SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

This brought a dose of perspective to the situation at SLU.  There are plenty of traditionally high level college soccer programs having issues these days:

COACH, SCHOOL (2017 RECORD; CURRENT RPI) – RECENT NCAA TOURNAMENT APPEARANCES

Jorge Salcedo, UCLA (7-9-1; 37) – Missed NCAA Tournament for first time since 82 and had first losing season in program history.

Mike McGinty, Saint Louis (7-9-1; 50) – two NCAA appearances the last eight seasons, most recently in 2014.

Dave Masur, St. John’s (9-6-3; 63) – no NCAA tournament appearances the past four seasons.

Pat Laughlin, Brown (8-5-3; 71) – no NCAA tournament appearances the past five seasons.

Ray Reid, Connecticut (8-7-2; 76) – one NCAA tournament appearance (2015) the past four seasons.

Mark Berson, South Carolina (6-8-2; 81) – two NCAA tournament appearances the past 6 seasons, last in 2016

Bob Warming, Penn State (5-9-2; 100) – one NCAA appearances the past seven seasons, most recently in 2014.

Steve Simmons, Oregon State (6-11-0; 118) – Once NCAA tournament appearance (2014) the past 14 seasons.

Dan Donigan, Rutgers (4-13-1; 132) – one NCAA tournament appearance the past six seasons.

Tim Vom Steeg, UC Santa Barbara (6-8-5; 139) – two NCAA tournament appearances the past six seasons, last in 2015.

Jim Barlow, Princeton (6-6-4; 143) – No NCAA tournament appearances the past eight seasons

Lev Kirshner, San Diego State (5-13-9; 159) – one NCAA tournament appearance (2016) the past 11 seasons.

Cam Rast, Santa Clara (2-13-1; 161) – two NCAA appearances the past 10 seasons, last in 2015.

Santa Clara, UC Santa Barbara, Connecticut and UCLA have all won NCAADivision I Men's soccer titles since SLU won their last in 1973.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2017 at 8:03 AM, Tilkowsky said:

Saying Fordham is good is really a stretch don't you think?

I just want to note to the intelligent soccer fans (or at least one's who have watched a game in the last decade) that Fordham is in the Sweet 16.  Fordham is not the only sweet 16 team that SLU beat this year as Stanford is in the sweet 16.  Akron, whom SLU tied, is also in the sweet 16.  A bunch of teams SLU lost to are in the Sweet 16 as well.  I think SLU had a broadly talented team this year that were not particularly coached well.  The A-10 had a good season and VCU got a seeded NCAA berth (UMass crapped out in the first round but they were really playing over their heads all year).

The last few bids went to Washington, UNC-Wilmington (with 11-7 record), Pacific, Virginia Tech (YES! they made it with a .500 record), and Charlotte (8-5-6).  It was a pretty strict RPI selection (although the seeding was not) with NC State (8-6-4) getting the non-RPI selection.

HoosierPal likes this

5 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

I just want to note to the intelligent soccer fans (or at least one's who have watched a game in the last decade) that Fordham is in the Sweet 16.  Fordham is not the only sweet 16 team that SLU beat this year as Stanford is in the sweet 16.  Akron, whom SLU tied, is also in the sweet 16.  A bunch of teams SLU lost to are in the Sweet 16 as well.  I think SLU had a broadly talented team this year that were not particularly coached well.  The A-10 had a good season and VCU got a seeded NCAA berth (UMass crapped out in the first round but they were really playing over their heads all year).

The last few bids went to Washington, UNC-Wilmington (with 11-7 record), Pacific, Virginia Tech (YES! they made it with a .500 record), and Charlotte (8-5-6).  It was a pretty strict RPI selection (although the seeding was not) with NC State (8-6-4) getting the non-RPI selection.

That is right Fordham that national soccer power.

Does SLU get points because they beat Fordham and Stanford (tied Akron)who are in the Sweet 16? A bunch of teams SLU lost to are in the Sweet 16 - can I ask the relevance?

So VCU getting a seed is supposed to show the A-10 is a good soccer conference. When was the last time an A-10 school won it all? 1973 was it?

It seems the coaching is always to blame. At least for the past eight years. Does that make you feel better?

I guess it can't be that the players weren't that good?

Virginia Tech is in a Power 5 conference. How many mid-majors were .500 and received bids.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Hey TrollPants, I assume you are still lurking out there.  England hasn't won a World Cup since 1966. Time to shut down the National Program, right? 

Nice analogy. The World Cup is held every four years.

The NCAA Division I Men's Soccer tournament is held every year.

Does Diener know Soccer?

Let's get a guy so German they have to bring me in to translate.  I'll go recruit him.  Also I'd double as the schools TIX investigator.  Investigations would be wrapped up quickly. Money $aved.

Or

The UN Omaha coach, Jason Mims, seems like a good option, should be willing to move up to a traditional soccer power.  SLU guy with Midwest experience and success.  Also this from their website, http://www.omavs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=196&path=msoc

"Recognized as one of the best identifiers and developers of college soccer players in the nation, Mims recruited 10 All-Americans, eight conference players of the year, 21 all-region honorees and 50 all-conference picks at Creighton"

5 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Does Diener know Soccer?

Diener might not know soccer, but Rockhurst's soccer coach Tony Tocco is a SLU grad (1967) and a coaching legend in NAIA and DII.  He has the Hawks in the final 4 for the 2nd straight season and is the all time winningest intercollegiate college soccer coach.

I highly doubt he is on SLU's radar though because he is like 75 years old and has been at Rockhurst since 1973(!).

#HawkPride

6 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Does Diener know Soccer?

Let's get a guy so German they have to bring me in to translate.  I'll go recruit him.  Also I'd double as the schools TIX investigator.  Investigations would be wrapped up quickly. Money $aved.

Or

The UN Omaha coach, Jason Mims, seems like a good option, should be willing to move up to a traditional soccer power.  SLU guy with Midwest experience and success.  Also this from their website, http://www.omavs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=196&path=msoc

"Recognized as one of the best identifiers and developers of college soccer players in the nation, Mims recruited 10 All-Americans, eight conference players of the year, 21 all-region honorees and 50 all-conference picks at Creighton"

Has he ever won anything?

On 11/22/2017 at 9:22 AM, RUBillsFan said:

... Rockhurst's soccer coach Tony Tocco is a SLU grad (1967) and a coaching legend in NAIA and DII.  He has the Hawks in the final 4 for the 2nd straight season and is the all time winningest intercollegiate college soccer coach.

Coach Tocco is also Professor Tocco and teaches accounting all while coaching full-time.  I did not go to Rockhurst, but I have always heard that he is very engaged with the academic enterprise.  Does that guy ever sleep?

8 hours ago, William Iken said:

You know Sasho Cirovski never won a national championship before moving to Maryland, right?

quit feeding the f,,king trolls. I don't know why people can't get it. He'll go away when the only person who responds to him is himself.

13 hours ago, William Iken said:

You know Sasho Cirovski never won a national championship before moving to Maryland, right?

So that means it will happen for the guy who was at University of Nebraska-Omaha right?

McGinty was supposed to be a great recruiter. How did that work out?

Who did he ever recruit that was highly touted and turned out to be as billed?

19 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

So that means it will happen for the guy who was at University of Nebraska-Omaha right?

McGinty was supposed to be a great recruiter. How did that work out?

Who did he ever recruit that was highly touted and turned out to be as billed?

Did you ever consider that maybe he just was not a good coach and if he had been then his recruits would have had better results?

6 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Did you ever consider that maybe he just was not a good coach and if he had been then his recruits would have had better results?

Sure it is possible.

But if SLU players were great why would you stick it out st SLU? Why not transfer? Because in soccer you don't have to sit out a season.

If he could attract top talent why didn't Nick Popovic of CBC who was National High School Player of the Yearsign with SLU?

My question then would be who did SLU beat out for the signatures of his recruits?

Were IU, UCLA, Notre Dame, Stanford vying for the signatures of the players he recruited?

Or, were Eastern Illinois, Evansville, Western Illinois, Missouri State trying to sign these kids. 

That would tell you a lot.

If it truly were McGinty and the players were all world then making the NCAA should be no problem.

22 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Please quit. WTF don't people understand.He's a troll he's not trying to have an objective opinion.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Please quit. WTF don't people understand.He's a troll he's not trying to have an objective opinion.

Skip, I know who he is but honestly why do you think you have the right to tell me or anyone else who they can respond to?  I understand that he frustrates you but honestly don't let him get under your skin.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Fordham is really good.  They took down Duke to reach the NCAA College Cup final 8.  UNC is up next. 

SLU  2 - 1 - 2  against the NCAA Elite 8 in 2017.  Whoever the new coach is, he is not coming to a team completely bereft of talent.  May stated he could not conclude discussion with several of the candidates as they are still involved in the tournament....this promises to  be interesting...

HoosierPal likes this

8 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Skip, I know who he is but honestly why do you think you have the right to tell me or anyone else who they can respond to?  I understand that he frustrates you but honestly don't let him get under your skin.

I didn't tell you anything, I asked ... Please quit. He's annoying it doesn't help to ignore him as people keep quoting him. I can't believe he's allowed to stay on the board. 

13 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

SLU  2 - 1 - 2  against the NCAA Elite 8 in 2017.  Whoever the new coach is, he is not coming to a team completely bereft of talent.  May stated he could not conclude discussion with several of the candidates as they are still involved in the tournament....this promises to  be interesting...

So how do you explain that they finished under .500 then?

Were they unlucky?

Maybe they were lucky in those five games?