Chris May

Cheddar Bear

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I see everyone saying people should put their money where there mouth is and I get it. But what is a donors money going to? There’s nothing tangible to look at and say ok there’s a plan to upgrade this or that facility. If I had the money which I don’t I would want to see the plans. Is it not the job of the athletic department to inspire donations? To sell boosters on the idea of donating large money to facility upgrade projects? Maybe I don’t see it because again I’m not the target tax bracket. 

Ex: The soccer stadium is in desperate need of upgrade. If I’m the athletic department my target for donations is twofold: season ticket holders and team alumni. The Billiken Soccer Club, led by Jay Zaber(who do an amazing job putting on alumni events throughout the year including their golf tournament) and the athletic department put on alumni reception tent. They had 40 alumni out to the game max and only about 10 from the last 30 years. It’s obvious that the department is not engaging with young successful soccer alums(I can tell you this with certainty). That’s your target audience for donations.

I agree with the above. You have local high schools with better facilities. What I find amazing is you have an awesome arena and it's surrounded by crap. Everything is connected. I just do not understand how somebody, anybody at slu can't drive east or west to other local universities that aren't even close to high of profile as slu and think this isn't a problem! Anyone that says facilities do not matter, you are mistaken. Tell that to the kid who goes to Rockwood Summit and looks at Creighton soccer stadium, I said stadium, and SLU soccer field with no fencing and they charge $10 to get in! But it doesn't matter. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no, SLU's budget is not well funded and they have had to lay off employees and terminate programs. The departure of Biondi left behind a divided group of donors some of which appear to have withdrawn support. Given the financial issues faced by the school, a difficult set of choices have apparently been made favoring the academic side of the school. Their aim appears to be the improvement of the academic side of the university. I have to assume the current athletic programs are doing fine as is without extensive new facilities. You may not like this choice, and the kid that goes to interview at Creighton will probably stay there, and that will just have to be too bad. 

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Yes and no, SLU's budget is not well funded and they have had to lay off employees and terminate programs. The departure of Biondi left behind a divided group of donors some of which appear to have withdrawn support. Given the financial issues faced by the school, a difficult set of choices have apparently been made favoring the academic side of the school. Their aim appears to be the improvement of the academic side of the university. I have to assume the current athletic programs are doing fine as is without extensive new facilities. You may not like this choice, and the kid that goes to interview at Creighton will probably stay there, and that will just have to be too bad. 

I agree that academics should always be priority. However, the university still throws millions a year away on athletics and the attitude of oh well let the kid go to Creighton only keeps things the same. Why can't slu do both academics and athletics first class? Why can't the band be scholarshiped? It's that kind of mentality and lack of vision that has led to the current state of things. This isn't a knock at you personally, because you do make good points old guy. Just wish there was more optimism and ambition around program. If there was we would have better things to discuss! This thread is an example! Can't we have leaders that can do multiple things at once? This is a fair question.

Spoon-Balls likes this

Chris May is doing a good job and he is well liked and respected at SLU.  I hope hammering him, or anyone else, on here, makes some of you feel just a tiny bit better about your own jejune existence, because it's really making me (and possibly a lot of other MBM's) want to vomit all over your sting ray convertible...  please let me know if there is a message board out there where I can come on it and in my initial post tell the world what a hopeless ignoramus you are, in your job...

In case you've been hibernating, or waiting for the appearance of Nibiru:  Times are so tough at SLU that the provost spent 20 minutes at her recent state of the university message to the COAS explaining how she saved money by getting rid of certain forms, and saved a bunch of trees.  I personally had several long-term friends laid off in the spring and the result being, the rest of us left behind just need to figure out how to handle all the work they were handling -- in addition to everything we are already doing.  And honestly, SLU is in pretty good shape, moneywise, compared to about 75% or more of higher education.  If you want a new soccer or baseball stadium, write a check -- but make it big, OK??  Maybe they will name a building after you...

By the way:  It takes no guts to come on a public discussion board like this and trash someone for the job they are doing, especially when you know not of what you speak.  i.e. you are gutless. 

What I am sure about is that Billi Ken does not have a valid conceptual idea about overall school finances and limitations to financing some areas instead of others. The fact that private donations are financing improved locker rooms for the basketball team and infield, locker rooms and batting cages for baseball are indications that at least some donors are responding directly to SLU's athletic department appeals. This is good. The fact that the University is favoring academics overall is something Athletics has to live with. Yes, a lot of money is apparently being spent on the medical area, but they also hope to markedly increase the number of research grants the medical area receives. Honestly I do not want to put you down for talking about optimism and ambition surrounding an athletic program, but I must point out that a good amount optimism and ambition does exist in SLU about the basketball program and other athletic programs as well. It is also true that the development financing the school provides is still being directed elsewhere. Again, it is good that the Athletic program is able to approach donors and get funding of their own for specific purposes. 

The real answer to your question  about the leaders at SLU is that they have already decided how and to what extent they will finance the various areas of the University for the next cycle. In short they have taken a path of austerity with specific areas being basically maintained at specific levels (which may be a very low level judging by Doctor B's post above), other areas being heavlily cut down or eliminated altogether, and just a few areas receiving additional development funds. Obtaining participation of outside funding sources for specific projects probably has a lot to do with how the funds are being apportioned. Athletics is not one of the areas receiving additional development funds but apparently they are allowed to hustle for funds on their own, at least for specific projects. 

I really cannot comment upon the specific details that Doctor B is referring to in his post above, except to mention that the pain is evident in at least some of the areas and programs of the University.

To Dr. B specifically: it appears that you and the surrounding staff are being asked to do the work of several people for the same or a lower salary. This is tough and believe me I have lived through situations like the one you describe. All I can say is that keeping your feelings and anger bottled inside while you explore alternative paths may be the way to go. Just saying. All the best of luck as you decide what to do.

I am no longer wondering.  I know.  Chris May should be fired!  This latest news is totally on him.  This is the second time this has happened and he didn't do his homework on Ford and the type of players he brings.  Smart punched a fan!  Marcus Smart such a great character.  And now this.  Chris May and his underlings need to be FIRED!  Some say he's the best AD SLU ever had, he now needs to be the best former AD SLU ever had!  What's it going to take people?  At this moment with SLU under this kind of investigation I can't think of anyone who would want to jump on our bandwagon and become a Billiken.  This is so totally embarrassing.  May is embarrassing.  HE NEEDS TO GO TODAY!!!!!!

And for those posters who want to scream "troll"  that's your M-O.  You don't like what someone says on here and you scream "Troll"!  How about writing something that would convince us otherwise?   Well that would be virtually impossible today. 

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

I am no longer wondering.  I know.  Chris May should be fired!  This latest news is totally on him.  This is the second time this has happened and he didn't do his homework on Ford and the type of players he brings.  Smart punched a fan!  Marcus Smart such a great character.  And now this.  Chris May and his underlings need to be FIRED!  Some say he's the best AD SLU ever had, he now needs to be the best former AD SLU ever had!  What's it going to take people?  At this moment with SLU under this kind of investigation I can't think of anyone who would want to jump on our bandwagon and become a Billiken.  This is so totally embarrassing.  May is embarrassing.  HE NEEDS TO GO TODAY!!!!!!

And for those posters who want to scream "troll"  that's your M-O.  You don't like what someone says on here and you scream "Troll"!  How about writing something that would convince us otherwise?   Well that would be virtually impossible today. 

So if these are false accusations, May should still be fired because of them?

1 minute ago, Cheddar Bear said:

I agree that this is a ding on May, and combined with the lack of success the athletic department has had this should inch him closer to being fired. But I disagree with what you are saying regarding "Ford and the type of players he brings". 

7 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

Well actually Biondi hired Majerus, maybe he should have done his homework on the type of person he was and the players he brought in. Wasn't Smart being racially abused by that fan? Travis Ford has NEVER been under investigation by the NCAA. I think most SLU fans agree that Levick was the best AD SLU has ever had. Look at what she's done at Georgia State.

I would love to be on your side but you come onto this board raging hot and scream and holler and it just comes across childish. Screaming your wrong and insulting people here or anywhere doesn't work.

Zink likes this

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

I think if you wade through your diatribe and May-hate, you might actually have a point. May should be in some hot water IF any of these accusations are true. That is also a big IF at this point. 

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Well actually Biondi hired Majerus. Wasn't Smart being racially abused by that fan? Travis Ford has NEVER been under investigation by the NCAA. I think most SLU fans agree that Levick was the best AD SLU has ever had. Look at what she's done at Georgia State.

I would love to be on your side but you come onto this board raging hot and scream and holler and it just comes across childish. Screaming your wrong and insulting people here or anywhere doesn't work.

Huh? You sure you don't mean Debbie Yow?

I think at this point we just need to let all the facts come out. My biggest concern isn't anything but for the victims "potentially" on both sides of this case. None of their lives will be the same. And any momentum slu athletics had going is dead in the water, so I feel for the student athletes and coaches as well. Chris May included. It's a mess. 

19 minutes ago, Cheddar Bear said:

troll

I think there is a valid argument that a breath of fresh air in the athletic department management could be good for the school.  I'm not sure where fault lies within facilities upgrades, but I do think May has done a great job of hiring coaches over his career.  Mens/womens basketball, baseball, volleyball hires over his tenure have all been great.  I can't speak too much to the other sports

13 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Does anyone know if Gordon was around campus on the 24th? Didn't he take his official visit last weekend? Any information would be welcomed. Thanks

Yes he was on campus at some point last weekend.

5 minutes ago, RickThePick said:

I think there is a valid argument that a breath of fresh air in the athletic department management could be good for the school.  I'm not sure where fault lies within facilities upgrades, but I do think May has done a great job of hiring coaches over his career.  Mens/womens basketball, baseball, volleyball hires over his tenure have all been great.  I can't speak too much to the other sports

Let the record show that May has hired Jim Crews and Travis Ford. And I know you're not talking about Kent Miller, he's been nothing but average. Anne was hired by Levick/Flannagan.

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Let the record show that May has hired Jim Crews and Travis Ford. And I know you're not talking about Kent Miller, he's been nothing but average. Anne was hired by Levick/Flannagan.

He did not hire baseball coach and jury is out on WBB I feel as well. People forget how bad that program was when Lisa Stone was hired. If that team doesn't make NCAA this year, fair to start wondering if she is a bust. Has had plenty of time.

I'm relatively new to the SLU community. I can't speak for the past, and don't know all of May's accomplishments and failures. My raw, uneducated view May's tenure is this:

SLU has been a mediocre athletic program, with two big time scandals. Now we can talk about if it should be on the players, the coach, etc., but in balance that isn't good enough.

Let’s be real. Chris May gets judged on two things. 

1. Is the basketball team winning?

2. Are the athletes/coaches committing crimes?

in the first regard, he’s a mixed bag. The Majerus years were arguably the best since the Easy Ed teams. The actual Crews years were arguably the worst in program history. Ford has yet to have on the court success, but it seems(ed) to be trending that way. 

The rest of the sports combined could go winless for 10 years, but if basketball makes the tournament every year, he’s safe. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Your right billikenfan05 I am ranting and raving but I wouldn't call it childish.  Perhaps I am too passionate a Billiken fan.  Let's just say for all intense purposes I am angry.  Status quo is what makes me angry.  Seeing women possibly sexually assaulted makes me angry, writing thank you cards to teams that defeat you makes me angry, terrible marketing and total incompetence makes me angry, holding onto an AD that has been trying to leave but can't seem to find anyone interested in him...but he remains at SLU makes me angry...May didn't do his homework and once everything comes out I think people will be floored and it will all be on Chris May.  Chris May is a con artist.  He has fooled a lot of unsuspecting fans on this board...who knows how far this really goes...I am confident the truth will come out and eventually Chris May will be exposed for the person he really is.

Now, I am new to this board as a poster, but I am not a new follower.  BillikenRoy  jumps on the "Troll" bandwagon?  I remember a time your posts were very negative about May...what do you do?...go with the flow without a thought process of your own?  Be true to this board and pick a side BillikenRoy ...either you like this guy or not.