Semi-OT: SLU aims to double research budget

bonwich

The lack of institutional support for research was one of the reasons my faculty advisor left SLU almost five years ago. Glad to see the new administration is being proactive here, as it will only help SLU hang on to excellent faculty and attract new hires. I hope they also figure out a more competitive stipend system for grad students in a range of departments - being able to attract great grad students is a major factor in retaining and attracting high-achieving faculty.

When my son was here about 8 -9 years ago conducting research he found Biondi to be very much an obstacle.  He had University wide rules/policies that were at times very contrary to what the research world need to be successful.  Hopefully the new administration understands that they have to be more flexible.  This strategy can raise the schools profile and bring money in.

Among the many things that can be truthfully said about Biondi, being an obstacle and obstructing all kinds of things are particularly true.

I am very glad the administration wishes to double the research budget, this will allow the University to climb up a number of slots in its academic ranking, something that I think we all support. Good for Pestello and good for SLU, congratulations to the administration.