Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I wouldn't try to read anything into a tweet from Goodwin.  He has been posting cyptic stuff for over a year.  Most of the time it never is what you think it is.

You're 100% right but I can't stop my stupid brain from trying to understand it.

10 hours ago, dlarry said:

Cussamano just had some good news on channel 5 news. 

He said interim suspensions have been lifted and all 4 players are attending class and practicing. 

He said Roosenbloom told him he expects charges to be dropped soon. 

I was unaware they were suspended but this is good news.

So can anyone confirm this?  I am excited, but not ready to accept this is 100% accurate yet.  The mention of "charges to be dropped soon" is awkward as there were no charges filed.  While I understand what is being said, it makes me hesitate.  The fact that interim suspensions may have been in place (showing the school took it very seriously and acted quickly - as they should) as well as them being dropped (meaning the school has seen enough to move on) is potentially the biggest deal.

10 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

So can anyone confirm this?  I am excited, but not ready to accept this is 100% accurate yet.  The mention of "charges to be dropped soon" is awkward as there were no charges filed.  While I understand what is being said, it makes me hesitate.  The fact that interim suspensions may have been in place (showing the school took it very seriously and acted quickly - as they should) as well as them being dropped (meaning the school has seen enough to move on) is potentially the biggest deal.

Yeah, this kind of seems like a big deal. 

18 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I don’t think you can take anything away from it yet. I don’t think they were under suspension by order of the school. Probably suspended by Ford. 

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t think you can take anything away from it yet. I don’t think they were under suspension by order of the school. Probably suspended by Ford. 

Ford is an agent of the school.

I'm wary of trying to parse every word that Frank relays in a 20 second bit on the 10 o'clock news. 1) I don't think he gives all that much thought into the exact context of what he says and 2) we are currently trying to parse words on a single interpretation of what Frank said.

In general it was good news though...

TheChosenOne likes this

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm wary of trying to parse every word that Frank relays in a 20 second bit on the 10 o'clock news. 1) I don't think he gives all that much thought into the exact context of what he says and 2) we are currently trying to parse words on a single interpretation of what Frank said.

Also, Frank's reports haven't always been accurate. Hoping for something a little more official soon to confirm this.

16 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Frank's comments seem to relate more to the legal aspect of the situation (so good news that it sounds like there is nothing there), but if it was meant to apply to the University conduct board or whatever you call it and the "victims" have decided against moving forward there or the University has, that would be big time news.

22 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Frank's comments seem to relate more to the legal aspect of the situation (so good news that it sounds like there is nothing there), but if it was meant to apply to the University conduct board or whatever you call it and the "victims" have decided against moving forward there or the University has, that would be big time news.

This. Although, from everything we know they had never been charged with anything by the authorities. I guess you could read a suspension as being "charged" by the school. If it was totally consensual followed up by false charges, time to put this to rest. Let Travis punish them with violating team rules.

Frank just reiterated on his show that he talked to Rosenblum last night and the suspensions have been lifted. They are very confident that charges will not be filed against the players. They are also working with the university (Title IX) with their investigation. 

4 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just reiterated on his show that he talked to Rosenblum last night and the suspensions have been lifted. They are very confident that charges will not be filed against the players. They are also working with the university (Title IX) with their investigation. 

The lifting of suspensions is important but the Title IX part is the key. 

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This. Although, from everything we know they had never been charged with anything by the authorities. I guess you could read a suspension as being "charged" by the school. If it was totally consensual followed up by false charges, time to put this to rest. Let Travis punish them with violating team rules.

Just to clarify this point, a person may be accused and under investigation (sometimes for a long time) but will not be charged for anything until there is enough evidence to warrant a formal charge which will then go to trial, or not depending on how the charged person pleads. The fact that they are not charged so far means, at this time, that the investigation is still going on. The defense lawyers, as has been said, will inject their own statements (not official statements) into the media claiming that there are no charges. This is correct as it goes, but does not mean that the accused will not be charged ultimately. It is still too early to reach conclusions. If you cannot control your anxiety about this proceeding with all it twists and turns please call your doctor and get a Valium prescription. Official statements will be forthcoming, they will come when they come, not before. Cusumano and his sources have nothing to do with the official statement that will be forthcoming sometime.

So far we don't know what the hell's happened regarding charges filed and/or later dropped. I doubt Frank does either. If the investigation is ongoing and results in charges being filed, it's pretty much game over and playing basketball will be the least of their concerns. Recall in '11,  the players involved were never charged criminally, but the school determined rules of student conduct were violated that required a "trial" which eventually resulted in the suspensions.