Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"....only evidence of how NOT credible the accusers is AT ALL....."

wow this is not going to go well with anyone involved. .   

Those that have posted this being a SLU issue with the suspension have been proven correct by the lawyers statement.

One of two things will probably happen the players will play at the end of the semester or at least 2 will move on.  I think Graves has time to wait it out, this is just speculation.

56 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Those that have posted this being a SLU issue with the suspension have been proven correct by the lawyers statement.

One of two things will probably happen the players will play at the end of the semester or at least 2 will move on.  I think Graves has time to wait it out, this is just speculation.

Double-edged sword; Freddy Ballgame having to stay the course on the social justice aspect of SLU's mission statement and appeasing the warriors, while at the same time trying to protect the investment made to the revenue driving basketball program. He has to at least keep up appearances with one group while walking on eggshells with the other. 

Spoon-Balls and SLU_Nick like this

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This matter can be temporarily solved by simply getting an injunction to let the players play.  I have no idea what the school actually is expecting.

How would that happen? Also, could you imagine the ramifications with the student body? I mean, in an ironic way, since they'd have to buy tickets to protest at the game, but I'm sure a scene would unfurl. 

25 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

How would that happen? Also, could you imagine the ramifications with the student body? I mean, in an ironic way, since they'd have to buy tickets to protest at the game, but I'm sure a scene would unfurl. 

I’ve heard SLU has known the results of the external investigation for some time now, but is stalling until Winter Break to render its ruling... would be shocking, I know... 😑

Imagine if we get welmer, graves, AD, and Bishop back for conference play. In the beginning teams will have no idea how to play against us since a third of our team is different from the first half of the year. Well be a lot better. Would be quite the comeback if we go like 15-3 in conference play after going like 6-7 in noncon

5 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I don't understand the point of waiting until winter break. It's not as if the students are magically not gonna realize they return. They will go to the games and see them playing or hear about it no matter what

Winter Break gives everyone an excuse for being unavailable to the media once the final word is out.

2 minutes ago, ARon said:

Winter Break gives everyone an excuse for being unavailable to the media once the final word is out.

Plus, if you keep delaying the decision the players might decide to leave on their own.  That way you don't have to deliver a decision that will piss people off.

9 minutes ago, ARon said:

Technically, that would hold true for 99% of the student body, but not the basketball team. They play seven (7) games during the time period that falls under the University Academic Calendar "winter break" 

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Plus, if you keep delaying the decision the players might decide to leave on their own.  That way you don't have to deliver a decision that will piss people off.

It sure looks that way and we will know soon at the semester break.

Off topic from this post some posts back you think that it will hurt recruiting but I am hoping that coach Ford can spin this positive and also the players that remain can help out with the positive spin.

34 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Technically, that would hold true for 99% of the student body, but not the basketball team. They play seven (7) games during the time period that falls under the University Academic Calendar "winter break" 

Being true and being a convenient excuse are rarely the same thing.

Although needing an excuse to avoid making decisions is weak and the sign of poor leadership. So I am sure this is how it will play out.

27 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

After this fiasco, Coach Ford will follow the players out the door in two years. It's almost like that's what the ladies on the student conduct board want.

This would mean SLU has a great year next year. In that case, thanks Coach Ford!

On 12/7/2017 at 9:09 PM, kmbilliken said:

If he transfers at the semester, does he have to sit out until 2nd semester next year? Would he only have that final semester to play? If so, he ought to look to go play pro ball somewhere now and forget about college ball.

Situation 1 was followed up with an outstanding season, mainly with the addition of Mitchell to the current roster of holdovers. Bring back most of this roster full of experience and add Gordon and Santos and things are still in great shape for a run, likely not as dynamic as 2012, but who knows if lightning could strike twice.

2 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

How this happens is that the lawyer goes to a court and asks for an injunction against them not playing ruling the school has made to date.  In fact they could have done this at the beginning.  The court issues the injunction and then the players and school go to court to hash it out but they would not be held out until the court rules.  It happens all the time.

Bobby Metzinger likes this

27 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How this happens is that the lawyer goes to a court and asks for an injunction against them not playing ruling the school has made to date.  In fact they could have done this at the beginning.  The court issues the injunction and then the players and school go to court to hash it out but they would not be held out until the court rules.  It happens all the time.

Heck, seems like the NFL deals with this every week with some player/some issue.

31 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why not bring this injunction the eve of the first game of the season then? There would have been a good month and change of time elapsed in which I'm sure the players, coaching staff, attorneys would have at least be read into some of the possible outcomes. 

28 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Why not bring this injunction the eve of the first game of the season then? There would have been a good month and change of time elapsed in which I'm sure the players, coaching staff, attorneys would have at least be read into some of the possible outcomes. 

I agree - I wonder if they thought they had a better chance to let the ruling come down then go to court.