2017-2018 Season Prediction thread

Glorydays2013

16 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

It won’t surprise me if this is Welmer’s last year at SLU. 

More likely to transfer or retire?

Welmer's already been more patient than most players ever have to be. He did a year of prep school after graduating HS - in 2014! - then took a medical redshirt in what would've been his freshman season. So age-wise, he could be entering his senior year.

The NCAA gives you six years to complete four years of eligibility. I'm not sure he wants to spend another on a transfer year at this point, given his medical history.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

different school while he goes to graduate school there.  After this season, Welmer will have only used 2 years of eligibility.  However, it is probably not entirely impossible that he would have enough hours to graduate given that he went to prep school and has a taken a red shirt year.  Therefore, he will have really already had 4 years of post high school education.  If Welmer were to be a graduate transfer, presumably he would be eligible immediately, but would he be able to play 1 year or 2 years at the new school?

You can graduate transfer at any point and still use all of your remaining eligibility. I suppose if some overachiever came in and graduated in a year, they could use 3 years of eligibility somewhere else. 

There was someone who graduate transferred schools this past offseason that will have 2 years of eligibility remaining. I want to say he transferred to or from New Mexico, but that could be my memory failing me. 

4 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

You can graduate transfer at any point and still use all of your remaining eligibility. I suppose if some overachiever came in and graduated in a year, they could use 3 years of eligibility somewhere else. 

There was someone who graduate transferred schools this past offseason that will have 2 years of eligibility remaining. I want to say he transferred to or from New Mexico, but that could be my memory failing me. 

Thanks.  I wasn't sure given that it is usually guys with just 1 year left.

20 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Question about NCAA rules.  This involved a lot of what ifs and really doesn't matter much.  I know that if a guy graduates then he can transfer and be eligible right away to play one year at a different school while he goes to graduate school there.  After this season, Welmer will have only used 2 years of eligibility.  However, it is probably not entirely impossible that he would have enough hours to graduate given that he went to prep school and has a taken a red shirt year.  Therefore, he will have really already had 4 years of post high school education.  If Welmer were to be a graduate transfer, presumably he would be eligible immediately, but would he be able to play 1 year or 2 years at the new school?

I believe the rule is you have 5 yrs to play 4.  So Welmer has used up 4 at the end of this year but only played in 3 so if he graduates at May he still would have 1  year to play 1 year someplace else - correct me if I am wrong. So Pistol has already correct me on part of this.

20 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I believe the rule is you have 5 yrs to play 4.  So Welmer has used up 4 at the end of this year but only played in 3 so if he graduates at May he still would have 1  year to play 1 year someplace else - correct me if I am wrong. So Pistol has already correct me on part of this.

No he would have 2 years left. He’s only been at SLU 2 years. 

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe he could go to D2 or D3 or NAIA and play immediately.  

I don't usually talk basketball on here, but you guys are idiots. Welmer put up 8 pts and 5 boards as a freshman for us last year.  Shot 51% from the field and 37% from 3.  He shouldn't be going anywhere, and certainly not down to D2 or even lower.

Jeez.

Spoon-Balls and Littlebill like this

6 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

I don't usually talk basketball on here, but you guys are idiots. Welmer put up 8 pts and 5 boards as a freshman for us last year.  Shot 51% from the field and 37% from 3.  He shouldn't be going anywhere, and certainly not down to D2 or even lower.

Jeez.

Go back to talking about other posters' moms and leave the basketball discussion to us. 

1 hour ago, jimbofive said:

Jeez.

Jimbo i am not advocating Welmer leave only pointing out a player can transfer without having to sit out and lose a year.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Are you sure - did he not play one year for Crews or was that his redshirt year I guess.  If so then you are right.

He is only a sophomore. Redshirted his first year because of his injury. Last year was his first. He has 3 years left.

2 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Jeez.

+1

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

1 red shirt year, 1 playing year plus this year.  That is 2 years of eligibility used.  Prep school obviously does not use any eligibility. 

Now if he is a smart kid, he may of gathered 30 hours of college credit at prep school meaning he could academically be a senior this year.  If so, he could transfer as a grad and have 2 years to play.  Not unrealistic given he may have also completed classes each of the past 3 summers.

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

1 red shirt year, 1 playing year plus this year.  That is 2 years of eligibility used.  Prep school obviously does not use any eligibility. 

Now if he is a smart kid, he may of gathered 30 hours of college credit at prep school meaning he could academically be a senior this year.  If so, he could transfer as a grad and have 2 years to play.  Not unrealistic given he may have also completed classes each of the past 3 summers.

I believe his first year will be a medical waiver. Then he could have 6 to play 4 and only one year eligibility used up. 

7 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I'd be sad to see Elliot go. He showed some potential last year. I specifically remember the game at Richmond where he had either a dunk or a three on about four consecutive possessions. 

With that said, if he doesn't see the playing time opportunities here I wouldn't blame him for going. French, Foreman, Johnson, and then Gordon and Santos are gonna be eating a lot of forward minutes the next two years. 

I think you need to look at the skill sets each player brings and not just his height.  Of the listed group, only Johnson and Welmer can stretch the floor by hitting three's with any regularity.  French, Foreman, Gordon and Santos are more interior bangers, from what I know.  Those four won't be floating out the the arc very often.

16 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Redshirts don't use eligibility, fella 

Image result for think mcfly think gif

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

It mentions that Bishop could easily be the best player on the team if he's fully healthy; it's obvious this writer gets it. 

This would mean we either win every game this year or go winless all year.  no in between

On 10/19/2017 at 8:50 PM, moytoy12 said:

Go back to talking about other posters' moms and leave the basketball discussion to us. 

Uh that's my thing.  As for Welmer this probably set him back from entering the draft this year.  So we probably have him at least another season.