Chris May

Cheddar Bear

4 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

That is totally untrue.  If you want to blame someone you can blame Fr. Biondi for not backing the players during the last incident.  Why would Chris May hang the arguably two best players out to dry and cost us a possible NCAA bid, and of course, the money that goes with it.  Nice first post.  It's obvious that there is one or maybe a few more people that have just signed up to this site for the sole purpose of bad mouthing Chris May. 
FYI, I go back as far as Larry Albus being our athletic director (when I was a baseball player on the team that finished 3rd in the College World Series).  I have lived through Ron Ekker as AD, as well as Larry Preo, who was a good guy but couldn't handle the administration (Charles Schroeder), Jim Bakken, Joe Yates (now there was a real scandal), Debbie Yow who had a vendetta to fire Rich Grawer whom she said couldn't recruit (please look at the leading scorers in the history of Billiken basketball) Doug Woolard, Cheryl Levick, and now Chris May.  Chris has raised more money for the department and been responsible for doing more to help the individual teams and their coaches succeed than any one of the former AD's.

I think it is time for the moderators to step in and do something about these trolls and their slanderous comments.

Please post more. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

Chris has raised more money for the department and been responsible for doing more to help the individual teams and their coaches succeed than any one of the former AD's.

I am certainly on your side for the most part (largely indifferent when it comes to May though), but are you giving May credit for the Chaifetz pledge? If not, examples of $ he has raised? 

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I am certainly on your side for the most part, but are you giving May get credit for the Chaifetz pledge? If not, examples of $ he has raised? 

Of course not.  He wasn't even hired at that time.  Most of that money was raised by Fr. Biondi and the development office.  I know this first hand because I stepped up at that time and became a major donor, just as I have now for the locker rooms.  I dealt with FR. Biondi, not Cheryl Levic for the Arena.  Kshoe and Willie can verify my involvement.  Willie has known me and been a friend since our college days.

3 minutes ago, Billiken Bob said:

Of course not.  He wasn't even hired at that time.  Most of that money was raised by Fr. Biondi and the development office.  I know this first hand because I stepped up at that time and became a major donor, just as I have now for the locker rooms.  I dealt with FR. Biondi, not Cheryl Levic for the Arena.  Kshoe and Willie can verify my involvement.  Willie has known me and been a friend since our college days.

Not challenging you, just curious of examples of money that has been raised by May. Doesn't seem like much has been done to demonstrate considerable money has been raised since he took over. As someone who will likely never give money to SLU, thanks for your commitment.

9 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am certainly on your side for the most part (largely indifferent when it comes to May though), but are you giving May credit for the Chaifetz pledge? If not, examples of $ he has raised? 

Examples that I have been solicited by Chris May and contributed to:

1.  CHarter flights on a yearly basis for the basketball team since Majerus took over (yes, he raises the money for that, not the University)

2.  The Baseball team Outdoor, enclosed batting cage

3.  The artificial turf for the baseball field's infield

4.  The new locker rooms that were requested by the two current basketball coaches and will be opened to the donors next Tuesday.

I am quite sure that there are numerous examples, and I by no means am the only person aware of these projects and how the money was raised.

Tonka and slufanskip like this

1 minute ago, Billiken Bob said:

Examples that I have been solicited by Chris May and contributed to:

1.  CHarter flights on a yearly basis for the basketball team since Majerus took over (yes, he raises the money for that, not the University)

2.  The Baseball team Outdoor, enclosed batting cage

3.  The artificial turf for the baseball field's infield

4.  The new locker rooms that were requested by the two current basketball coaches and will be opened to the donors next Tuesday.

I am quite sure that there are numerous examples, and I by no means am the only person aware of these projects and how the money was raised.

So they were able to put in NECESSARY upgrades to facilities? AMAZING!

19 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Please post more. 

If your statement means post more often, the reason that I don't is because of some of the idiotic statements that are are made here.  I quit posting a few years ago after I  was ridiculed for my information because I had only posted a limited number of times and therefore, I could not be believed. 

If you look back on my posts you will find them to be quite accurate, including my post about Rhoden coming this weekend.  I  hope he is still coming now after this latest news.  I have not checked yet because there are more important things for them to take care of at this time than to be answering my questions.

Just now, Billiken Bob said:

If your statement means post more often, the reason that I don't is because of some of the idiotic statements that are are made here.  I quit posting a few years ago after I  was ridiculed for my information because I had only posted a limited number of times and therefore, I could not be believed. 

If you look back on my posts you will find them to be quite accurate, including my post about Rhoden coming this weekend.  I  hope he is still coming now after this latest news.  I have not checked yet because there are more important things for them to take care of at this time than to be answering my questions.

To be clear - I was being sincere. Please post more often. 

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

@Billiken Bob I will let it go since I don't want to offend someone who does give considerably to the University which I certainly appreciate, but those seem like rather minor projects over nearly 10 years.

Minor projects??

You must have a lot of money.  Charter flights cost between 25 and 35K each way.  Do the math for each season over several years  The locker rooms cost 1.3 Million.  The baseball turf cost over 1Million.  You start adding those up and pretty soon you are talking real money.  As I said, these are the only projects I was involved in.

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

3 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Thank  you.

1 minute ago, Billiken Bob said:

Yes, upgrades that none of his predecessors have bothered to do over how many years.?

Cheryl Levick helped build an on campus arena. Just because the people that came before didn't do their jobs correctly in your opinion doesn't mean that the bar should be lowered for the current administration.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Billiken Bob is the real deal.  Not many people have done more over a longer period of time than him.

Thank you very much Brian.  It is nice to be appreciated. 

I am a former Billiken with two degrees from SLU and quite proud of it.  I went through undergrad school on a partial baseball scholarship.  There was only 1 full scholarship per year and therefore money was divided up among several players. We were very good (College World Series years), and we had a great time.  Some of the most fun years of my life. I look at the time that I spent helping the Billiken Booster CLub  in later years (Tip Off Club and then the Billiken Club) in the past and the money I have donated over the years merely as me giving back to the school that was partially responsible for my later success.  I do have to include SLUH as well as The Mayo Clinic to that list and I treat them the same way.  I am proud to still be part of " THE BILLIKEN TEAM". 

So, instead of name calling why don't we all ask what we can do to either give back to our university or what we can do to help the teams that we follow.

RUBillsFan likes this

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Cheryl Levick helped build an on campus arena. Just because the people that came before didn't do their jobs correctly in your opinion doesn't mean that the bar should be lowered for the current administration.

Cheryl seemed like a very nice person, but she was not the major force responsible for raising the money for the Arena.  That was Fr, Biondi and the Development office.  If she was responsible for the arena fundraising then why was she fired.  Do you know that the University still has not raised the money to completely pay off the arena.  I know the reason she was fired but it was told to me in confidentiality by Fr. Biondi therefore I cannot repeat it here.  I am not trying to play Mr. Big shot, but just trying to get the facts out there.

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Maybe I am not up with current trends in athletics construction, but how did locker rooms for mens and womens basketball cost 1.3 million? That just seems like a lot of money for an existing area to be renovated? 

That is the amount of money that was raised.  They redid the entire locker room area for both teams.  I don't know if you were in the original locker rooms, but Rick wanted a major portion of it (square footage wise) to be a classroom setting with actual classroom desks for the players.  Travis and CHeryl wanted something more in keeping with what other competitors of ours have and that is a lounge area where the players will come and hang out after practices, on off days, and during the off season. (sounds like a good idea in light of the current news, eh!)  They also totally gutted all lockers and redid the entire locker room area.  Cheryl did her's a little differently but it has the same concept.  There will be several TV's in each one for the players to spend their free time rather than in their apartments.  I haven't seen the invoices, but I know what was needed to complete the projects.

Thanks BRIAN for the verification on what you CAN spend on a locker room.  Since I posted earlier I have been told by another donor that we are going to end up spending over the 1.3 Million. So any of you that want to get involved just call CHRIS May at his office. The number is 977-3167.

8 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I like Chris May.  He has been attentive and has passed things on to me that I am committed to NOT sharing on here.

Billiken Bob is beyond reproach.  

Thanks for the compliment and I don't know anyone in Baltimore.  Do we know each other from earlier years?

7 hours ago, TheBand said:

Remeber, Majeus suggested Stone-   (which I see that someone mentioned above and I overlooked)

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/college-women-s-basketball-lisa-stone-building-up-saint-louis/article_46ec4a45-913f-5085-be9c-208e9c3aad45.html

"...

Saint Louis contacted her, thanks in part to a recommendation from SLU men’s coach, the late Rick Majerus, whom she’d known since his days at Marquette.

“If you’re in this profession and he liked you, I guess that was pretty good endorsement,” she said.  "

Yea. We know. Is there a reason you responded to my post with this info.