Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I am not expecting an official statement, just verification from an insider that it is behind us. 

I feel like there will have to be statements of some sort. No way pestello can write emails like he did at the beginning of this process then never say anything more on it.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:24 AM, NH said:

If you're a fan of both you must not be a fan of informative or thoughtful sportswriting 

Ortiz wrote a piece about SLU closing practice that was gimmicky, contained no information or critical thought, contained no context and quite frankly should have been embarrassing to the Post-Dispatch 

They're not reporters, but rather opinion writers. They are paid to provoke thought, feelings, and emotions. Both are excellent at it. Now if you can highlight specific facts that they got wrong, then I'd be willing to reconsider your criticism.

30 minutes ago, aj_arete said:

They're not reporters, but rather opinion writers. They are paid to provoke thought, feelings, and emotions. Both are excellent at it. Now if you can highlight specific facts that they got wrong, then I'd be willing to reconsider your criticism.

I'm aware they're columnists, not reporters. You say their job is to provoke thought. I find neither to be thought-provoking in the slightest. The primary "feeling" I get after reading an Ortiz article is strong feeling that I just wasted 10 minutes of my day. So in that sense he's doing a good job. Hochman seems like a nice guy who is well intentioned, I just find his writing to be utterly devoid of anything in the way of analysis or thoughtful commentary. 

You asked that I provide facts which which they got wrong, but I cannot do this given that both seem to be allergic to including anything resembling facts, statistics or informed insight.

it is clear that Ortiz fashions himself a hot-take artist, here to stir up the pot and provoke controversy. I'm certain he admires the likes of skip bayless and clay Travis. That's not my cup of tea personally but I'm sure he would be glad to hear you enjoy it.

Littlebill likes this

11 hours ago, kshoe said:

I feel like there will have to be statements of some sort. No way pestello can write emails like he did at the beginning of this process then never say anything more on it.

Sure he can - official press release saying the U completed their independent investigation and found no reason to proceed with anything other actions.  This says it all.

57 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Sure he can - official press release saying the U completed their independent investigation and found no reason to proceed with anything other actions.  This says it all.

Wouldn't that be the definition of a "statement of some sort?"

13 hours ago, kshoe said:

Agree. There has to be something to give it closure. IF there is a punishment, yet they want to keep the players names out of the news, they can't suspend them from games because that's a very public punishment. I would guess there are three possible outcomes 1) All clear  2) Some kind of punishment, but the terms of the punishment remain private "an internal matter"  3) Obviously the worst outcome, some game suspensions

You are all assuming that the process is close to the end point. The fact, real fact, is that not one of us knows exactly what is going on at this time. Since practices are apparently including everyone not injured, the tendency is to assume the process is over or will be over soon. It may or may not be. Title IX considerations and rules do not include whatever is the best result for a basketball season, they go their own merry way which is independent of the basketball season or the team needs. it is plainly unrealistic to think that the players are free and clear if you see them play this year. Maybe they are maybe they are not, assumptions and worries have nothing to do with the process. It will be done, it will be finished, and this will happen in its own time when all the requirements are fulfilled and not before, basketball practice or playing are not part of the rules they are dealing with.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

You are all assuming that the process is close to the end point. The fact, real fact, is that not one of us knows exactly what is going on at this time. Since practices are apparently including everyone not injured, the tendency is to assume the process is over or will be over soon. It may or may not be. Title IX considerations and rules do not include whatever is the best result for a basketball season, they go their own merry way which is independent of the basketball season or the team needs. it is plainly unrealistic to think that the players are free and clear if you see them play this year. Maybe they are maybe they are not, assumptions and worries have nothing to do with the process. It will be done, it will be finished, and this will happen in its own time when all the requirements are fulfilled and not before, basketball practice or playing are not part of the rules they are dealing with.

I feel like you have created an algorithm that waits every 10-15 posts and then uses somewhere between 150 - 1,000 words to basically say:

- Nothing has been determined, criminal or title IX

- We have no idea when something will be determined

- Nobody on this board knows anything

- The school has no concept of  expediency on this topic.

I'll check back in 10 posts to see what your next version says. 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I feel like you have created an algorithm that waits every 10-15 posts and then uses somewhere between 150 - 1,000 words to basically say:

+1

On 10/17/2017 at 11:42 AM, kshoe said:

Great! that is probably the best way to do it.

If you can add, you will realize that the event happened September 26, that is 21 days ago. That is the day when the letter by Pestello went out. OK so we have 21 days gone since the letter went out. The title IX investigation does not have to start until the police investigation is finished. There is no certainty that this has happened yet. After the police investigation is finished the University title IX process starts. They have 60 days to complete the University process, this is not counting any possible delays or extensions that might be granted for specific purposes. Are you aware that if the process is not followed scrupulously, the University may lose federal funding? You can bet money they will cross all the "T"s and dot all the "i"s before they complete the process. The 21 days that have passed so far are plainly not enough time for the whole process to be concluded. If you and a lot of other insecure people that need answers right now can not wrap your minds around the timetable for this thing to be processed and come back whining every 10 days or so about the fact that it all should be done by now and that you need to know NOW, then yes, it is time for me to post another installment of the same story, that can indeed by summarized as you did plus a couple of items that are missing. As follows:

- The school has no concept of  expediency on this topic. The school has gone through this before and is aware of the consequences of botching the process, they are not likely to speed things up (this correction is needed).

- About 10 days have gone by, they have surely completed the whole thing by now, the lawyers said there was no criminal event, why haven't we heard anything? 

That was a good summary kshoe but it ain't over till its over.

If you ask nicely I can switch the long version for a short: "It ain't over till its over.," would that please you and keep the whiners from going insane for the next 39+ days?

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I really don’t like seeing it talked about this way. Makes it sound like SLU is hiding wrongdoing 

That's the last thing that has happened. I am agreeing with you but remember, respecting the legal proceedings and "staying quiet" are two different things. 

SLU has hired an independent counsel to monitor its actions on this for Title IX purposes, the last thing they are doing is sweeping things under the rug. 

Just now, prebilliken said:

That's the last thing that has happened. I am agreeing with you but remember, respecting the legal proceedings and "staying quiet" are two different things. 

SLU has hired an independent counsel to monitor its actions on this for Title IX purposes, the last thing they are doing is sweeping things under the rug. 

No I understand that but when people are using the term “swept under the rug” 

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I really don’t like seeing it talked about this way. Makes it sound like SLU is hiding wrongdoing 

Next year and cheese should have used blue font