Off topic: Moderation

2 hours ago, ACE said:

That's a great story if it were true, but it was only the hiring of Martin that energized your posting volume on this board. Since Martin was hired, you have made more than 18 pages of posts on this board in less than a year... including some of these great SLU related posts: March 16: Cuonzo has averaged 22 wins in his last 8 seasons  & Porter and Martin meeting in California;  March 15: Don't let your Mizzou hatred turn to Zo hatred. 

Contrast that to the prior year, the time Ford was hired until Martin was hired, you made a grand total of 8 posts. 

In Ford's first year on the job it was not "awful" - in fact a lot of great SLU news you could have been celebrating with the rest of us - several promising transfers coming in, and landing several high profile players from the area (remember, the guys you are supposedly are an advocate for) Goodwin, Gordon and Thatch - YET, not a word from you.  And my favorite, your first post after the Ford hiring... "Hiring a former Mizzou Tiger is definitely the way to go"

So yes, in your own words you "havent proven over the last 12 years to be a Billikens fan" 

You might be conning one of the mods, but you ain't fooling anybody else.

This made me laugh.  Well done sir.

7 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

V-Time.  12 years of not withdrawing your registration on this Board does not make you a Billiken fan.  Have you made some favorable Billiken posts over the past 12 years?  Of course.  But I would suggest that the overwhelming vast majority have been related to the promotion of local players to help get their names out not only to SLU but to any other college whether D1, D2, DIII, NAIA, etc.  There for awhile, you were providing us with a watch list of over 40 local guys - most of whom had skills far below that of SLU.  Recently, you praise for Coach Martin and Mizzou have been relentless - in part because of your love for Martin/Tigers but also b/c 14 additional roster spots at Mizzou are now open to St. Louis kids in addition to the 14 roster spots here at SLU for you to help get their names out.  Do you offer something to this Board?  Yes.  Are you different than a regular troll?  Yes.  Should you be banned?  No.  But don't act like you have been some loyal Billiken fan these past 12 years.  

My favorite Modus Operandi of Vtime is when we are all commenting about a highly regarded recruit where SLU has a chance...we get excited....then if we lose him, Vtime suggests some low level recruits who will end up at some place like Lindenwood.  Very condescending.  Loves to rub salt in the wounds to SLU fans and puffs himself up to be some moral authority of why recruits make their decisions.  It can be like nails on a chalkboard.  It's like a cancer slowly eating away at any hope and joy one has being a SLU fan.  There is no doubt in my mind Vtime was rooting for Gordon not to come to SLU.   

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

This made me laugh.  Well done sir.

My favorite Modus Operandi of Vtime is when we are all commenting about a highly regarded recruit where SLU has a chance...we get excited....then if we lose him, Vtime suggests some low level recruits who will end up at some place like Lindenwood.  Very condescending.  Loves to rub salt in the wounds to SLU fans and puffs himself up to be some moral authority of why recruits make their decisions.  It can be like nails on a chalkboard.  It's like a cancer slowly eating away at any hope and joy one has being a SLU fan.  There is no doubt in my mind Vtime was rooting for Gordon not to come to SLU.   

You hit the nail on the head. Sadly, this is the pervasive attitude in STL high school hoops that Ford has to fight against while recruiting high end local talent. "Coaches" like Hoops Insider act like they appreciate SLU's program and "want to see SLU do well," but they never truly view it through a lens of legitimacy when compared to the big names schools in their minds. They all want these kids to go off to the bright lights of P5 schools, but laugh when a player suggests that he might want to stay home and put SLU on the map. 

How many local high school or AAU coaches likely scoffed at Gordon expressing genuine interest in SLU and then tried to dissuade him from committing? Until these coaches and people in positions of influence for recruits change their attitudes about SLU as a program, the underlying message they're trying to send to the higher end local talent will always be the same. "You can do better than SLU." Hopefully Ford is starting to change all of that for the longterm, having guys like Goodwin and Gordon is setting a new foundation for the SLU program. 

ACE likes this

This has gotten off of the topic — of moderation (an off topic thread being hijacked by basketball talk: imagine that!) — but I want to rebut @Spoon-Balls's post.

The guys you're ragging on are better connected to the culture of basketball recruits and AAU and high-school coaches than you guys will ever be.  I'm not nearly so connected, but I have been around that circle a bit in the past.  By and large, the culture among recruits and their coaches is far, far more neutral than you're making it out to be.  It's the fans who create the stratification, not the coaches.  I'm not saying there's no hierarchy, because there is, but  it's not nearly as pronounced among the coaches.  I remember talking with Corey Tate way back when Dwayne Polk and Tommie Liddell were being recruited to SLU, and even though he was a Mizzou alumnus, he was genuinely happy that Tommie would be going to SLU.  The coaches in the area respect SLU, especially when the Bills are coached by a guy who reaches out them, as Travis Ford has.  So, among the area coaches, it's about the relationships more than about some sort of historical prestige.

Therefore, when people post something like:

How many local high school or AAU coaches likely scoffed at Gordon expressing genuine interest in SLU and then tried to dissuade him from committing? Until these coaches and people in positions of influence for recruits change their attitudes about SLU as a program, the underlying message they're trying to send to the higher end local talent will always be the same. "You can do better than SLU."

...they may be trying to make the news themselves.  It's supposition, not necessarily fact.

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

This has gotten off of the topic — of moderation (an off topic thread being hijacked by basketball talk: imagine that!) — but I want to rebut @Spoon-Balls's post.

The guys you're ragging on are better connected to the culture of basketball recruits and AAU and high-school coaches than you guys will ever be.  I'm not nearly so connected, but I have been around that circle a bit in the past.  By and large, the culture among recruits and their coaches is far, far more neutral than you're making it out to be.  It's the fans who create the stratification, not the coaches.  I'm not saying there's no hierarchy, because there is, but  it's not nearly as pronounced among the coaches.  I remember talking with Corey Tate way back when Dwayne Polk and Tommie Liddell were being recruited to SLU, and even though he was a Mizzou alumnus, he was genuinely happy that Tommie would be going to SLU.  The coaches in the area respect SLU, especially when the Bills are coached by a guy who reaches out them, as Travis Ford has.  So, among the area coaches, it's about the relationships more than about some sort of historical prestige.

Therefore, when people post something like:

...they may be trying to make the news themselves.  It's supposition, not necessarily fact.

You are correct.  But, what does that matter?  If he is being condescending and a SLU non-fan, then have integrity and call him out on it.  Do you honestly think that placating Vtime is going to gain us one recruit ever?  There is no reason to be afraid of Vtime.   

Ran a scouting service for years, no respect and people wanted me gone. Did articles on current and bl future SLU players, got no respect and people wanted me gone.  Coached college basketball for years, no respect and people wanted me gone and questioned by intelligence and basketball IQ. I wonder why.

9 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Ran a scouting service for years, no respect and people wanted me gone. Did articles on current and bl future SLU players, got no respect and people wanted me gone.  Coached college basketball for years, no respect and people wanted me gone and questioned by intelligence and basketball IQ. I wonder why.

Because you've always been about yourself, about self-promotion.  Quit seeking validation.  Quit riding Mizzou's jock on a SLU message board.  If you're a SLU fan, then stay around for the good and the bad and offer insight on SLU.  You were hardly around for SLU's tourney years.  You weren't around for the bad years that followed.  Yet, you show up immediately after Martin is hired at Mizzou and proceed to sing his/Mizzou's praises.  Yet you wonder why people on this board question you?  Please.  Your act is tired.  

ACE likes this

This is the equivalent of being mobbed on tigerboard. Count me out on anything that makes this place anything more like that.  Oh better watch out....I'd hate to get mobbed.....then again....I might get more work done with only five posts a day..........

Cuonzo for PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't I get some hate going here? I said "Cuonzo for president!"  I mean sure he's a snake who can't stay in one place for too long but I find that refreshing in a chief executive.

Hey those porters and tillmon,  heck of a recruiting class, right.  Sure he had to bend the rules a bit and get jobs for the family to get them but what a class!  Ranked ahead of us....I mean the Bills not us....in the all important top 144.  What a year they're going to have!   

3 hours ago, ACE said:

That's a great story if it were true, but it was only the hiring of Martin that energized your posting volume on this board. Since Martin was hired, you have made more than 18 pages of posts on this board in less than a year... including some of these great SLU related posts: March 16: Cuonzo has averaged 22 wins in his last 8 seasons  & Porter and Martin meeting in California;  March 15: Don't let your Mizzou hatred turn to Zo hatred. 

Contrast that to the prior year, the time Ford was hired until Martin was hired, you made a grand total of 8 posts. 

In Ford's first year on the job it was not "awful" - in fact a lot of great SLU news you could have been celebrating with the rest of us - several promising transfers coming in, and landing several high profile players from the area (remember, the guys you are supposedly are an advocate for) Goodwin, Gordon and Thatch - YET, not a word from you.  And my favorite, your first post after the Ford hiring... "Hiring a former Mizzou Tiger is definitely the way to go"

So yes, in your own words you "havent proven over the last 12 years to be a Billikens fan" 

You might be conning one of the mods, but you ain't fooling anybody else.

WAY too much time on your hands.....

20 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Because you've always been about yourself, about self-promotion.  Quit seeking validation.  Quit riding Mizzou's jock on a SLU message board.  If you're a SLU fan, then stay around for the good and the bad and offer insight on SLU.  You were hardly around for SLU's tourney years.  You weren't around for the bad years that followed.  Yet, you show up immediately after Martin is hired at Mizzou and proceed to sing his/Mizzou's praises.  Yet you wonder why people on this board question you?  Please.  Your act is tired.  

Hardly around for the tourney years? I was one of the biggest advocates for Kwamain's reinstatement when many wanted him gone.

45 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Because people have asked you, repeatedly, to stop talking about Martin and Mizzou affiliated topics. Yet you can't help yourself. Martin is a big boy. This is a website for hardcore  SLU fans. Martin doesn't need you to defend him against us. 

I'd love to have you post about SLU only. You have some stuff to offer. I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to recent social events. But, honestly, your incessant need to self promote and defend all things Mizzou on this board pisses me the F off. 

If you could simply refrain from responding to every Mizzou dig, most would not have a problem with you. The only time Mizzou or Martin should be mentioned on this Board is to make fun of them, or if SLU is going after the same recruits. 

8 minutes ago, Rogers_Test said:

Test by Steve....Like ME!!!

More seriously, like the Rogers_Test post.

I created a "rule" that newly registered members will go into a group called New Members and only be able to post 5 things a day.  They can be promoted out of this group after 10 days or if their posts get 10 likes.  This way people cannot come on and post a lot without waiting it out or receiving some approval from the community.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Really well said. It’s always been “look at all the ways I like SLU” when the ulterior motive was always Something First-SLU second. 

Stlhi said it himself. He was on here touting his boys from STL originally. Then he was trying to build up his St. Louis website. Then it was just general self promotion. (Sad!) 

Youre a St Louis basketball guy and that’s fine. You’re not a SLU fan. I think you’d find the respect you’re apparently desperately looking for if you just admitted that. And dropped the spumac crap. There’s been people on here that have come from an unbiased view talking about recruits without being SLU fans. You could easily do that. Instead you come around at weird times and always have some sort of...motive. And you’re terrible at hiding that motive. 

5 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Prior to his hire in March, why was I hated here?

I can't speak for everyone, but in my opinion, it was because  (1) you often pushed SLU to recruit marginal D1 players; (2) you exhibited constant martyrdom anytime you felt slighted; and (3) your posts indicated you thought many local players were too good for SLU but should go to Mizzou instead. 

To a larger point, I view this board as a place for SLU super fans. I don't need a "safe space" or to be protected by the moderators, but I simply don't want to read posts about non-SLU topics. I shouldn't have to put users on "ignore" or exercise self-restraint when visiting this board. This board has more value to me if non-SLU topics would cease. 

I'm finishing my coffee.

20 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Life has been busy for me the last few weeks...but some replies....

Adding another moderator is under consideration.  Odds are it will happen.  I just have been contemplating.

Multiple insiders have left - but we have also gained new insiders over the years.  There will always be turnover - both in who posts on the board and who is an insider.  I will concede that my more lenient moderation has probably driven off more than attracted...but I think skip nails it on why many posters have left: see below.

Billikens.com use to be a much older crowd.  When Majerus came on board, the iPhone came out a couple of years later.  Online engagement grew dramatically among younger people, and then younger posters - who had a much different approach to posting on the internet - that the likes of Roy, AlumniFan, or Taj created a bit of a clash.  I am not going to ban or limit younger posters largely because they take a different approach.  Instead I recommend Old Guy's advice.

Old Guy additionally is on point with a shortcoming of mine:

I am looking into how to implement an alternative system here that takes users input more.  Let me see what I can figure out.

I wasn't suggesting you moderate it. Just making note that the reason a few older posters left had little or nothing to do with trolls but with the tone that seemed to be taking over the board for a period of time. For example we had one poster who was clearly close to the team and had inside info but was so overly positive SLU he got constantly attacked instead of people just taking his info and being appreciative of it while realizing where he came from. I believe Alumni was more about the tone and attacking nature of some posters than it was trolls and jbizzle much the same. 

We used to have get togethers once in a while and posters got to know one another. I'd suggest another big  Billikens.com bash before or after a game. Once you've met and know someone you're less likely to make things personal. In addition when you know someone you're more likely to be ok with a little sarcastic dig or jab at you from them. Just a thought. 

SluSignGuy and Zink like this

11 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

More seriously, like the Rogers_Test post.

I created a "rule" that newly registered members will go into a group called New Members and only be able to post 5 things a day.  They can be promoted out of this group after 10 days or if their posts get 10 likes.  This way people cannot come on and post a lot without waiting it out or receiving some approval from the community.

Just to be clear, the likes/dislikes are for individual posts, but they aggregate to the "Member's total reputation"? Just making sure I get how it works.

SShoe likes this