Off topic: Moderation

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've been on a ton of basketball message boards and this is the permissive environment for boosters of other schools that I've ever seen.  Butler's message board doesn't allow allow a bunch of Hoosier fanboy posts, Marquette doesn't allow a bunch of Wisconsin fanboy posts, Xavier doesn't allow a bunch of Bearcat fanboy posts,  Rhode Island doesn't allow a bunch of Providence fanboy posts and so forth.  I can understand why this very unconventional approach to moderation would rub some fans the wrong way.

Can you give me an example of a "Bearcat fanboy" post on a Xavier message board?  If I know what you mean, then I would be able to tell you whether or not I would allow a similar "Mizzou fanboy" post to remain on billikens.com.

Don't most "Mizzou fanboy" (presuming I get your drift) posts on billikens.com come when a SLU-fan poster brings Mizzou up?  Other than that, how often do Mizzou fans come here?  (STLHI and Coach314 don't count. They come to talk about area recruiting.)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

It's not the fact that non-SLU fans come onto this Board with differing thoughts and opinions but it's the length of stay and extent of freedom they are given. 

I am reminded of our Chaifetz staff being "fair" and opening up the unused SLU student section to the MO State fans. No one is saying that someone is not allowed to buy a ticket and attend a SLU game or to come onto this Board with a differing thought, opinion or comment but their taking over of this Board and being allowed to out of fairness is not right. Moderate. Don't allow non-SLU fans to take over our Billikens board. 

Examples. I love hearing from A10 before and after our game w them but VCU's take over board and staying for months posting all about their players coaches and recruits under the guise that it is related to SLU got old. Allowing certain individuals who come to this board w agendas from anti-SLU soccer to self promotion of local AAU kids to Mizzou fans gets old. Again, it not their point of view expressed in their first 5  to 20 posts but their relentless agenda in posts 50 to 500 within a short span. Again. Moderate. 

It seems to me that when you say, "Moderate," you actually mean the opposite.  What you're really saying is, "Polarize the forum such that it contains only content we like."

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Can you give me an example of a "Bearcat fanboy" post on a Xavier message board?  If I know what you mean, then I would be able to tell you whether or not I would allow a similar "Mizzou fanboy" post to remain on billikens.com.

Don't most "Mizzou fanboy" (presuming I get your drift) posts on billikens.com come when a SLU-fan poster brings Mizzou up? :rolleyes:

:blink:

Geez, you are getting conned again. There was very little Mizzou talk on here last season when there were rarely SPUMAC fans here. Check the post history of 314 and vtime. They were rarely on here until Martin was hired. The SPUMAC talk has increased because of their presence.

I can't give you an example of a Bearcat fanboy post on a Xavier board. That's kinda the point. They're never allowed to appear in the first place. And "moderate" in the context of sports fan message board has always meant "restricting it to the content we like." It's been that way for as long as sports message boards have been around. If people want to spend every 3rd post defending the coach of another school, there's another board for that.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I can't give you an example of a Bearcat fanboy post on a Xavier board. That's kinda the point. They're never allowed to appear in the first place. And "moderate" in the context of sports fan message board has always meant "restricting it to the content we like." It's been that way for as long as sports message boards have been around. If people want to spend every 3rd post defending the coach of another school, there's another board for that.

I agree with this.

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

:blink:

Geez, you are getting conned again. There was very little Mizzou talk on here last season when there were rarely SPUMAC fans here. Check the post history of 314 and vtime. They were rarely on here until Martin was hired. The SPUMAC talk has increased because of their presence.

Dude, in my opinion you are part of the problem with stuff like this.  They say anything about players both teams are recruiting and you nuke them.  They respond in kind and the threads become unreadable. The cure is worse than the disease.  Enforcing a loyalty oath would make this a very dull place.  

Isn't this mostly a spumac problem? 

The VCU fans at least have the topic of a game that SLU will be playing to discuss. There also seems to be a ratio of about 1:9 of good to bad posters when that happens. But then they fly away, onto their next opponent. Through the years there have been Washington, VCU, Butler, Xavier, Cincinnati, and Marquette fans. There is really no reason a spumac fan should be posting here. They have nothing to provide, period. 

The problem with the other 349 schools fans only seems to arise when they want to come around in non game related things to stir the pot or claim some sort of double allegiance. I seem to recall this being prevalent with Marquette in the CUSA days. But those are few and far between, and you occasionally get a gruehls that is well worth it. 

I'd nuke spumac discussion out of everything unless there is a game scheduled where it makes sense. If not, what can they possibly provide? 

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

Dude, in my opinion you are part of the problem with stuff like this.  They say anything about players both teams are recruiting and you nuke them.  They respond in kind and the thread become unreadable. The cure is worse than the disease.  Enforcing a loyalty oath would make this a very dull place.  

Politics are clouding your judgment again pal. I said nothing about a "loyalty oath" and wasn't advocating banning.  The funny thing is I have a very similar outlook to 3star and Rise, yet you don't take issue with them.  Please quote an example of "nuking" them. The closest I came to "nuking" either of them was 314 suggesting Goodwin might de-commit, even AFTER JG signed his LOI. It was one of the most ridiculous statements on this and I don't apologize for that. 

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Politics are clouding your judgment again pal. I said nothing about a "loyalty oath" and wasn't advocating banning.  The funny thing is I have a very similar outlook to 3star and Rise, yet you don't take issue with them.  Please quote an example of "nuking" them. The closest I came to "nuking" either of them was 314 suggesting Goodwin might de-commit, even AFTER JG signed his LOI. It was one of the most ridiculous statements on this and I don't apologize for that. 

It was also an offhand comment in my view.  Yes it was a jab too.  In any case "nuking" here involves bringing that up every time you mention the poster in question.  You seem to see yourself as the score keeper of who's a legitimate fan and who isn't.  It just gets boring.  3star and others don't go overboard with it, again, in my opinion.

39 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Don't most "Mizzou fanboy" (presuming I get your drift) posts on billikens.com come when a SLU-fan poster brings Mizzou up?  Other than that, how often do Mizzou fans come here?  (STLHI and Coach314 don't count. They come to talk about area recruiting.)

This is, in my opinion, naive.

STLHI and Coach 314 do not come on here to talk area recruiting, at least that is not their primary focus. Their main goal is to put SLU fans in our place. STLHI has basically admitted as much. They use area recruiting as the pretense for their antagonism.

23 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It seems to me that when you say, "Moderate," you actually mean the opposite.  What you're really saying is, "Polarize the forum such that it contains only content we like."

Do you believe that limiting posts or banning posters from an online message board is a freedom of speech issue?

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It was also an offhand comment in my view.  Yes it was a jab too.  In any case "nuking" here involves bringing that up every time you mention the poster in question.  You seem to see yourself as the score keeper of who's a legitimate fan and who isn't.  It just gets boring.  3star and others don't go overboard with it, again, in my opinion.

If you don't like my style fine, but it helped draw attention to this issue. What I was saying was right on the mark. I was one of the first to identify the problem and now you see some excellent posters like FDL, Rise and 3-star also speaking out. When guys like this are upset about it, the board has a problem.

I'm not calling for the duo to be banned, like I was with posty... which proved to be a worthy effort, once Steve agreed and pulled the plug the board became a much better place. I felt compelled to be the "scorekeeper" in that instance, because one of the mods lost control of the situation. Some feel he's losing control again. Still curious why Glory has a post limit, but vtime doesn't.

Life has been busy for me the last few weeks...but some replies....

On 9/12/2017 at 12:10 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It takes a bit of thick skin (no pun intended) and a reasonable amount of impartiality.  There's no pay and there's no love.  If things go smoothly, a moderator gets no credit (save Steve, because he runs the website) -- not that I'm claiming to deserve any, either -- but if anyone feels the content isn't just as he wants, a moderator shoulders all of the blame for it, along with poverty, cancer, and climate change!  Any volunteers?  Steve, Nark, and I would gladly accept help in moderating board content!

Adding another moderator is under consideration.  Odds are it will happen.  I just have been contemplating.

On 9/16/2017 at 12:51 PM, For-DaLove said:

You really don't think anyone has left? Multiple insiders have stopped posting here over the years because of this crap. And you are correct, I have not stopped posting, but I don't post nearly as often as I used to because of it.

Multiple insiders have left - but we have also gained new insiders over the years.  There will always be turnover - both in who posts on the board and who is an insider.  I will concede that my more lenient moderation has probably driven off more than attracted...but I think skip nails it on why many posters have left: see below.

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

When RM became coach and we started having success we got what seemed to be many more younger posters who attacked people with good info and they just kinda got tired of it and left.

Billikens.com use to be a much older crowd.  When Majerus came on board, the iPhone came out a couple of years later.  Online engagement grew dramatically among younger people, and then younger posters - who had a much different approach to posting on the internet - that the likes of Roy, AlumniFan, or Taj created a bit of a clash.  I am not going to ban or limit younger posters largely because they take a different approach.  Instead I recommend Old Guy's advice.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Moderation starts by using the ignore feature. Getting involved in eternal back and forth insults does not help, getting freaked out about whatever the trolls are saying just shows insecurity which is best to avoid by using the ignore feature. 

Old Guy additionally is on point with a shortcoming of mine:

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

That said, new posters who enter this board to cause fear and spread rumors favoring their own schools agenda should at least be limited in the number of posts they are allowed. That is my opinion, there is no point to allowing threads to get choked full of anti SLU stuff. I think we need both types of actions, limitation of the number of posts allowed to disruptive outside posters bent on posting misinformation, and personal use of the ignore feature by members of this board.

I am looking into how to implement an alternative system here that takes users input more.  Let me see what I can figure out.

16 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Billikens.com use to be a much older crowd.  When Majerus came on board, the iPhone came out a couple of years later.  Online engagement grew dramatically among younger people, and then younger posters - who had a much different approach to posting on the internet - that the likes of Roy, AlumniFan, or Taj created a bit of a clash.  I am not going to ban or limit younger posters largely because they take a different approach.  Instead I recommend Old Guy's advice.

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Steve, it seems like there is a lot more post volume over the course of the last, say, 6 years than during the Soderberg era? Is that accurate or just anecdotal?

The other thing that you touched on - the insider part. Unless Chaifetz himself is posting here, those guys churn through the program as well. It is all based on connections so anytime a coach leaves, an AD employee leaves, or whatever the "insiders" are going to change up. Even boosters on the large end of donations will ebb and flow with the info they have access to. That doesn't even touch on students who are friends or acquaintances of players that change every single semester. Life changes sometimes. 

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Why is Ace, Billikenfan05 showing up as Metz club? Also JMM28

Also when are you going to take me off of that. Makes no sense anymore

This is not intentional.  I am playing with some board features...

Edit: Negative signs are important in coding.  My guess is you will be removed from the group upon your next post.

5 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

This is not intentional.  I am playing with some board features...

Edit: Negative signs are important in coding.  My guess is you will be removed from the group upon your next post.

Hrmm..about 30 people were accidentally added to the metz club.  Give me a bit to fix this.

24 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

Hrmm..about 30 people were accidentally added to the metz club.  Give me a bit to fix this.

Okay.  People should now be back in the "Members" group.  If you aren't, let me know.

47 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Steve, it seems like there is a lot more post volume over the course of the last, say, 6 years than during the Soderberg era? Is that accurate or just anecdotal?

Volume has increased since Soderberg (graph starts April 2003; to Jan 1 2017) but declined during Crews.

image.png