Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Here's a newsflash for some confused folks on here:  the investigation, and the university's conclusion, are far from over.  stay tuned but these kinds of things do take time.

I have no real reason to doubt what you say but I still am confused then as to why they reinstated the players.  Normally in these matters once a person has been suspended for any period of time, they are not reinstated until the matter is cleared up.  As I said, this is very confusing.

1 hour ago, DoctorB said:

Here's a newsflash for some confused folks on here:  the investigation, and the university's conclusion, are far from over.  stay tuned but these kinds of things do take time.

I would agree with you if I thought this case was going to go in front of the student conduct committee.  I don't think that is going to happen because the school brought in an outside law firm to handle the Title IX process.  I believe the outside law firm will handle the whole process on the school's part and that will greatly speed up the process.

This was probably smart on the school's part given that the Title IX guidelines have just changed again.  This reduces the chances of SLU getting sued by either side when the process is over. 

The outside law firm will also eliminate any possibility of a more lenient action against the players because they are seen as vital to the health of the basketball program at SLU. The outside lawyers will have absolutely no bias in this regard.

33 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The outside law firm will also eliminate any possibility of a more lenient action against the players because they are seen as vital to the health of the basketball program at SLU. The outside lawyers will have absolutely no bias in this regard.

They are also immune the the pressure of a bigtime SLU donor calling for them to be hanged.  An outside law firm is also more likely to be intimidated and/or impressed by the likes of Scott Rosenblum than some ivory tower professor seeing this as his opportunity to inflate himself into relevance.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I would agree with you if I thought this case was going to go in front of the student conduct committee.  I don't think that is going to happen because the school brought in an outside law firm to handle the Title IX process.  I believe the outside law firm will handle the whole process on the school's part and that will greatly speed up the process.

This was probably smart on the school's part given that the Title IX guidelines have just changed again.  This reduces the chances of SLU getting sued by either side when the process is over. 

I know this was announced, but is it official yet? I would think it's going to take some time to implement those changes.

8 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

An outside law firm is also more likely to be intimidated and/or impressed by the likes of Scott Rosenblum than some ivory tower professor seeing this as his opportunity to inflate himself into relevance.

I don't think other lawyers would be intimidated by Rosenblum, but I do think that they could be more likely to follow procedure and would be more receptive to legal arguments than an academic.

Just now, Pistol said:

I know this was announced, but is it official yet? I would think it's going to take some time to implement those changes.

Certain changes went into effect with a Q&A sheet that went out at the end of December.  The two biggest changes probably were the elimination of the 60 day time limit, the right to cross examine accusers and the fact that students accused of sexual assault have the right to choose an advisor of their choice.  

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/qa-title-ix-201709.pdf

52 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Leniency for players has never happened with the student conduct committee.  What they did Reed and Mitchell was a miscarriage of justice.  Especially what happened to Reed in light of what the police report contained.

LindellWest likes this

42 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Leniency for players has never happened with the student conduct committee.  What they did Reed and Mitchell was a miscarriage of justice.  Especially what happened to Reed in light of what the police report contained.

never underestimate the uptight, narrow minded, sheltered SLU kid. This all reminds me of 'Scent of a Woman'.... Rosenblum is Al Pacino 

TaLBErt likes this

I think the school needs to come out and say that there are no criminal charges and that it's an internal issue(titleIX). This would get the post dispatch off their back a bit. 

Is there any legal reason why they aren't saying this?  

15 hours ago, Westy03 said:

I think the school needs to come out and say that there are no criminal charges and that it's an internal issue(titleIX). This would get the post dispatch off their back a bit. 

They might get the post dispatch off their back, but get the social justice warriors riled up. 

6 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

They might get the post dispatch off their back, but get the social justice warriors riled up. 

How would announcing that this is a non criminal investigation and that the school is going through the title IX investigation rile up the social justice warriors?

i think making it known that it's a non criminal investigation is important 

15 hours ago, Westy03 said:

First of all if the DA doesn't say it then it is not official so the school has no authority to speak for the DA.  Second, an internal investigation does not have to be released to the public.  Since SLU is a private school, they are under no obligation to do so.  The Post has really dropped the story as far as I can tell - once the players started practicing they lost interest.  Probably figured out that there is no real story here.

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-the headline makes me want to take this seriously.....

Let me get this straight, Cowboy:  you are just now, this morning, taking this debacle seriously??  That actually caused me to laugh...

Evidently, Cowboy is not alone on his miscalculation -- many commenters on here have been dismissing "Situation II: The Sequel" as somehow over and done with, etc.

Don't dismiss it, folks.  That would be a very grave misunderstanding of the campus climate these days, regarding any sort of sexual harrassment, abuse, assault, etc... & by no means am I implying guilt on anyone's part, any player would be innocent until proven guilty as far as the criminal law goes.  But the on campus code of conduct is much more relevant, in this case--and much more relevant to the basketball season ahead (unless criminal charges end up being filed,, that is).  Again, check back to what happened in Situation I...

I'm pretty sure one of these days -- maybe next spring -- the Riverfront Times will get ahold of the police report, for all the dreary world to see... then everyone can get a view of the actual circumstances, and the Sturm und Drang can escalate.  But till then, watch and wait.