Torrence Watson

booyaa87

I just hope it's not medical related.  Could a physical reveal some sort of blood clot condition so while the article mentioned Ohio St. and Mizzou, in reality it could be all schools are nervous?  Did Bosh have something like this that kept him out?  

Hope it's nothing serious because as others have said, he seems like a great kid.  

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This seems to fit the pattern of the other instances where Martin was fiddling with players who were committed to other schools.... right after a player de-commits, immediate speculation turns to rumors of the player choosing SPUMAC and that a decision will be made soon. Then after that, it cools off a bit and slows down, player says he is exploring other options, only to ultimately choose SPUMAC. 

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

While I think this is completely made up, it is sort of a fun mental exercise to speculate how on earth SLU would be in a position to accept a 4 star athlete into the school but Ohio St and Mizzou cannot due to "rules".  Here is the best I could come up with:  Torrance Watson is in fact an alien from outer space and public universities are only allowed to accept people from Earth...but SLU has no such rule.  Final Four 2018 baby....Monstars style.

The only situation I could come with had nothing to do with public vs. private.  It had to do with the possibility of some kind of prohibited contact between the school and the recruit or his family.  It could be something as simple (and really as innocent) as a family member going up to staff members from both programs at the same time at an AAU event when no contact is supposed to happen.  They all have a conversation and really think nothing of it.  Someone saw it and reported it.  Both schools having a new head coach decide on their own to impose a self penalty of no longer recruiting the player and hope that action satisfies the NCAA.

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

This seems to fit the pattern of the other instances where Martin was fiddling with players who were committed to other schools.... right after a player de-commits, immediate speculation turns to rumors of the player choosing SPUMAC and that a decision will be made soon. Then after that, it cools off a bit and slows down, player says he is exploring other options, only to ultimately choose SPUMAC. 

The other (less cynical) explanation is that he really wants to remain close to home. We heard it all through his recruiting process that he is super tight with his mom. Maybe 2 hours is even too far for the Watsons

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The only situation I could come with had nothing to do with public vs. private.  It had to do with the possibility of some kind of prohibited contact between the school and the recruit or his family.  It could be something as simple (and really as innocent) as a family member going up to staff members from both programs at the same time at an AAU event when no contact is supposed to happen.  They all have a conversation and really think nothing of it.  Someone saw it and reported it.  Both schools having a new head coach decide on their own to impose a self penalty of no longer recruiting the player and hope that action satisfies the NCAA.

That's a reasonable thought. Not saying it's the truth but there's a least a chance that could be right.

This is probably way to much reading into a post by an MBM who isn't even a Billikens.com MBM.  However, everyone loves a good rumor / riddle.  The way it is framed as "something that prevents OSU and MU from taking him" makes it odd.  A personal reason to say very close to home at SLU (ex Larry Hughes) seems most likely.  If it was a personal matter, than it you'd frame it as though Watson won't leave home for some reason and not that a school can't take him.  "Not academics, not drugs" leaves a whole host of other legal issues he could have, but you'd think SLU be in the same boat as OSU and MU if it were some kind of legal thing.  I guess it could be something like he is on house arrest (for something that presumably wouldn't preclude SLU from accepting him) and can only go so far from home (SLU is in range, but MU is not), but I can't really imagine a situation like that that another school couldn't get around or have the house arrest moved.  Further, the house arrest situation would mean that he couldn't play away games which would be an issue.  The recruiting violation thing that @brianstl speculates on could be the case, but seems kind of far fetched as well.  I dunno...it is probably the Watson is an alien thing.

You guys are so dumb. 

Watson has obviously been confirmed as a werewolf. He can't announce that publicly for obvious reasons. He just happens to have a school in his backyard with a liberal werewolf admission policy. 

43 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is probably way to much reading into a post by an MBM who isn't even a Billikens.com MBM.  However, everyone loves a good rumor / riddle.  The way it is framed as "something that prevents OSU and MU from taking him" makes it odd.  A personal reason to say very close to home at SLU (ex Larry Hughes) seems most likely.  If it was a personal matter, than it you'd frame it as though Watson won't leave home for some reason and not that a school can't take him.  "Not academics, not drugs" leaves a whole host of other legal issues he could have, but you'd think SLU be in the same boat as OSU and MU if it were some kind of legal thing.  I guess it could be something like he is on house arrest (for something that presumably wouldn't preclude SLU from accepting him) and can only go so far from home (SLU is in range, but MU is not), but I can't really imagine a situation like that that another school couldn't get around or have the house arrest moved.  Further, the house arrest situation would mean that he couldn't play away games which would be an issue.  The recruiting violation thing that @brianstl speculates on could be the case, but seems kind of far fetched as well.  I dunno...it is probably the Watson is an alien thing.

I agree my speculation was far fetched.  I was just trying to think of something that could possibly prevent two schools from signing a kid and not another.

56 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I agree my speculation was far fetched.  I was just trying to think of something that could possibly prevent two schools from signing a kid and not another.

This is certainly a bizarre situation. I hope for three  things: 1) the kid and his family are healthy; 2) he becomes a Billiken; 3) he doesn't go to Mizzou

Wait is "The One" brought to you by DJ Kaleed and Justin Bieber even a credible source?  He shows some text that look like a cell pic from a "247 insider" and we accept that?

Occam's razor: definite werewolf

15 hours ago, kshoe said:

Likely complete bs. This is big time D1 ball and you can do just about anything and still find a team. Watson by all accounts is a great kid so I'm not buying it at all.

I think you are right - I bet the answer is that Watson wants a degree that is not PE or Parks and Rec.

This was his Twitter post.  Sadly, this sounds like family medical issue.  If this is true, then for his sake, I hope he goes to SLU so that he's closer to his family.  Obviously, I would also have selfish reasons for wanting him to go to SLU, but would never wish illness on someone's family.  Regardless of where he goes, I wish the best for him and his family.

DILgAwrXYAULPas.jpg:large

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

After re-reading the guy's blog it doesn't appear this has anything to do with public v private school. The fact he mentions Mizzery might also be banned from signing him leads me to think something like the scenario you described is the reason. Remember, Watson had originally verbaled to Butler. Holtman leaves and Watson follows him to OSU shortly thereafter. Also, Mizzery was involved w/ him as well while he was still a verbal commit to Butler. Maybe, Butler thought there was somethin rotten in both Columbus and Columbia and filed a complaint with the NCAA against both schools. Speculation for sure, but it is strange he might not be eligible to play for just OSU or Mizzery.

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

After re-reading the guy's blog it doesn't appear this has anything to do with public v private school. The fact he mentions Mizzery might also be banned from signing him leads me to think something like the scenario you described is the reason. Remember, Watson had originally verbaled to Butler. Holtman leaves and Watson follows him to OSU shortly thereafter. Also, Mizzery was involved w/ him as well while he was still a verbal commit to Butler. Maybe, Butler thought there was somethin rotten in both Columbus and Columbia and filed a complaint with the NCAA against both schools. Speculation for sure, but it is strange he might not be eligible to play for just OSU or Mizzery.

He never gave a verbal commitment to Butler. He had a list of finalists that included Butler and then added OSU to the list once Holtmann offered him as OSU coach. Butler and Mizzou would've been on equal footing - as finalists, with no commitment - when Watson called it for OSU.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He never gave a verbal commitment to Butler. He had a list of finalists that included Butler and then added OSU to the list once Holtmann offered him as OSU coach. Butler and Mizzou would've been on equal footing - as finalists, with no commitment - when Watson called it for OSU.

My bad, I thought he had given Butler his verbal. Still, if Butler felt he was slipping away from them because OSU and Mizzery were playing outside the rules, they, or another school after him, may well have gone to NCAA and complained. I know it's speculation, but it's damned strange that just OSU and Mizzery may be banned from signing Watson for the same reason. That's assuming this blogger knows what he's talking about.  

19 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My bad, I thought he had given Butler his verbal. Still, if Butler felt he was slipping away from them because OSU and Mizzery were playing outside the rules, they, or another school after him, may well have gone to NCAA and complained. I know it's speculation, but it's damned strange that just OSU and Mizzery may be banned from signing Watson for the same reason. That's assuming this blogger knows what he's talking about.  

This is a conspiracy theory I am here for 

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Wait is "The One" brought to you by DJ Kaleed and Justin Bieber even a credible source?  He shows some text that look like a cell pic from a "247 insider" and we accept that?

Occam's razor: definite werewolf

It was a screen grab that I cropped so it'd fit on the forum.  Relax.

From Rivals: 

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday-wake-forest-andrew-nembhard-virginia 

Torrence Watson, Ohio State’s first class of 2018 commitment, reopened his college recruitment over the weekend and backed off of his pledge to the Buckeyes. Where might the Rivals150 wing from St. Louis be leaning?

Before Watson committed to Ohio State, he had narrowed his school list to a group of eight consisting of the Buckeyes, Creighton, Marquette, Michigan, Missouri, Vanderbilt, St. Louis and Kansas State.

Any of these programs could jump back into the mix and a handful of others will do the same. However, look for some of the top area programs to be the spot where he lands.

Many schools, after missing on Watson, invested more time with a few other top priority recruits. Creighton and Marquette have eached picked up a commitment since Watson’s original pledge to the Buckeyes, Vanderbilt has gained solid footing with a few other Rivals150 small forward prospects and Michigan has nailed down dates with a couple of their own top recruits.

That all brings us back to St. Louis, Kansas State and Missouri as the most likely landing spots for Watson. While the former two could make a hard push this fall, Missouri is probably the favorite. Cuonzo Martin has done a great job of becoming heavily involved with the top local prospects and was also vocal in stating that he wanted to create a pipeline between St. Louis and Columbia. Selling the idea of replacing likely one-and-done Michael Porter next year and the chance to become a program builder at Mizzou may be too difficult to decline.