Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, kmbilliken said:

If the violation is posting the video, did all three post it? I doubt that and I doubt all three concurred it should be done. If they did, it looks bad for all three. If it was just one, it looks bad for that one. 

If that is the case, I hope Graves was the poster.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Attention Billiken shoppers, the trolls last name is Schaper, he’s the infamous stltoday.com troll, he’s a self proclaimed SLU graduate who wipes himself with his SLU diploma while tossing of in his 1988 Notre Football half shirt to a Tony Rice picture.  Please igonore her temper tantrums.

As a SLU fan I must say this, $hit the cubs eventually won the whole Fu€king thing....

21 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm sorry you didn't get to have sex before 30 trollkowski. It's not their fault.

Making fun of people is really the sign you have no argument or defense of your position.

How do you know that?

Is the investigation over.

Please post your proof.

14 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

You've brought up the duke lacrosse case a few times now.    So apparently you believe the players are going to be declared guilty and booted out of school and a year later found to be innocent?  

The difference sherlock, duke was dealing with the law.  The players had been arrested and charged.    st louis police after nearly 3 months of reviewing the evidence saw no reason to press any charges in our case.  This is all on the keystone university title 9 group.    

I have no idea.

Neither do you.

Can you guarantee the players won't be criminally charged?

If you are that upset don't go or watch a game until this is finished.

Don't donate and buy tickets.

When they call you to ask you why - tell them - see if they are going to change it because of you.

They won't.

For those who don't have a subscription, here is the story from The Athletic.

Billikens struggle on the court as issues loom off of it

By Mitchell Forde

ST. LOUIS — The numbers were not good for the Saint Louis Billikens. Eight scholarship players were in uniform for a game last week against Southern Illinois, two of them sick, one in foul trouble. For almost the entire second half, coach Travis Ford had no bench.

“If we run out of players,” Ford told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch afterward, “we go with four.”

It didn't come to that, as SLU’s five rallied for a 74-69 victory that pumped some life back into a season that began with high hopes but has been undercut by high anxiety. As the player shortage illustrated, the momentum Ford has tried to build in his second season at SLU has run into some significant obstacles.

Ford arrived on the rebound after being fired by Oklahoma State and wasted no time making a splash. Before coaching his first game for the Billikens, he dangled the promise of immediate playing time to land commitments from three four-star recruits. He also persuaded five transfers to join the team. Excitement stirred around a program that had fallen on hard times after earning a fourth and a fifth seed in the 2013 and '14 NCAA Tournaments.

“A big thing that we talked to the recruits about was the opportunity to be able to come in and play and help reestablish the program that stood in the top 10 four or five years ago,” Ford says.

The hype peaked on Nov. 16, when SLU beat Virginia Tech 77-71 in a 2K Classic game at Madison Square Garden. Taking down an ACC team that made the NCAA Tournament last season seemed like a sign of big things to come for the Billikens. “When everybody walked out of that arena, there was a bounce in our step that we hadn’t had for a couple years,” SLU athletics director Chris May says.

The bounce didn't last long. The win in the Garden was followed by four straight losses, including home defeats to Detroit Mercy and Western Michigan and a 30-point thumping at Butler. The Billikens lost again on Saturday, at home to Houston by 19 points. The slide can at least partially be attributed to the lack of bodies at Ford’s disposal.

Nine games into the season, SLU is 4-5, and the hype surrounding the talent on the court has taken a back seat to concerns off of it.

===

The news broke on Sept. 28, two days before the start of official practices: Four unnamed SLU players had been accused by three women of sexual assault in the early morning hours of Sunday, Sept. 24. Police are reportedly still investigating the incident, and the university launched a Title IX investigation. That report could be released at any time. Beyond that, school officials have offered little information regarding the allegations.

The Billikens were already dealing with a distraction before the news of the sexual allegations became public. Two days earlier, another story shook the college basketball landscape to its core. Following an FBI investigation into fraud and corruption in recruiting, federal authorities arrested 10 men, including assistant coaches at Auburn, Arizona, USC and Oklahoma State, Ford's previous place of employment. SLU wasn’t implicated in the FBI findings, but there was concern that its coach might be.

On Oct. 11, The Oklahoman reported that a New York grand jury had filed a subpoena for documents and communications regarding “actual or potential NCAA rules violations” within the Oklahoma State basketball program dating to Jan. 1, 2014. The news came about two weeks after Cowboys assistant coach Lamont Evans was arrested on bribery charges. (Evans has since been fired.)

Ford was in Stillwater for eight years and coached through the end of the 2015-2016 season. Evans was hired by Ford’s successor, Brad Underwood, and the FBI alleges Evans accepted money to “exert his influence over certain student athletes” at both Oklahoma State and South Carolina, his previous stop. Ford has not been linked to the U.S. Attorney's complaint, but the grand jury requested information covering Ford's final two seasons with the Cowboys, which aroused curiosity within the sport.

Ford has declined to comment about the case. Asked whether anyone in the SLU administration has expressed concern over the FBI investigation, Ford simply said, “No. Nothing.” His response to an inquiry about the sexual assault allegations was similarly curt.

Like Ford, SLU officials have been virtually silent about the investigations. Asked about the federal subpoena at Oklahoma State, May said that no one at SLU had been contacted by the FBI, adding, “We don’t anticipate it.”

Last Monday, the school provided its first update on the sexual-assault investigation in more than two months, but even that was terse. In an email to SLU students and administrators, president Fred Pestello said he expects a preliminary report from the Title IX investigation in the coming days.

The university has not named the players being investigated, but Central Florida transfer Adonys Henriquez and redshirt sophomore Jermaine Bishop haven’t been in the building for any of the team’s first nine games — hence the shorthanded roster. The school has not addressed the reason for the players’ absence. Ty Graves hasn’t been on the bench all season either, though he is not eligible to play until the conclusion of the fall semester after transferring from Boston College midway through last year.

Ford, 48, was 12-21 in his first season at SLU, yet expectations among SLU fans remain high. “I don’t know where we’ll end up at the end of the year, but I guarantee we’re going to be a lot better than last year, and every year after, we’re going to be a lot better than the year before,” says Richard Chaifetz, a SLU grad who donated $12 million toward the construction of the 10,600-seat, on-campus arena that bears his name. “The program is beginning to take off again, and I’m very excited about the future of Saint Louis basketball.”

That hype has a lot to do with Ford’s recruiting ability. Excitement for this season started to build in August 2016, when 6-foot-3 guard Jordan Goodwin, a four-star recruit from just across the Mississippi in Belleville, Ill., spurned Missouri, Illinois and Alabama for the Billikens. Fellow four-star prospect Hasahn French, a 6-foot-7 forward from Middletown, N.Y., soon followed.

Two days after SLU landed French, Carte’Are Gordon, a four-star power forward from Webster Groves in St. Louis who was rated the top prospect in Missouri in the 2018 recruiting class at the time, committed to the Billikens. Gordon signed his letter of intent last month.

Going back to his introductory press conference, Ford has emphasized keeping St. Louis area talent at home. “We don’t have the NBA,” he says. “The closest Division 1 school is two hours away. So you have the opportunity to come in and represent not just the university but to come in and represent the city that you love so much, and that has resonated.”

Ford is happy to talk about the recruiting wins, and even the Xs and Os of his team’s on-court struggles. However, every time he’s been asked about the lingering Title IX and federal investigations, he has dodged the question. “My entire focus is on the next game” has become his mantra.

SLU fans would prefer to adopt the same mindset. But until there is a resolution and Ford adds more depth, it’s impossible to watch the Billikens without being reminded of the likely reason for their depleted bench.

43 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Can you guarantee the players won't be criminally charged?

a 3 on 3 he said she said with a video of the event do you really think a sexual assault charge wouldnt already have been filed if warranted?   at what point do you ever become embarrassed for idiocy you post on these boards?   i know 6 year olds that could put you to shame on reasoning and debate.   please just go away.  you are just about the worst thing that has ever shown up at billikens.com.

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

For those who don't have a subscription, here is the story from The Athletic.

Billikens struggle on the court as issues loom off of it

By Mitchell Forde

ST. LOUIS — The numbers were not good for the Saint Louis Billikens. Eight scholarship players were in uniform for a game last week against Southern Illinois, two of them sick, one in foul trouble. For almost the entire second half, coach Travis Ford had no bench.

“If we run out of players,” Ford told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch afterward, “we go with four.”

It didn't come to that, as SLU’s five rallied for a 74-69 victory that pumped some life back into a season that began with high hopes but has been undercut by high anxiety. As the player shortage illustrated, the momentum Ford has tried to build in his second season at SLU has run into some significant obstacles.

Ford arrived on the rebound after being fired by Oklahoma State and wasted no time making a splash. Before coaching his first game for the Billikens, he dangled the promise of immediate playing time to land commitments from three four-star recruits. He also persuaded five transfers to join the team. Excitement stirred around a program that had fallen on hard times after earning a fourth and a fifth seed in the 2013 and '14 NCAA Tournaments.

“A big thing that we talked to the recruits about was the opportunity to be able to come in and play and help reestablish the program that stood in the top 10 four or five years ago,” Ford says.

The hype peaked on Nov. 16, when SLU beat Virginia Tech 77-71 in a 2K Classic game at Madison Square Garden. Taking down an ACC team that made the NCAA Tournament last season seemed like a sign of big things to come for the Billikens. “When everybody walked out of that arena, there was a bounce in our step that we hadn’t had for a couple years,” SLU athletics director Chris May says.

The bounce didn't last long. The win in the Garden was followed by four straight losses, including home defeats to Detroit Mercy and Western Michigan and a 30-point thumping at Butler. The Billikens lost again on Saturday, at home to Houston by 19 points. The slide can at least partially be attributed to the lack of bodies at Ford’s disposal.

Nine games into the season, SLU is 4-5, and the hype surrounding the talent on the court has taken a back seat to concerns off of it.

===

The news broke on Sept. 28, two days before the start of official practices: Four unnamed SLU players had been accused by three women of sexual assault in the early morning hours of Sunday, Sept. 24. Police are reportedly still investigating the incident, and the university launched a Title IX investigation. That report could be released at any time. Beyond that, school officials have offered little information regarding the allegations.

The Billikens were already dealing with a distraction before the news of the sexual allegations became public. Two days earlier, another story shook the college basketball landscape to its core. Following an FBI investigation into fraud and corruption in recruiting, federal authorities arrested 10 men, including assistant coaches at Auburn, Arizona, USC and Oklahoma State, Ford's previous place of employment. SLU wasn’t implicated in the FBI findings, but there was concern that its coach might be.

On Oct. 11, The Oklahoman reported that a New York grand jury had filed a subpoena for documents and communications regarding “actual or potential NCAA rules violations” within the Oklahoma State basketball program dating to Jan. 1, 2014. The news came about two weeks after Cowboys assistant coach Lamont Evans was arrested on bribery charges. (Evans has since been fired.)

Ford was in Stillwater for eight years and coached through the end of the 2015-2016 season. Evans was hired by Ford’s successor, Brad Underwood, and the FBI alleges Evans accepted money to “exert his influence over certain student athletes” at both Oklahoma State and South Carolina, his previous stop. Ford has not been linked to the U.S. Attorney's complaint, but the grand jury requested information covering Ford's final two seasons with the Cowboys, which aroused curiosity within the sport.

Ford has declined to comment about the case. Asked whether anyone in the SLU administration has expressed concern over the FBI investigation, Ford simply said, “No. Nothing.” His response to an inquiry about the sexual assault allegations was similarly curt.

Like Ford, SLU officials have been virtually silent about the investigations. Asked about the federal subpoena at Oklahoma State, May said that no one at SLU had been contacted by the FBI, adding, “We don’t anticipate it.”

Last Monday, the school provided its first update on the sexual-assault investigation in more than two months, but even that was terse. In an email to SLU students and administrators, president Fred Pestello said he expects a preliminary report from the Title IX investigation in the coming days.

The university has not named the players being investigated, but Central Florida transfer Adonys Henriquez and redshirt sophomore Jermaine Bishop haven’t been in the building for any of the team’s first nine games — hence the shorthanded roster. The school has not addressed the reason for the players’ absence. Ty Graves hasn’t been on the bench all season either, though he is not eligible to play until the conclusion of the fall semester after transferring from Boston College midway through last year.

Ford, 48, was 12-21 in his first season at SLU, yet expectations among SLU fans remain high. “I don’t know where we’ll end up at the end of the year, but I guarantee we’re going to be a lot better than last year, and every year after, we’re going to be a lot better than the year before,” says Richard Chaifetz, a SLU grad who donated $12 million toward the construction of the 10,600-seat, on-campus arena that bears his name. “The program is beginning to take off again, and I’m very excited about the future of Saint Louis basketball.”

That hype has a lot to do with Ford’s recruiting ability. Excitement for this season started to build in August 2016, when 6-foot-3 guard Jordan Goodwin, a four-star recruit from just across the Mississippi in Belleville, Ill., spurned Missouri, Illinois and Alabama for the Billikens. Fellow four-star prospect Hasahn French, a 6-foot-7 forward from Middletown, N.Y., soon followed.

Two days after SLU landed French, Carte’Are Gordon, a four-star power forward from Webster Groves in St. Louis who was rated the top prospect in Missouri in the 2018 recruiting class at the time, committed to the Billikens. Gordon signed his letter of intent last month.

Going back to his introductory press conference, Ford has emphasized keeping St. Louis area talent at home. “We don’t have the NBA,” he says. “The closest Division 1 school is two hours away. So you have the opportunity to come in and represent not just the university but to come in and represent the city that you love so much, and that has resonated.”

Ford is happy to talk about the recruiting wins, and even the Xs and Os of his team’s on-court struggles. However, every time he’s been asked about the lingering Title IX and federal investigations, he has dodged the question. “My entire focus is on the next game” has become his mantra.

SLU fans would prefer to adopt the same mindset. But until there is a resolution and Ford adds more depth, it’s impossible to watch the Billikens without being reminded of the likely reason for their depleted bench.

-thanks for posting the article as I am not a subscriber to the Athletic

-who is the writer? do they attend games? practice?

-I don't remember there being much of stir, if any, about Coach Ford when the FBI/shoe thing was announced, am I misremembering or is the writer trying to be dramatic?

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Welmer should be playing next game thankfully. That should help with shooting and limit foreman and Rasheed 

I wouldn't get too exited about Wellmer. There's a lot of rust to shake off as he's just been cleared. Also, it's a foot thing, which he's had in the past, foot injuries are many times the most nagging of injuries a player deals with.

I don't understand Foreman. He looked really solid against VT and now has regressed.

13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I don't remember there being much of stir, if any, about Coach Ford when the FBI/shoe thing was announced, am I misremembering or is the writer trying to be dramatic?

If you're familiar with Pat Forde, Mitchell is his son.  He was writing for the P-D recently, I believe as an intern.

13 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I believe the reporter used to do some work for the Post Dispatch, but I don't know how much he has been around the team.

I also don't remember there being a lot of concern regarding Ford and the FBI investigation.

As far as subscribing to The Athletic, I'm a big fan. The stories are always very well written and researched. It's also really nice reading a story and not having to bother with taking surveys to read the story, having videos automatically start playing or having your screen cluttered by a bunch of ads.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

a 3 on 3 he said she said with a video of the event do you really think a sexual assault charge wouldnt already have been filed if warranted?   at what point do you ever become embarrassed for idiocy you post on these boards?   i know 6 year olds that could put you to shame on reasoning and debate.   please just go away.  you are just about the worst thing that has ever shown up at billikens.com.

I have no idea. I am not the Prosecuting Attorney and neither are you.

So you have no guarantee they won't. Or evidence.

Isnt that what the investigation is about.

You should be ashamed. You aren't worried about justice.

Just winning basketball games.

5 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

not gonna lie.... I am only concerned about winning basketball games. 

9 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Justice goes both ways.  Protecting the victims and protecting those from false/misleading accusations.

11 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

you are an idiot.   no one has said on this board more than me, expel them if they are guilty.  conversely if the players should be cleared so beit.    my beef is soley with the process and the absurb length of time this has taken.   NEVER have i said i just want to win basketball games dam the justice or anything akin to that.   

make a decision.

37 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

not gonna lie.... I am only concerned about winning basketball games. 

I will give you credit for at least being honest.

I think you are on the wrong side, but at least you are honest.

Unlike the majority of the posters on this site.

34 minutes ago, teamarete said:

Justice goes both ways.  Protecting the victims and protecting those from false/misleading accusations.

Agreed. But that is what the investigation is for correct?

If the girls have made false accusations they should be punished.

If the players have committed a wrong, then they should be punished.

When the investigation is over, we will know.

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

Mods, 

Can we PLEASE just ban Tilkwsky? I've tried putting him on mute, the damn posts keep coming up. The guy is here to spew nothing but BS. He bounces from race baiting conservative to ultra liberal sympathizer just to fit whatever trolling mood he is in. 

Ban the IP. Let's kick this troll off the board. 

It's quite easy to read past a post if you don't want to engage.