  The b-ball team uniforms haven't been updated in years....look like a pee-wee basketball jerseys;  The next time I see Dr. Pestello at a social I plan to the general view that SLU sports marketing sucks.  Maybe if enough alums voice their opinion, withhold future financial gifts to the University, etc.  things will change.

Uniforms were completely updated last season.  This season it looks like we have a new color scheme.

I generally agree that the SLU AD needs to do a better job of catering to younger fans through their marketing efforts. Otherwise, they're potentially going to see the same future repercussions as outlined in this article:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/09/11/colleges-worry-about-future-football-fans-student-attendance-declines 

14 minutes ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I generally agree that the SLU AD needs to do a better job of catering to younger fans through their marketing efforts. Otherwise, they're potentially going to see the same future repercussions as outlined in this article:

just a question for discussion sakes.   the younger fans dont seem to interested in supporting the program with either money or consistent attendance.   when night after night it is us oldsters that show up through thick and thin, and it us oldsters that are giving nearly all of the cash to support the program.   why should the marketing efforts be about those that never seem to care?   i will hang up and listen.  

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

just a question for discussion sakes.   the younger fans dont seem to interested in supporting the program with either money or consistent attendance.   when night after night it is us oldsters that show up through thick and thin, and it us oldsters that are giving nearly all of the cash to support the program.   why should the marketing efforts be about those that never seem to care?   i will hang up and listen.  

Just because you see the same people in your section doesn’t mean that only old people show up.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Just because you see the same people in your section doesn’t mean that only old people show up.

quit being such an Azz.  if you think your bombastic attacks on the athletic department and the marketing efforts are going to get you your coveted job at slu, i am afraid to tell you you are going about it the wrong way. 

look around and you will see the majority of the crowd the last three years are the oldsters.  once the program started losing the younger crowd quit coming.  and those of us that have been showing up for decades continue to come out consistently.    

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Because you "oldsters" (you said it, not me) are attending games and supporting the program already. If you want to grow attendance you have to convert casual fans into more frequent customers. Then, maybe some of them will turn into consistent season ticket holders and financial supporters of the program.

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

quit being such an Azz.  if you think your bombastic attacks on the athletic department and the marketing efforts are going to get you your coveted job at slu, i am afraid to tell you you are going about it the wrong way. 

look around and you will see the majority of the crowd the last three years are the oldsters.  once the program started losing the younger crowd quit coming.  and those of us that have been showing up for decades continue to come out consistently.    

You seem to be hung up on this idea that I still want to work for the athletic department and you use it in lieu of an actual argument. I have 0 interest in working for the current show that is the SLU athletic department. I will continue to critique the athletic department as I see fit because I would like to see it grow outside of the little engine that could. You like being a small time donor that gets face time with Chris May I get it, makes you feel like an important guy. You don’t want to see the department get better because you’d lose that “influence”

05 there is a way to critique and suggest without the painful embarrassing outbursts you like to utilize.   Hopefully at some point in your career you will figure this out.  

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I believe most programs in the country have been supported by their old people the longest and with the most money. I’m just guessing you’ve got 40ish years in as a fan/booster after you graduated from SLU. When you attended, tuition was not an albatross for many years after you graduated. I’m not going to pretend to know your financial situation then or now, just using general facts. 

The generation that has graduated in the last 10 years is mostly still paying off school debt, getting established financially, and now have small children to pay for. There isn’t a lot of donation dollar to go around. But you don’t market to those people and think you’re going to find the new locker rooms. You market to them so that in another 10 years, they replace your generation that is snowbirding or passing off. Just marketing to the same old doesn’t grow the fanbase, doesn’t grow future donors, and generally sets the programs up for future failure. 

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

05 there is a way to critique and suggest without the painful embarrassing outbursts you like to utilize.   Hopefully at some point in your career you will figure this out.  

Roy stop insulting my intelligence. You clearly don’t understand that I know exactly what I’m doing when I do it and the why I’m doing it. Please keep attacking me and Instead ignoring more important issues including the reality that the leadership in the Athletic Department is a key contributor in the stagnation of the programs. 

i will admit i am a younger fan and the people around my school just don't support the billikens they don't realize we have a good team until i show them who will be joining the team most young fans support the big programs such as duke, north carolina the key to getting more young fans into this program and i know it's obvious but we have to be consistently good over the next couple years  and the young fans will show most are bandwagon fans and will only show for winning teams that's just the way this program is gonna get young fans just look at the student section last year hope we have a good crowd for the home opener