Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Tom Petty >>> Prince

Have you ever seen the My Guitar Gently Weeps video from concert celebrating George Harrison? Both the 2 mentioned plus guy caught on Pistol's screen shot are prominent on it. One stands out

3 hours ago, almaman said:

Have you ever seen the My Guitar Gently Weeps video from concert celebrating George Harrison? Both the 2 mentioned plus guy caught on Pistol's screen shot are prominent on it. One stands out

I went back and rewatched. Petty does stand out doesn’t he. Great call. 

12 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I went back and rewatched. Petty does stand out doesn’t he. Great call. 

Well, gotta respond:  first, not sure if you two are both, or either, kidding here or not (Maybe you guys were being ironic or something... and if so, haha).  So allow me to clarify:

Great cover version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  It's not a tribute concert, it was Rock and Roll HOF induction.  Mike Campbell is not the one playing the Clapton solo, first of all; it was played by Jeff Lynne's guitarist;  and ps-- Lynne is also remarkable, along with Steve Winwood.  But if you are implying that Tom Petty (I'm a huge fan of all those guys, btw) is the person who stands out in that video, you are way off the mark.  Prince's performance is stellar and has been called one of the great performances ever at the HOF.  The technical brilliance is perhaps only grasped by actual guitarists, including a large number of intricate techniques that Prince just sort of does, effortlessly.  Trust me when I tell you, Tom was a great songwriter but he cannot play anymore near that stratosphere... maybe Eddie Van Halen!  But read this great article and witness the genius of Prince's performance.  Even Petty admits he melted the stage... & I'm not arguing that Prince > Tom Petty, btw -- that's a silly comparison;  I'm just making sure everyone recognizes the guitar mastery of Prince, who really was the one who stood out, and how awesome that performance really was.  The story is a good one -- with basically ZERO rehearsal...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/arts/music/prince-guitar-rock-hall-of-fame.html

A few things I like from the performance. First, Prince's solo sounded like it was written for the song like it was the song not a guitarist going off and showing off (which to me happens a lot). Next, how when Jeff Lynne sings the song sounds like an ELO song, and 3rd George's sons face everytime he looks at Prince. 

Tom Petty is a very good songwriter and  musician. Prince is a musical genius. His  legacy doesn't just lie in his own music which is amazing, but within all of the artists he influenced. From Chaka Kahn's I feel for you to Sinead O'Conner's Nothing Compares to You to the Bangles ... the list goes on and on.  The day Prince died I went home and sat and watched his videos all night with tears in my eyes. Just couldn't fall asleep. I saw him twice wish it had been many more times. 

2 hours ago, juniorbill76 said:

Link?

I saw Prince live 3 times.  Wish I'd seen him a hundred times.  Not only technically superior, Prince could have stepped into any rock band on the planet and picked up any instrument and been the best musician in the band, but a world class showman as well.  The two rarely mix.  Where does the guitar go at the end?  He planned that with no one.  Didin't rehearse it.  Just threw it up in the air and had someone up there to catch it.  

Zink and slufanskip like this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

A few things I like from the performance. First, Prince's solo sounded like it was written for the song like it was the song not a guitarist going off and showing off (which to me happens a lot). Next, how when Jeff Lynne sings the song sounds like an ELO song, and 3rd George's sons face everytime he looks at Prince. 

Tom Petty is a very good songwriter and  musician. Prince is a musical genius. His  legacy doesn't just lie in his own music which is amazing, but within all of the artists he influenced. From Chaka Kahn's I feel for you to Sinead O'Conner's Nothing Compares to You to the Bangles ... the list goes on and on.  The day Prince died I went home and sat and watched his videos all night with tears in my eyes. Just couldn't fall asleep. I saw him twice wish it had been many more times. 

Plus Prince could ball.

62a.jpg