Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

On 10/21/2017 at 8:51 AM, DoctorB said:

Let me get this straight, Cowboy:  you are just now, this morning, taking this debacle seriously??  That actually caused me to laugh...

Evidently, Cowboy is not alone on his miscalculation -- many commenters on here have been dismissing "Situation II: The Sequel" as somehow over and done with, etc.

Don't dismiss it, folks.  That would be a very grave misunderstanding of the campus climate these days, regarding any sort of sexual harrassment, abuse, assault, etc... & by no means am I implying guilt on anyone's part, any player would be innocent until proven guilty as far as the criminal law goes.  But the on campus code of conduct is much more relevant, in this case--and much more relevant to the basketball season ahead (unless criminal charges end up being filed,, that is).  Again, check back to what happened in Situation I...

I'm pretty sure one of these days -- maybe next spring -- the Riverfront Times will get ahold of the police report, for all the dreary world to see... then everyone can get a view of the actual circumstances, and the Sturm und Drang can escalate.  But till then, watch and wait.

-did you read the headline? jeez

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I have no idea what happened, but from the reports on this board it sounds like group sex was videod in on campus housing. I bet that breaks a rule. I also doubt there is a comparable case. If that is what happened, if the school follows the rules they can impose whatever punishment is allowed under the rules without fear of having the decision overturned in court. Also, if that is what happened, do you think the school will want to give light punishment and set that as the precedent for punishment for making sex videos on campus? The only problem I would see is if they don't give the same punishment to the females involved if they engaged in the same conduct as the males.

I bet there are plenty of comparable cases. I'd bet this isn't anywhere near the first instance of group sex with video on campus. And please don't use the it can't be consentual if alcohol is involved because if that were the case there would be dozens of cases of sexual assault on campus every weekend. I know there are silly campus rules trying to prevent adults from doing things that are completely legal but if you're going to enforce them you'd better make sure you are diligent in taking equal action every time the rules are broken. I'd love to see a thousand students come out and proclaim they've had sex and filmed it on campus and that they've had sex after drinking. 

56 minutes ago, Old guy said:

3 star please, what do you mean we may reach Idiocracy within our lifetime, I think we reached it some time ago already. I will agree if your point is that it will get stupider and stupider with the passage of time.

Idiocracy was reached in 11-16. The only question left is how low do we go?

Sulfan have you seen and follow, even in a cursory fashion, what is going on with Weinstein in Hollywood. This high and mighty mogul of the cinema, apparently required sexual fees from all kinds of women as the price to get a part in movies. He did this for years. There are dozens of women coming out and speaking about their experiences with this guy while getting movie parts. Now the guy is in therapy (good chance it will change him, don't you think?), has been fired from his own company who has gone bankrupt and seeks to be bought by some investor group. 

The funny thing about this mess is that everybody in Hollywood did the same, period. No saints out there, this was business as usual. Weinstein is being crucified for doing the same as dozens of others did and continue  doing. Do you think this will spread around? It is quite likely it  will. So how is it different from what goes on in the schools, do you think this use of the Title IX umbrella may extend across campuses rapidly?

12 hours ago, dlarry said:

I'm just glad I'm not in college anymore.  

I guess I'd be considered a prude because I think having an orgy and filming it is crazy.

It blows my mind that today's college kids seem to find this normal. 

I'm not going to pretend to know what happened or if the players are innocent or not, but I do know that consensual or not, this type of behavior  was not normal 15 years ago.

Cheeseman is correct about being invited to the party.

I am not proud of what I did but we did the same things at that age the difference is I did not get caught.

Those boys like myself can learn from this and become better men.

5 hours ago, Old guy said:

3 star please, what do you mean we may reach Idiocracy within our lifetime, I think we reached it some time ago already. I will agree if your point is that it will get stupider and stupider with the passage of time.

Idiocy is in the eyes of the beholder.  One man's foolishness is another man's brilliance.  I realized that there is some moral questions involved here but even with that, you may not get agreement from everyone regarding what you may think is set in stone.  Time changes what was once unacceptable in some cases.  The key for most of us is to understand how to relate to what is now more a norm without simply throwing our hands up in despair.  Just as the pill opened up a freer sexual attitude in the '60s the idea of women having as strong of sexual drive as men is more the norm and so these kind of things happen more and more.  Thinking with the little head is not just for men anymore.  

16 hours ago, dlarry said:

I guess I'd be considered a prude because I think having an orgy and filming it is crazy.

I'm not going to pretend to know what happened or if the players are innocent or not, but I do know that consensual or not, this type of behavior  was not normal 15 years ago.

Agreed.  

HoosierPal likes this

17 hours ago, dlarry said:

You kidding me. You don’t want to relive college? Best 4 years of my life. 

moytoy12 and bonwich like this

On 10/21/2017 at 10:11 AM, 3star_recruit said:

If the police doesn't file charges and the conduct board pulls the kangaroo court stuff again, SLU will get sued this time around.  The kids have a real lawyer.

I think you meant to say, "If the police do not file charges...."  Police is not singular form.  Police refers to a group of people. 

Now, it would be okay for you to say, "If the prosecutor doesn't file charges..."  The word "doesn't" would properly be used in this manner since "prosecutor"  is in singular form.

29 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

I think you meant to say, "If the police do not file charges...."  Police is not singular form.  Police refers to a group of people. 

Now, it would be okay for you to say, "If the prosecutor doesn't file charges..."  The word "doesn't" would properly be used in this manner since "prosecutor"  is in singular form.

Will this be on the final?

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

Sulfan have you seen and follow, even in a cursory fashion, what is going on with Weinstein in Hollywood. This high and mighty mogul of the cinema, apparently required sexual fees from all kinds of women as the price to get a part in movies. He did this for years. There are dozens of women coming out and speaking about their experiences with this guy while getting movie parts. Now the guy is in therapy (good chance it will change him, don't you think?), has been fired from his own company who has gone bankrupt and seeks to be bought by some investor group. 

The funny thing about this mess is that everybody in Hollywood did the same, period. No saints out there, this was business as usual. Weinstein is being crucified for doing the same as dozens of others did and continue  doing. Do you think this will spread around? It is quite likely it  will. So how is it different from what goes on in the schools, do you think this use of the Title IX umbrella may extend across campuses rapidly?

What?

2 hours ago, willie said:

You kidding me. You don’t want to relive college? Best 4 years of my life. 

I'd love to relive my college years if i could do it the mid 90's. It was awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. I still spend a lot of my weekends with the same guys and it's great.

I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if I had to relive my college years in today's culture. 

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I'd love to relive my college years if i could do it the mid 90's. It was awesome and I wouldn't change a thing. I still spend a lot of my weekends with the same guys and it's great.

I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if I had to relive my college years in today's culture. 

College was cheaper, music was better, people were nicer because everything wasn’t political and you could actually get away from it all for a weekend because technology wasn’t so pervasive.

CBFan and NextYearBill like this

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

All it takes is one attention seeking crazy person to destroy your life today.  Fortunately in the 1980s when I dated crazy, there was no campus inquisition.  This crazy would've eaten up all the attention playing the victim and I'd be lucky to be shagging cars for Skip right now.  I did nothing wrong but that would not have saved me.  No, I would not care to relive college today.   

16 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Quality Is Job 1 has found a soulmate. ;)

slufanskip and CBFan like this