2017-2018 Season Prediction thread

Glorydays2013

10 hours ago, BillIkenFan_Dan said:

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=211672578      

here's a article from the billikens talking about websites predictions 

Probably reading too much into it, but an article like this could be a good sign that everything will be OK...  Not sure they put out an article like this if they were planning on dropping the hammer.

NH likes this

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Probably reading too much into it, but an article like this could be a good sign that everything will be OK...  Not sure they put out an article like this if they were planning on dropping the hammer.

Also, despite Hochman's latest article, there has been an uptick in SLU bball related tweets from SLU affiliated accounts. FWIW

6 hours ago, ACE said:

Ever heard the saying: "the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing."?

6 hours ago, ACE said:

I've also noticed increased activity from the athletic department, including tweets about articles that are hyping certain players. I can't say it's not increasing my optimism some.

https://www.fanragsports.com/5-cbb-teams-rise-entering-2017-18-season/

Saint Louis: Operation “reload” was deemed a massive success when Travis Ford signed two top-100 freshmen — Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French — as well as five high-major transfers in Javon Bess (Michigan State), Adonys Henriquez (UCF), D.J. Foreman (Rutgers), Ty Graves (Boston College) and Rashed Anthony (Seton Hall).

Now it’s time to see if those additions can again make the Billikens’ program one of the best in the Atlantic 10.

The seven players listed above join a 12-win team from a year ago. SLU won six conference tilts in a season when the Atlantic 10 was definitely better than it is expected to be in 2017-18.

Ford also returns four quality pieces from last season to mold with his newcomers: Davell Roby, Jermaine Bishop, Jalen Johnson and Elliott Welmer.

With its conference peers in a state of transition, aside from Rhode Island and St. Bonaventure, Saint Louis is in position to again become the type of program it was in the Atlantic 10 under both Rick Majerus and Jim Crews.

A word to the wise: Keep an eye on both Goodwin and French, who both spurned several high-major programs to play for the Billikens.

MattyMo213 and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

At your service with my comments, walking around campus without a boot places nowhere near the stress level on a foot as playing a competitive basketball game does. Ford is doing the right thing to do.

So maybe we shouldnt be surprised if hes back sooner though? Like maybe early December? 

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So maybe we shouldnt be surprised if hes back sooner though? Like maybe early December? 

I do feel like Ford may be sandbagging a bit with the Whelmer not ready till conference comments. No reason to rush him and also no reason to put added pressure on him to come back by putting out a date that is 50/50 for him to be ready by.

28 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

2+2=15?

Just saying.   walking around campus just fine,  doesn't seem like it equals 2.5 months either.  I think the beginning of conf may just be a safe bet/absolute latest. 

14 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I do feel like Ford may be sandbagging a bit with the Whelmer not ready till conference comments. No reason to rush him and also no reason to put added pressure on him to come back by putting out a date that is 50/50 for him to be ready by.

Thats what im thinking.  As I just posted, I think that they think jan 1st would be the absolute latest. 

Ford has his own plan which he is not sharing with anyone. By saying Welmer is going to be out of play until conference play time, presumably to allow time to heal better, he is also saying that he has no need for Welmer to play during the first half of the season and therefore he is more than willing to allow  the extra time for additional healing and more practice (to  make up for lost time so far). What I just said is my own interpretation, not necessarily a factual interpretation either. If he really needed Welmer playing right away, he probably could be rushed into play with some increased risk of fracture to do so. As far as I see, this is not the case now.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Here is a conspiracy theory -maybe Ford thinks Welmer may have second thoughts about staying and would be interested in transferring - this would allow him to play right away at a D2 school.  Like I said conspiracy theory only.

It won’t surprise me if this is Welmer’s last year at SLU. 

brianstl likes this

I'd be sad to see Elliot go. He showed some potential last year. I specifically remember the game at Richmond where he had either a dunk or a three on about four consecutive possessions. 

With that said, if he doesn't see the playing time opportunities here I wouldn't blame him for going. French, Foreman, Johnson, and then Gordon and Santos are gonna be eating a lot of forward minutes the next two years. 

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

It won’t surprise me if this is Welmer’s last year at SLU. 

Question about NCAA rules.  This involved a lot of what ifs and really doesn't matter much.  I know that if a guy graduates then he can transfer and be eligible right away to play one year at a different school while he goes to graduate school there.  After this season, Welmer will have only used 2 years of eligibility.  However, it is probably not entirely impossible that he would have enough hours to graduate given that he went to prep school and has a taken a red shirt year.  Therefore, he will have really already had 4 years of post high school education.  If Welmer were to be a graduate transfer, presumably he would be eligible immediately, but would he be able to play 1 year or 2 years at the new school?