OT: Protests move to gates of SLU

slu72

Well, SLU got some national attention from Fox News. The current protests have moved to the gates of SLU. Can we get an update from you locals. I did see some protesters out there waving at the SLU kids behind the gates to join them. Is this going to turn really ugly? And why pick on SLU?

Last I read on post dispatch live coverage was that protesters were turning back toward downtown. 

I don't really care if they were on campus if they didn't damage anything. I also don't care if students chose to join the protest or not. I do think its bad optics that there was a protest going on while the private school students looked on from their balcony. Perfect opportunity for media to portray SLU as an oppressive elitist institution. 

47 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I love SLU so far. I think its a great institution. I like that the students are socially minded.

But they are CORNY AS HELL. 

I assume SLU students are the same as most current college students where faux activism is all the rage (although thinking about it, I think that could be said for a lot of generations of college students). These protests get interesting because a lot of the rhetoric from protesters are things nearly everyone agrees with (racism is bad or killing innocent people is bad), but many would disagree with how they view the events being tied to that rhetoric.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Well, SLU got some national attention from Fox News. The current protests have moved to the gates of SLU. Can we get an update from you locals. I did see some protesters out there waving at the SLU kids behind the gates to join them. Is this going to turn really ugly? And why pick on SLU?

Picked on?

34 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Deuce looks like it is going to be a pretty good show.

Every time I hear the title it reminds me of one of the great misheard lyrics of the '70s: Bruce's (and Manfred Mann's) "Blinded by the Light," in which "revved up like a Deuce" was misinterpreted as "wrapped up like a ******." 

Carry on. 

12 hours ago, bonwich said:

Every time I hear the title it reminds me of one of the great misheard lyrics of the '70s: Bruce's (and Manfred Mann's) "Blinded by the Light," in which "revved up like a Deuce" was misinterpreted as "wrapped up like a ******." 

Carry on. 

Wait, what? The censor won't accept the proper spelling of what's pronounced "doosh"? Bloody Puritanical, says I! ;)

20 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Last I read on post dispatch live coverage was that protesters were turning back toward downtown. 

I don't really care if they were on campus if they didn't damage anything. I also don't care if students chose to join the protest or not. I do think its bad optics that there was a protest going on while the private school students looked on from their balcony. Perfect opportunity for media to portray SLU as an oppressive elitist institution. 

I don't know about "oppressive," but I'd be fine with being portrayed as an elitist institution.  Mizzou got portrayed as an institution that tolerated protesting on campus at the expense of the safety of its students and at the expense of concentrating on being an institution of higher learning, and that university is paying the price.  If Fox News showed some shots of kids looking down on the protesters from balconies and refusing to take the bait to come participate, that wouldn't be the worst thing for the image of the university.

58 minutes ago, brianstl said:

When you get Silent Bob's new hardcore version of the Village People to show up for a protest, you got something good going on.

DKW9_5oUMAAXl1p?format=jpg&name=large

Hahaha this is like the 5th time I've seen this photo and I just noticed the resemblance (and the dude with the bow and arrow? Wtf?).