Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

39 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

OK I'll speak.  Clock, you are misreading my remarks, irresponsibly but not necessarily willfully.  (Not willful, since It's possible you are simply a very poor reader.)  And thanks to guys like 615 and Quality, whose reading skills are superior to yours, for stepping up to my defense.  They and others were more successful in unravellling my very very complex prose.  In a morbid way, I actually admire the creative reading of my comments by Clock, since it so expertly reveals the epistemological confusions that more and more people are recognizing as essential to the Facebook media culture of our current mess.  Bravo Clock for that ingenious reading, coupled with your savvy, Fox News-like pivot away from my actual point!

The passage in question is this:  "Evidently some are clueless to the general tone of these issues in the media and culture right now;  when a guy like Matt Lauer can be summarily fired like he was the other day, I think it's pretty clear that we've reached some sort of unprecedented tipping point on issues of sexual abuse/assault, not to mention simply stupid sexual nonsense like has been alleged in this case."

I was making a fairly obvious observation about the "general tone" of sexual misconduct in our culture right now, and my sense that we've reached some kind of "tipping point," meaning we've become ultra-sensitive about these things.  One recent illustration of this is Lauer but I could name a couple dozen more, all of which have contributed to this context. As for the timeline of this emergin tipping point, , I suspect a lot  of it went on steroids when out great leader's idiotic comments to Billy Bush broke in October 2016, showing the world that he was a serial predator.  So Lauer is simply the latest in a long series of idiot sexual conduct being exposed (no pun intended).  I even showed how Lauer and the basketball situation are different, by distinguishing Lauer from "simply stupid sexual nonsense."  Actually, now that I think of it -- the sentences are not really all that complicated, after all...

I am a cultural historian by trade so perhaps I take for granted some of the underlying premises of my remarks.  But you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows....

Tl;dr lots of hot air, self congratulating, and people are hyper sensitive about sexual assault right now. Oh and a dash of political trolling in there. All the points of a terrible post. 

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may add my bit of obvious evidence to this discussion. As far as I know there are 7 people involved in this mess, 4 males and 3 females, there is a sex act or multiple sex acts that took place, and there  was a questionably pre-disclosed and questionably pre-accepted by all parties video of the proceeds which found the way into some degree of distribution, at least in the campus. There is the need to provide ALL of the participants in this fiasco with full due process and a way to voice their points of view and what they did or did not agree upon. This is not a simple task, and it is complicated by apparently present racial issues. 

If everybody is to get due process and be fully allowed to voice their points of views and objections, this process is not likely to be a short process by any means. Just remember this.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If I may add my bit of obvious evidence to this discussion. As far as I know there are 7 people involved in this mess, 4 males and 3 females, there is a sex act or multiple sex acts that took place, and there  was a questionably pre-disclosed and questionably pre-accepted by all parties video of the proceeds which found the way into some degree of distribution, at least in the campus. There is the need to provide ALL of the participants in this fiasco with full due process and a way to voice their points of view and what they did or did not agree upon. This is not a simple task, and it is complicated by apparently present racial issues. 

If everybody is to get due process and be fully allowed to voice their points of views and objections, this process is not likely to be a short process by any means. Just remember this.

There is absolutely no scenario where  this case should even take 60 days let alone longer.

Make a decision

29 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Sometimes the adults in charge just need to tell young people when they're being stupid and to stop wasting their time.  Especially when there's video evidence of the seven people's stupidity.

28 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Do you refer to the thing in this photo as a hill?everest-759.jpg

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

There is absolutely no scenario where  this case should even take 60 days let alone longer.

Make a decision

Why does a decision have to be made soon?

So the players can play?

From the descriptions of this event it seems that this is a serious event.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Typical arrogant liberal elitism.  DictorB now off my need to read list.   

I'm sure Trump is the 1st President to make rude sexual remarks. I highly doubt Bill Clinton or JFK would have spoken like that. 

55 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Consensual sex on campus doesn't seem to be a serious event.

Agreed. However my  understanding is some of the participants are now saying it wasn't consensual.

Some posters have said that event allegedly was recorded and  distributed electronically around campus. 

Those two if true are serious events.

Would you not agree?

Just now, Tilkowsky said:

Agreed. However my limited understanding is some of the participants are now saying it wasn't consensual.

Some posters have said that event allegedly was recorded and  distributed electronically around campus. 

Those two if true are serious events.

Would you not agree?

You really aren't tied in to the overwhelming one sided accounts are you?   But head in the sand in pretty typical for Notre Dame fans.

5 hours ago, DoctorB said:

OK I'll speak.  Clock, you are misreading my remarks, irresponsibly but not necessarily willfully.  (Not willful, since It's possible you are simply a very poor reader.)  And thanks to guys like 615 and Quality, whose reading skills are superior to yours, for stepping up to my defense.  They and others were more successful in unravellling my very very complex prose.  In a morbid way, I actually admire the creative reading of my comments by Clock, since it so expertly reveals the epistemological confusions that more and more people are recognizing as essential to the Facebook media culture of our current mess.  Bravo Clock for that ingenious reading, coupled with your savvy, Fox News-like pivot away from my actual point!

The passage in question is this:  "Evidently some are clueless to the general tone of these issues in the media and culture right now;  when a guy like Matt Lauer can be summarily fired like he was the other day, I think it's pretty clear that we've reached some sort of unprecedented tipping point on issues of sexual abuse/assault, not to mention simply stupid sexual nonsense like has been alleged in this case."

I was making a fairly obvious observation about the "general tone" of sexual misconduct in our culture right now, and my sense that we've reached some kind of "tipping point," meaning we've become ultra-sensitive about these things.  One recent illustration of this is Lauer but I could name a couple dozen more, all of which have contributed to this context. As for the timeline of this emergin tipping point, , I suspect a lot  of it went on steroids when out great leader's idiotic comments to Billy Bush broke in October 2016, showing the world that he was a serial predator.  So Lauer is simply the latest in a long series of idiot sexual conduct being exposed (no pun intended).  I even showed how Lauer and the basketball situation are different, by distinguishing Lauer from "simply stupid sexual nonsense."  Actually, now that I think of it -- the sentences are not really all that complicated, after all...

I am a cultural historian by trade so perhaps I take for granted some of the underlying premises of my remarks.  But you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows....

Wow.

This might be the douchiest response I've ever seen.

Congrats.

7 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Cultural historian?  Good stuff!! Sound more  like a windbag. The worst part, though, is you actually believe the bs you write. 

And BTW President Trump is not only a great President but also he is your President too.  😂 Enjoy!!

On 12/1/2017 at 5:26 PM, TFord and TRavs said:

Fire pestello 

Based on S2?  I'm just guessing here, but he probably has zero control.  The lawyers representing SLU and Pestello's bosses are calling all of the shots as they progress through what probably is a bureaucratic nightmare.  They most likely are focused on minimizing future lawsuits against SLU and PR, not whether SLU wins the next few basketball games.  But, what do I know?   

My guess, and its only a guess, is that Rosenblum is a blessing and a curse.  On one hand, the players are in good hands.  On the other, SLU is going to go slower as not to make any mistakes.  

5 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Based on S2?  I'm just guessing here, but he probably has zero control.  The lawyers representing SLU and the top administration are calling all of the shots as they progress through what probably is a bureaucratic nightmare.  They most likely are focused on minimizing future lawsuits against SLU and PR, not whether SLU wins the next few basketball games.  But, what do I know?   

I would say SLU is amazingly losing the PR battle even though they were the only participant in that battle until Friday.  You think the response of SLU has looked sloppy so far, just wait until their actions are actively challenged in public for a few days. 

Pestello is the President of the university. The lawyers and top administrators all answer to him. He a has ultimate complete control over everything.