Semi-OT: Mizzou features the Arch in its marketing graphics

JettFlight5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

If mizzou re-does their court and does one of those darker stained outlines in the background, I'm expecting the arch to be on it next time.

p.s. I've long thought we should exactly that with our court.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That might be possible if you used a photo of the St. Louis skyline with the Arch centered in the frame on each baseline, but the radius (or whatever mathematical term should be used) of the Arch and the three-point arc probably don't correspond precisely, so the effect would have to be made very subtle.

ete_img20140829-60953-estl-600x400.jpg

It would probably give the Bills more homecourt advantage, because they could use the shadings of landmarks on the court as "spots" on the floor.

Great idea, great picture for it also

Smart move by MU to include the arch in stuff like this, something our marketing dept would never come up with (pot shot)

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This feud is heating up and I love it

I noticed last year Mizzou football posted some billboards around town that said something like St. Louis' football team (one in south city off of 44, one near SLU, and one near the airport I know). Turns out they have gone a little too far in catering to St. Louis football fans by replicating the terrible play of the Rams. Not too long ago I remember Missouri State posted some continuous billboards near Columbia similar to those continuous M-I-Z billboards. Kind of funny to see. I wonder how much rivalry can be created when most of the programs within the athletic departments do not compete against each other (or is that not accurate)? Regardless, it is clear things are heating up on the basketball side between the two programs. Since I am really bored, I looked up that the women play on December 8th in Columbia, but am similarly too lazy to check the other sports.

Additional boredom research: it looks like both women's programs could be pretty good this year.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I noticed last year Mizzou football posted some billboards around town that said something like St. Louis' football team (one in south city off of 44, one near SLU, and one near the airport I know). Turns out they have gone a little too far in catering to St. Louis football fans by replicating the terrible play of the Rams. Not too long ago I remember Missouri State posted some continuous billboards near Columbia similar to those continuous M-I-Z billboards. Kind of funny to see. I wonder how much rivalry can be created when most of the programs within the athletic departments do not compete against each other (or is that not accurate)? Regardless, it is clear things are heating up on the basketball side between the two programs. Since I am really bored, I looked up that the women play on December 8th in Columbia, but am similarly too lazy to check the other sports.

Additional boredom research: it looks like both women's programs could be pretty good this year.

I truly believe that programs compete against each other even if not on the field of play. That's why I don't believe it's possible to actually be an equal fan of two programs. Especially in the same state. I think this recruiting battle is going to prove to be a flashpoint for a renewed SLU/MU rivalry. Hopefully it will continue with some sort of home and home series 

Mizzou won't play SLU because they know that it would in their minds cede legitimacy to the Billikens in the STL recruiting scene. They want SLU to be seen as second rate in the eyes of casual fans, high school and AAU coaches, etc. 

Can you imagine the Bills playing Mizzou in the 2018-2019 season? Carteare Gordon and Jordan Goodwin running all over Cuonzo's squad would have a lasting impact on SLU's recruiting. Misery doesn't want that to happen, so that is why I still doubt they would ever play us unless the public/media pressure becomes too great (which doesn't seem likely at this rate either)...

1 minute ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Mizzou won't play SLU because they know that it would in their minds cede legitimacy to the Billikens in the STL recruiting scene. They want SLU to be seen as second rate in the eyes of casual fans, high school and AAU coaches, etc. 

Can you imagine the Bills playing Mizzou in the 2018-2019 season? Carteare Gordon and Jordan Goodwin running all over Cuonzo's squad would have a lasting impact on SLU's recruiting. Misery doesn't want that to happen, so that is why I still doubt they would ever play us unless the public/media pressure becomes too great (which doesn't seem likely at this rate either)...

I can see it happening in columbia. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i would hook up to the golden gate bridge with hopes that if it pulls out, it might suck california out into nothingness forever.   nothing could be better than getting rid of that horrible drain on our country.  i am hoping they go through with their succession plans.   

Okay, I can't resist. When California "succeeds," should we build a monument to it in Forest Park?

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i would hook up to the golden gate bridge with hopes that if it pulls out, it might suck california out into nothingness forever.   nothing could be better than getting rid of that horrible drain on our country.  i am hoping they go through with their succession plans.   

Actually, the red states tend to be much bigger drains... but carry on.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I actually am a pretty big fan of Mizzou Football.  It is pretty smart marketing on the football program's part, but it will only go so far when they aren't scheduling a game in St. Louis and are unable to recruit anyone out of the area for the football program.

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That might be possible if you used a photo of the St. Louis skyline with the Arch centered in the frame on each baseline, but the radius (or whatever mathematical term should be used) of the Arch and the three-point arc probably don't correspond precisely, so the effect would have to be made very subtle.

The three-point line is the arc of a perfect circle. The Arch is a weighted inverted catenary curve. 

My father-in-law has always maintained that there should be 3-, 4- and 5-point lines. Overlaying the Arch as the 4-point line for exhibition games would get us international recognition. ;)

15 minutes ago, bonwich said:

The three-point line is the arc of a perfect circle. The Arch is a weighted inverted catenary curve. 

My father-in-law has always maintained that there should be 3-, 4- and 5-point lines. Overlaying the Arch as the 4-point line for exhibition games would get us international recognition. ;)

That doesn't seem quite accurate, as the arc is 20.75 feet from the center of the basket but the goal extends four feet beyond the baseline and the center of the basket is 15 inches beyond that.  For a perfect circle, the arc would have to begin to curve inward 5.25 feet from the baseline, but it flattens out, instead.

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Great idea, great picture for it also

Thanks.  When I get some time, I might try overlaying a diagram of a basketball court on the image and see how it fits.  My concern would be pixelation.  My original is only 10 megapixels.  I do, though, have some more recent shots with 15mp originals, but the concern might still remain.

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Mizzou lost to UMKC in Kim's first game. They lost to North Carolina Central. Everyone has legitimacy. 

3 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

I think the reason they won't play SLU is the reason Gabe Dearmond will say when it's brought up.  They view Mizzou as a team that should win.  They view them as superior so they should always win so if they play SLU and win, it'll be because they are supposed to.  If they lose then it will be a negative.  It's crazy how just a few years ago SLU was a top 10 team in the nation and still Mizzou people have it in their minds that Mizzou is always supposed to beat SLU.  

4 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That doesn't seem quite accurate, as the arc is 20.75 feet from the center of the basket but the goal extends four feet beyond the baseline and the center of the basket is 15 inches beyond that.  For a perfect circle, the arc would have to begin to curve inward 5.25 feet from the baseline, but it flattens out, instead.

NCAA rulebook (this is actually the instructions for the restricted area, but it notes that the configuration is congruent to the 3-point line): "At the diameter points of the semi-circle (the plane parallel to the backboard) the line straightens...."

I'm pretty sure the fact that it's not a perfect circle at the points parallel to and behind the basket is that such a configuration would simply look...weird. Plus an arc is by definition part of a curve, and a line is by definition not a curve, so I think that the arc part of the three-point line is clearly part of a perfect circle. 

Your witness, counselor. 

3 minutes ago, bonwich said:

NCAA rulebook (this is actually the instructions for the restricted area, but it notes that the configuration is congruent to the 3-point line): "At the diameter points of the semi-circle (the plane parallel to the backboard) the line straightens...."

I'm pretty sure the fact that it's not a perfect circle at the points parallel to and behind the basket is that such a configuration would simply look...weird. Plus an arc is by definition part of a curve, and a line is by definition not a curve, so I think that the arc part of the three-point line is clearly part of a perfect circle. 

Your witness, counselor. 

You got me on that one, Mr. Bonwich.  However, I thought we were both making the point that the Gateway Arch and three-point line won't correspond — at least not without severely distorting the appearance of the Arch.