OT: Tatum cashes in

bonwich

On 8/22/2017 at 9:15 PM, JMM28 said:

It’s the basketball equivalent of being in the friend zone! Great success. 

On a Tatum note - his situation just got better long term but probably a little less opportunity for him short term. Kyrie is a wiener but that Boston team looks like the best team in the east at this point. 

More opportunity with Crowder now gone. Kyrie running with Tatum, Brown, Hayward is going to be fun

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nice IMO's commercial running featuring tatum.   wonder what he got paid for that?   Free pizza for life?

As much as it sucks that the young Tatum wasn't a Billiken (in hindsight can any of us blame him for not wanting him to dive into the Jim Crews dumpster fire).  I absolutely love that Imo's commercial / Tatum for doing the commercial.

It does not seem like something he would have been paid much for.  The Imo's commercials have a low budget feel to them and the athletes in them (Freese and now Tatum) always seem kind of awkward / un-coached / like they're doing it in one take.  Seems to me that Tatum said, "I don't care about carefully crafting my brand or getting paid, I love Imo's pizza and just want to do a commercial for them".  I think that is pretty awesome on his part.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

As much as it sucks that the young Tatum wasn't a Billiken (in hindsight can any of us blame him for not wanting him to dive into the Jim Crews dumpster fire).  I absolutely love that Imo's commercial / Tatum for doing the commercial.

It does not seem like something he would have been paid much for.  The Imo's commercials have a low budget feel to them and the athletes in them (Freese and now Tatum) always seem kind of awkward / un-coached / like they're doing it in one take.  Seems to me that Tatum said, "I don't care about carefully crafting my brand or getting paid, I love Imo's pizza and just want to do a commercial for them".  I think that is pretty awesome on his part.

exactly.   everytime i see it it makes me smile.   and honestly he seems so geniune yet.   hopefully he keeps his feet on the ground.  

As a Bills fan who grew up in Boston, I have already 100% sold out on Tatum... He looked smooth last night. A little shell shocked when the game began and LBJ blocked his layup into the third row but grew up quickly. Going to be a great player. Might buy a jersey. 

43 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

exactly.   everytime i see it it makes me smile.   and honestly he seems so geniune yet.   hopefully he keeps his feet on the ground.  

-he didn't go to SLU, your reaction to him is surprising given your 'if they don't go to SLU they are dead to me' mantra

11 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-he didn't go to SLU, your reaction to him is surprising given your 'if they don't go to SLU they are dead to me' mantra

legacy.  dad was a billiken.  gives him a semi pass especially out of college  plus i blame crewsplatt it never happened.   they could f up anything

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

legacy.  dad was a billiken.  gives him a semi pass especially out of college  plus i blame crewsplatt it never happened.   they could f up anything

I'm in the same boat. Definitely don't hate him and have no ill will given how bad we were with Crews recruiting him. Ford would have landed him; I have no doubt.

Tonka likes this

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm in the same boat. Definitely don't hate him and have no ill will given how bad we were with Crews recruiting him. Ford would have landed him; I have no doubt.

Yep.  This is why the timing of Tatum's college year is tragic for Billiken fans.  The kid genuinely seems to love St. Louis and (I believe) wanted to stay home, but couldn't justify playing for such an awful coach on such a bad team.  A couple of years earlier and he's helping SLU's NCAA tournament teams reach historic levels of success or a couple of years later and he's surrounded by Ford recruited talent.  Very "typical Billikens" type of situation.

i also cant blame tatum for not being able to stand up to the coach k full court press when recruited.   think about it, tatum was playing on the usa team that k was coaching and everyday for over a month, k was likely telling him how horrible slu was the great history of duke blah blah blah.   also all tatum's peers on that team were likely telling him the same thing, making fun of crewsplatt, etc.   peer pressure is tough.  and standing up to a legend like coach k is tough.   

now that all said, once he signed with coach k my enthusiasm for tatum went out the window.   i definitely didnt go watch him as much his last year at chaminade i would have, but still as i said in the previous post, he was still a legacy. 

If Ford was the coach 2 years ago, we still were not getting Tatum. We didn't have a talent on the team to make his one year in college in worthwhile. Unlike Michael Porter, he didn't have a top 25 kid brother who could have made us a power in the A10. But let's say we did get him. It would have been like Davidson last year -- gaudy numbers for Peyton Aldridge but the team was only above average. And that's assuming Coach Ford would have been able to bring in a transfer that was as talented as Jack Gibbs. Jayson Tatum is a great talent but unlike Larry Hughes he lacks the playmaking skills to make the players around him better.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Ford was the coach 2 years ago, we still were not getting Tatum. We didn't have a talent on the team to make his one year in college in worthwhile. Unlike Michael Porter, he didn't have a top 25 kid brother who could have made us a power in the A10. But let's say we did get him. It would have been like Davidson last year -- gaudy numbers for Peyton Aldridge but the team was only above average. And that's assuming Coach Ford would have been able to bring in a transfer that was as talented as Jack Gibbs. Jayson Tatum is a great talent but unlike Larry Hughes he lacks the playmaking skills to make the players around him better.

When I say if we had Ford we would have had him I wasn't assuming Ford was starting on day 1 with a sh!t roster (like he was last year). Rather I was assuming he was mid-stream in his coaching here. Put differently, if Tatum was in the 2018 class and everything else was the same, I feel pretty comfortable saying ford could convince him to join next year's team and take us to the Final 4.

On 8/21/2017 at 12:22 PM, bonwich said:

Wow. How's that for a big endorsement? (I think it has more to do with personal affinity than financial reward. :)

Imo's inks hoops hotshot Tatum for pizza plugs

http://bit.ly/2x6fxUG

Agreed. Although if he inked a similar deal to Freese, he should be getting about $10-15k in Imo's gift certificates. Which should be just enough for one extra large pizza.