Off topic: Moderation

It takes a bit of thick skin (no pun intended) and a reasonable amount of impartiality.  There's no pay and there's no love.  If things go smoothly, a moderator gets no credit (save Steve, because he runs the website) -- not that I'm claiming to deserve any, either -- but if anyone feels the content isn't just as he wants, a moderator shoulders all of the blame for it, along with poverty, cancer, and climate change!  Any volunteers?  Steve, Nark, and I would gladly accept help in moderating board content!

Not to sound whiny, but I was hurt to the core when @For-DaLove claimed I was solely to blame for ruining this board for him.  Just wow!

So, if at least two people would step up to help moderate with fairness, I would happily stop being a moderator: step back and be just a regular poster.  Happily.  I say, "Two people," because I think we're short of help with moderation as it is (not because I think my contributions can be valued as such).  How 'bout it?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-not sure where else to post this, is it just me or is the site running very slowly for others, too?

-I volunteer to moderate if I can remove users that are not SLU fans, as judged by me, or are not Basketball Country or the good poster from St Bonny 

I would imagine the Gordon tweet is the cause of the slowdown.

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-not sure where else to post this, is it just me or is the site running very slowly for others, too?

-I volunteer to moderate if I can remove users that are not SLU fans, as judged by me, or are not Basketball Country or the good poster from St Bonny 

need the majerus robot dog vid

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

I don't really want to get involved in this little feud, but I am curious what you mean when you say "fair" in this context. I think a number of people are getting the idea that you mean pro-SLU and pro-Mizzou sentiments should be treated equivalently here. That seems a little odd, since the name of the message board is not billikensandtigers.com.

Why should SLU fans need to be "fair" to Mizzou fans on a SLU site? As effed up as tigerboard is in many ways, I don't think they use this version of fairness, nor should anyone expect them to.

I never asked to become a moderator.  I think it was about 15 years ago when Steve sent me a message asking me if I would be willing to help out by being a moderator.  I don't recall the conversation, but I think he asked me because he was confident that I would be fair and use good judgment.  I have always done my best to do those things.

I'm trying to find the forum rules today, but I haven't been able to.  However, I don't recall seeing any rule that says posters may only post pro-SLU opinions.  The rules pertain to things like not inciting to violence, not posting personal information, not posting politically-slanted material, not advocating for discrimination, not making threats or personal insults, and similar kinds of things.  You know, the fine print kind of stuff most people skim over and click "I agree" to.

I view the message board as a discussion board.  Within reason, posters are allowed to discuss what they want, barring politics and other hot-button issues not related to sports.  There is an expectation that users will generally stay on topic, but I've noticed that, in many, many cases, one post will have something that someone will want to discuss further, though it results in deviation from the main topic.  I have allowed this, within reason -- though I recognize the right of others to question my judgment -- because that's what posters want to discuss.  In earlier versions of forum software, there was an option to "reply to post in new thread"; if a feature like that could be restored, I think that would go a long way towards helping this online community maintain tidier threads.

Anyway, STL Hoops Insider and Coach314 both signed up for this message board and agreed to follow the rules, so I think they should be allowed to post.  If they have broken the rules, please tell us how.  There is no rule that the content or style or unwritten agenda of any poster align with any poster's preferences.  So, just because you don't like STLHI's or C314's content or team choice(s) or style doesn't mean they've broken the rules.  Posters here are not required to be SLU fans only or SLU fans first, nor are they required to swear to give their undying affection to SLU.  Non-SLU fans are permitted to post here.

So, @hsmith19, when I say that I try to be fair, I mean that I won't censor the opinions of the minority just because the majority dislikes it, as long as that minority opinion isn't in violation of the rules.  It also means that if the majority opinion is expressed in a manner which violates the rules, then I will censor it. It has nothing to do with which team(s) I like.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

boy cant agree more.    for years we have been subjected to the mi$$ouri fan's patronizing belittling ways and i for one say they can get the f out of here.   there is no reason to treat them with any respect since they refuse to treat us with any.    i posted one time on the tigerboard about 20 years ago and was attacked immediately when i did nothing to deserve it on their board.   i have never been back and one has to believe that is what they want.  THEIR board.   we should want the same.   

I agree that some Mizzou fans are annoyingly arrogant, but STLHI and C314 aren't so much Mizzou fans as they are of local players, and I don't think the perceptions most of you have -- even though it may be the majority of you -- about them are completely accurate.  And even if they were truly Mizzou fans and want to subjugate SLU, what rule have they broken such that I should censor them?

You're good at your job and I think often hold back what you really want to say because of your position. And I think it's asinine to say someone who has been a member of the board for 12 years, posted in hundreds of game day threads abd generally been supportive of the program is not a fan or anti-SLU.

46 minutes ago, willie said:

Thicks I appreciate the work you Dave and Steve do.  Keep up the good work. 

+1, I have always complimented all that help out and run this site, this is a great site that I visit quite often.

Not everyone will like what you are doing and that is just people and life.

Please continue to moderate and keep me honest with my word usage.

28 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

You're good at your job and I think often hold back what you really want to say because of your position. And I think it's asinine to say someone who has been a member of the board for 12 years, posted in hundreds of game day threads abd generally been supportive of the program is not a fan or anti-SLU.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, CBFan said:

+1, I have always complimented all that help out and run this site, this is a great site that I visit quite often.

Not everyone will like what you are doing and that is just people and life.

Please continue to moderate and keep me honest with my word usage.

Grammar stuff has nothing to do with moderation.  Blame it on my degree in and love for English.

7 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Thanks.

Grammar stuff has nothing to do with moderation.  Blame it on my degree in and love for English.

I know, always enjoyed your comments in a fun way, made me laugh at myself and your post.

18 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I never asked to become a moderator.  I think it was about 15 years ago when Steve sent me a message asking me if I would be willing to help out by being a moderator.  I don't recall the conversation, but I think he asked me because he was confident that I would be fair and use good judgment.  I have always done my best to do those things.

I'm trying to find the forum rules today, but I haven't been able to.  However, I don't recall seeing any rule that says posters may only post pro-SLU opinions.  The rules pertain to things like not inciting to violence, not posting personal information, not posting politically-slanted material, not advocating for discrimination, not making threats or personal insults, and similar kinds of things.  You know, the fine print kind of stuff most people skim over and click "I agree" to.

I view the message board as a discussion board.  Within reason, posters are allowed to discuss what they want, barring politics and other hot-button issues not related to sports.  There is an expectation that users will generally stay on topic, but I've noticed that, in many, many cases, one post will have something that someone will want to discuss further, though it results in deviation from the main topic.  I have allowed this, within reason -- though I recognize the right of others to question my judgment -- because that's what posters want to discuss.  In earlier versions of forum software, there was an option to "reply to post in new thread"; if a feature like that could be restored, I think that would go a long way towards helping this online community maintain tidier threads.

Anyway, STL Hoops Insider and Coach314 both signed up for this message board and agreed to follow the rules, so I think they should be allowed to post.  If they have broken the rules, please tell us how.  There is no rule that the content or style or unwritten agenda of any poster align with any poster's preferences.  So, just because you don't like STLHI's or C314's content or team choice(s) or style doesn't mean they've broken the rules.  Posters here are not required to be SLU fans only or SLU fans first, nor are they required to swear to give their undying affection to SLU.  Non-SLU fans are permitted to post here.

So, @hsmith19, when I say that I try to be fair, I mean that I won't censor the opinions of the minority just because the majority dislikes it, as long as that minority opinion isn't in violation of the rules.  It also means that if the majority opinion is expressed in a manner which violates the rules, then I will censor it. It has nothing to do with which team(s) I like.

I agree that some Mizzou fans are annoyingly arrogant, but STLHI and C314 aren't so much Mizzou fans as they are of local players, and I don't think the perceptions most of you have -- even though it may be the majority of you -- about them are completely accurate.  And even if they were truly Mizzou fans and want to subjugate SLU, what rule have they broken such that I should censor them?

You act like there is some sort of free speech requirement. We aren't dealing with the constitution, Thicks. The website is literally called Billikens.com. If individuals posting with anti-SLU agendas are allowed to post freely and clog up threads, legitimate SLU fans with good information will stop coming here, myself included.

With that being said, I'm glad this thread allowed you to get the pat on the back you so desperately desired.

12 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

If individuals posting with anti-SLU agendas are allowed to post freely and clog up threads, legitimate SLU fans with good information will stop coming here, myself included.

Good point. Do we want Billikens.com to turn into SLUTalk?

Thicks, I do appreciate your efforts here. It is a thankless job and a lot times I realize your in a no win situation.

You know people, I really dislike this animated vid, it is like an animated mamby pamby version of Rodney Dangerfield pretending to be Rick Majerus. I have absolutely no sympathy for anybody that craves for the approval and the little back pats that others give so freely. Rick Majerus, if the truth is to be said, was a man that stood on his own two feet until he could not do so any longer. He never craved for fake sympathy from anyone, and he probably did not worry about being as obese as he was. I really do  not think he considered himself to be a "fat f--k." 

1 hour ago, For-DaLove said:

You act like there is some sort of free speech requirement. We aren't dealing with the constitution, Thicks. The website is literally called Billikens.com. If individuals posting with anti-SLU agendas are allowed to post freely and clog up threads, legitimate SLU fans with good information will stop coming here, myself included.

With that being said, I'm glad this thread allowed you to get the pat on the back you so desperately desired.

Maybe the best post on this board in the past year

3 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

Some people never cease to amaze me. Apparently you have turned this into some sort of blood feud such that whatever I say is something for you to attack.  Man, whatever it is I've done to offend you, I apologize!

In no way did I start this thread seeking any sort of validation or pats on the back.  I started it to explain my philosophy on moderation and to seek a replacement.  Now, because some people did "pat me on the back," shouldn't I say, "Thank you," out of good manners?  But in no way does that mean it was my purpose for starting the thread.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Some people never cease to amaze me. Apparently you have turned this into some sort of blood feud such that whatever I say is something for you to attack.  Man, whatever it is I've done to offend you, I apologize!

In no way did I start this thread seeking any sort of validation or pats on the back.  I started it to explain my philosophy on moderation and to seek a replacement.  Now, because some people did "pat me on the back," shouldn't I say, "Thank you," out of good manners?  But in no way does that mean it was my purpose for starting the thread.

Your decision to completely avoid addressing the legitimate point I made says it all. 

36 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

Your decision to completely avoid addressing the legitimate point I made says it all. 

Okay, FDL, what posters with inside information have stopped visiting and posting on billikens.com?  Despite your threats to leave, you're still here.  If anyone has quit, have they told you that, specifically, they've lost interest because there's a rampant anti-SLU agenda?  And who are the posters they perceive has an anti-SLU agenda and what is their evidence.  Address that, then I can respond.  Be specific; vagaries won't help.