OT: Finally Some Good STL News

cgeldmacher

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This city is a joke. Even U2, with the social justice warrior Bono, cancelled their concert tonight due to safety concerns. My family and I had tix. The decision to announce the verdict on Friday opposed to Monday has lead to lost revenue for this city. Another reason STL will forever be a second rate city. (Awaiting response from STL fanboys)

-BMB

24 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

This city is a joke. Even U2, with the social justice warrior Bono, cancelled their concert tonight due to safety concerns. My family and I had tix. The decision to announce the verdict on Friday opposed to Monday has lead to lost revenue for this city. Another reason STL will forever be a second rate city. (Awaiting response from STL fanboys)

-BMB

the city is a joke because a concert you had tickets to was cancelled. Ok. 

55 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

-BMB

The problem wasn't when the verdict was released, there will always be some event going on in the city, the problem was the morons destroying things and injuring others in the name of "justice". These "protestors" think justice is convicting someone with no evidence, which is actually the opposite of justice. Rebels without a clue.

17 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Evidence? Like when the judge says the gun that only had the officers DNA on it is the victims bevayse in his experience heroine dealers always have guns? Or saying because it didn't have to have the victims DNA to be his?

Obviously you think the judge was not fair and impartial in this case. 

On 9/14/2017 at 6:13 PM, Band Legend said:

You need to take advantage of seeing one of the great symphonies in the country for free.  Obviously the acoustics are not like Powell, and it is largely a pops concert, but it's always well done, the combination of the setting and the weather was beyond picturesque, and the post concert fireworks were great.  We enjoyed it with about 7000 other St. Louisans.  Many folks make a big production of it with fine food and wine.  I highly recommend going, although you might have a half mile or more hike back to your car afterwards.

The other thing to take advantage of is the Shakespeare Festival in June. This coming year it will be Romeo and Juliet.   

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Among other obvious reasons, yes. This is a second rate city. No talks of rescheduling because even Bono doesn't want to come back to this wretched place.

When I hear people refer to cities as "second rate" and ask for an example of a "first rate" city, the answer is always larger than St. Louis.  Is there a "first rate" metro area that's smaller than 3 million people?

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

When I hear people refer to cities as "second rate" and ask for an example of a "first rate" city, the answer is always one of the top 20 largest metro areas.  Is there a "first rate" metro area that's smaller than 3 million people?

Hmm.  It's probably something like the difference between "power" and "mid-major"!

18 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Really feel like theyd rather pay civil suits instead of prosecuting officers.

The burden of proof in a civil suit is also lower than in a criminal case. I don't know how close the judge's decision was, but to convict in a criminal case, you need "beyond a reasonable doubt", which while not officially quantified, is generally in the upper 90s percent. As an example, if Judge Wilson thought Stockley was 75% likely to be guilty of Murder 1, that's an acquittal in criminal court, but the city/Stockley would be liable in a civil suit.

Therefore, I don't know if it's as much of a choice of paying money over prosecuting, but rather a reality that to incarcerate someone, a higher burden of proof is required.

14 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Evidence? Like when the judge says the gun that only had the officers DNA on it is the victims bevayse in his experience heroine dealers always have guns? Or saying because it didn't have to have the victims DNA to be his?

I thought that the heroin dealers having guns comment was unnecessary by the judge, as prior to that, he had done several paragraphs indicating why the state had failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the gun wasn't Smith's. 

I neither attended the trial, nor did I read the transcripts of it, so I'm not going to act like I know the facts of the case better than someone who did. With that noted, the judge's verdict clearly shows that in his view, the prosecution fell short of proving what it needed to prove. There were several instances where the judge found that prosecution witnesses, on cross-examination, made statements that cast doubt on previously made testimony. One of those was when a forensic professional, testifying for the state, admitted that it was possible for Smith to not have his DNA on the gun even if it was his gun. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

And yet you live here. What are you doing to make it better?

I live here because I go to school here. I volunteer at the HRC student run SLU clinic for people without insurance. I spend my money in this city. What have these "protestors" done? Not at work that's for sure. After I graduate this semester I will not be living in STL.

1 minute ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

I live here because I go to school here. I volunteer at the HRC student run SLU clinic for people without insurance. I spend my money in this city. What have these "protestors" done? Not at work that's for sure. After I graduate this semester I will not be living in STL.

Peace!

The problem is not one that is specific to StL or Missouri for that matter.  There is a state law  we have that is basically the same everywhere else which allows a policeman to take whatever action he/she deems necessary to protect themselves.  They only need to take the position that their life felt threatened even if the person has no weapon.  So, the police have been trained to do whatever they feel necessary to protect themselves regardless if the person who they are threatened by has a weapon or not.  Additionally they have been trained that once they draw their gun and feel the need to shoot then they should empty the clip even if the first shot disables the person.  This is why most of shootings result in a death - not like TV where they shoot once and hit the guy in the shoulder.  The question we as a society have to ultimately answer is are we OK with police basically having a license to kill - I really do not mean this be a statement - but in essence if the police can be the determining factor of whether they are threatened by someone regardless of the situation then these shootings will continue and the police will continue to be found not liable.  I realize that police need to be able to protect themselves but without them having to evaluate the situation they are allowed to take any action they want.  I know that sounds a bit of an overstatement but this is why we have seen videos of the police jumping out their car and going up to the suspect firing away virtually immediately.  Like I said,  we as a society have to decide what we are willing to accept regarding police behavior - if we are OK with the current situation then so be it, if not then we have demand appropriate changes.

1 hour ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

You should stay. Things won't get any better if people leave.

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The problem is not one that is specific to StL or Missouri for that matter.  There is a state law  we have that is basically the same everywhere else which allows a policeman to take whatever action he/she deems necessary to protect themselves.  They only need to take the position that their life felt threatened even if the person has no weapon.  So, the police have been trained to do whatever they feel necessary to protect themselves regardless if the person who they are threatened by has a weapon or not.  Additionally they have been trained that once they draw their gun and feel the need to shoot then they should empty the clip even if the first shot disables the person.  This is why most of shootings result in a death - not like TV where they shoot once and hit the guy in the shoulder.  The question we as a society have to ultimately answer is are we OK with police basically having a license to kill - I really do not mean this be a statement - but in essence if the police can be the determining factor of whether they are threatened by someone regardless of the situation then these shootings will continue and the police will continue to be found not liable.  I realize that police need to be able to protect themselves but without them having to evaluate the situation they are allowed to take any action they want.  I know that sounds a bit of an overstatement but this is why we have seen videos of the police jumping out their car and going up to the suspect firing away virtually immediately.  Like I said,  we as a society have to decide what we are willing to accept regarding police behavior - if we are OK with the current situation then so be it, if not then we have demand appropriate changes.

Good post.