Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was thinking the same thing, but it appears they are opening up to all media and not just Frank.

Unless Jose is referring to Frank's invite as "available to the media."

This is a bad move unless both investigation are wrapped up. 

Hopefully this means things are coming to a head, one way or another.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't do this without some kind of sign-off from the University and their investigation. Even if the media isn't allowed to ask any questions, they will still see that everyone on the team is practicing and that in itself is noteworthy news in my opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is clear of any punishment but I think it at least means that the early findings from both the police and the school show that nobody is "lock them away for a long time" guilty. 

The media guys who have been critical of SLU closing practice better not show up, ask about the Situation II, and then leave when they aren't told anything about it.  I will also be upset if they are told that they get no info about Situation II and only offer up some crappy token questions, because they feel compelled to.  It will be a litmus test to see if they have just been trying to stir up a sensationalized story about the recent problem or are actually interested in the team this year.

5 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Because I appreciate your perspective, I'm curious what you thought of Ortiz's article? 

I'd only skimmed it until you asked, so I went back and read it. If I were his editor, I would have sent it back to him and told him to make clear what his point was. Then again, that would have been in the mid-2000s, when editors could actually send stuff back for more work. Well, and when there even were editors. 

kshoe and RiseAndGrind like this

12 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The media guys who have been critical of SLU closing practice better not show up, ask about the Situation II, and then leave when they aren't told anything about it.  I will also be upset if they are told that they get no info about Situation II and only offer up some crappy token questions, because they feel compelled to.  It will be a litmus test to see if they have just been trying to stir up a sensationalized story about the recent problem or are actually interested in the team this year.

The fact that they are complaining about SLU's practices being closed and haven't said a word about Mizzou's practices being closed tells you all you need to know about what the goal for the guys at the Post was.

47 minutes ago, bonwich said:

I'd only skimmed it until you asked, so I went back and read it. If I were his editor, I would have sent it back to him and told him to make clear what his point was. Then again, that would have been in the mid-2000s, when editors could actually send stuff back for more work. Well, and when there even were editors. 

So the paper is not a paper any longer, there is no editorial control over the articles and the whole thing is nothing other than what? A rumor mill, an opinion blog, a place where reporters sell themselves for audience or clicks, how would you describe it?

6 hours ago, slufan13 said:

They wouldn't do this without some kind of sign-off from the University and their investigation. Even if the media isn't allowed to ask any questions, they will still see that everyone on the team is practicing and that in itself is noteworthy news in my opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is clear of any punishment but I think it at least means that the early findings from both the police and the school show that nobody is "lock them away for a long time" guilty. 

No one will know for sure until the "fat lady sings" but I find it hard to believe that those players involved would be allowed to practice and continue with school if a suspension of any consequences was in the ofting

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

No one will know for sure until the "fat lady sings" but I find it hard to believe that those players involved would be allowed to practice and continue with school if a suspension of any consequences was in the ofting

I don't remember how things happened in Situation 1.0. Were Kwamain and Willie practicing before being suspended?

2 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I don't remember how things happened in Situation 1.0. Were Kwamain and Willie practicing before being suspended?

I want to say the punishment was announced like the day before the first practice. I saw the coaching staff at Adriana's the day of the first practice and I know the punishments had just come out shortly before that.

This may be an entirely correct fact ChosenOne, but I thought Situation #1 had occurred way before practice for the season started that year. If that was the case they must have had ample time to process the issue and to determine the sanctions that were to be applied with plenty of time before practice started. This is not the case now, at least the timing may not be the same as it was the prior time.

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This may be an entirely correct fact ChosenOne, but I thought Situation #1 had occurred way before practice for the season started that year. If that was the case they must have had ample time to process the issue and to determine the sanctions that were to be applied with plenty of time before practice started. This is not the case now, at least the timing may not be the same as it was the prior time.

I think the "situation" itself occurred in the spring. The month of May I think. The hammer didn't drop until the fall.

3 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Well the timing for sure of both incidents were different.  Once the DA had decided not to do anything to KM and Willie then things kind of went back to normal.  It wasn't until some people kept pushing for the school to do something did the school take action.  From my memory, I do not believe practice had begun yet.  I still think that if the school was going to do anything substantial that they would not let them begin practicing - attending class is not any different then the first incident but when the ruling came down for that the semester was not this far along.  At this rate, the decision will probably come after the semester is mostly over and this makes for a messy situation.  I guess I just think that the longer this goes on the less likely any substantial action will be taken by the school.  Now if the DA decides to file charges then all bets are off.  Of course as they say - you can take this and a quarter and buy a cup of coffee.

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

From my memory, I do not believe practice had begun yet.  I still think that if the school was going to do anything substantial that they would not let them begin practicing - attending class is not any different then the first incident but when the ruling came down for that the semester was not this far along.

7 years ago to the day the decision came down. Practice began a few days later on that Saturday, October 16th.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/article_ea1cd948-d70a-11df-9ba1-00127992bc8b.html

48 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

So there was another e-mail sent to students about 20 minutes ago about another sexual assault allegation that happened this morning. No indication that it is related to situation 2.0 at all, but wonder if it may bring renewed and unwanted attention to it. 

Each incident needs to stand on its own evidence.  Anything else would be wrong.  

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

So there was another e-mail sent to students about 20 minutes ago about another sexual assault allegation that happened this morning. No indication that it is related to situation 2.0 at all, but wonder if it may bring renewed and unwanted attention to it. 

Any mention of student athletes?

6 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Any mention of student athletes?

No. It seems like just a standard e-mail reporting a crime or sexual assault on campus. I really don't think there is any reason to believe they are connected. I just wonder if it might lead to unwanted attention, given the current national and social media climate regarding sexual assault (I.e the 'Me too' thing stemming from the Harvey Weinstein ordeal).

10 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

No. It seems like just a standard e-mail reporting a crime or sexual assault on campus. I really don't think there is any reason to believe they are connected. I just wonder if it might lead to unwanted attention, given the current national and social media climate regarding sexual assault (I.e the 'Me too' thing stemming from the Harvey Weinstein ordeal).

No. No such thing as unwanted attention if the players did nothing wrong