SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

6 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

That gave me a good chuckle.  I’ve met Mike, however I’m not related to him and have never played for him, though I am close to a couple of his ex-players.  I believe whether or not MM gets sacked depends on the next few days.  If the Bills get destroyed by UMass, his career here is probably over.  If SLU goes on a run, he probably stays.

Gelling means more than simply thrashing SJU.  Beating both Tulsa and Fordham away is no walk in the park.

You appear to be a SLU supporter, albeit in a curiously negative way.  I would hope the plausible success of our soccer team outweighs any loathing you might have for Mike.....  

Please do not quote him almost the entire board has him on ignore and can't nor do they want to read his posts. This isn't a MM thing, it's a SLU thing. He has the same mo on the STL today board. Just a troll living under a bridge somewhere. Please don't feed

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

SInce you mentioned Sasho here is a nice long interview he gave recently on college soccer and American soccer in general (despite the fact he is Secretly Canadian!). 

https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/75514/sasho-cirovski-we-need-do-rediscover-our-shared-v.html

Good article.  Thanks for forwarding.  I truly hope he is successful in his quest to split the season.  College Cup in May would be fantastic!

2 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

That gave me a good chuckle.  I’ve met Mike, however I’m not related to him and have never played for him, though I am close to a couple of his ex-players.  I believe whether or not MM gets sacked depends on the next few days.  If the Bills get destroyed by UMass, his career here is probably over.  If SLU goes on a run, he probably stays.

Gelling means more than simply thrashing SJU.  Beating both Tulsa and Fordham away is no walk in the park.

You appear to be a SLU supporter, albeit in a curiously negative way.  I would hope the plausible success of our soccer team outweighs any loathing you might have for Mike.....  

So if they lose 2-1 to UMASS he stays. Look he has been a disaster of a soccer coach.

Two NCAA tournament appearances in eight years (more than likely) is unacceptable.

Define a run. If they would, make it to the A-10 final is that a run?

There are posters on this board who think if they win two more games they are in line for an NCAA at large bid. They probably think they would get a home game as well.

That is pure nonsense.

Look McGinty finished 7-8-1. Is that acceptable? I would say not.

What high profile recruits has he brought to SLU and what have they produced?

I would argue that the answer is none and nothing.

Something notable about this three-win streak:  Saadiq Mohammed, a guy who is a game changer if you have ever seen him play, played a total of 15 minutes in the last eight games prior to the win streak.  During this win streak he has scored two goals and had two assists so his presence has been felt.  He did play early on in the season but saw his minutes slide from 82 on 8/25 to 25 minutes on 9/9 and then he didn't play again until 10/18.  Hopefully he is getting back to being healthy at the right time.

UMass, while likely in the tournament already, will still be viewing the SLU game as tourney guarantee.  They will be ready and I plan on attending (although it will mean convincing my daughter to go).  IF SLU wins their RPI will move into the high 30's and make that part of their resume solid.  They have a lot of losses (home losses to Dayton and Davidson in particular will hurt) and that will count against them but they are 2-3-1 against top 25 RPI and would be 3-5-1 against top 50 IF they beat UMass.  Ideally Fordham will beat Dayton and then beating Fordham will get SLU's RPI into the lower 30's (beating Dayton at home will also have a similar RPI effect but probably not look as good for the committee).  Fordham, like UMass, is a likely tourney at large but no doubt are planning to beat Dayton at home to seal it.

6 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I’m still miffed they eliminated the last SLU team that actually had a shot at the overall...Vedad, DiRaimondo, Grazier, etc...

I was about ready to remind you of the team that featured Dipsy Selowane and Brad Davis, but then I remembered that that happened a few years earlier.

4 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Something notable about this three-win streak:  Saadiq Mohammed, a guy who is a game changer if you have ever seen him play, played a total of 15 minutes in the last eight games prior to the win streak.  During this win streak he has scored two goals and had two assists so his presence has been felt.  He did play early on in the season but saw his minutes slide from 82 on 8/25 to 25 minutes on 9/9 and then he didn't play again until 10/18.  Hopefully he is getting back to being healthy at the right time.

what year is he?

As I have no idea as to whom is considered and troll and who is not, and do not want to risk incurring the wrath of veteran posters, I will comment on the above posts without quoting.  I do have a high troll tolerance - the only thing that really irritates me is haters coming on a soccer thread to post nothing more relevant than “soccer sucks...”

1) I believe SLU will need a run to the A10 title game, and will need to win said game.  I understand the rationale behind an elevated RPI allowing us to access the NCAA with only two more wins, but I just don’t think our record will allow it.  Hope I’m wrong.  Anyway, with our luck, we would probably draw IU at Bloomington first round....

2) No, I don’t think MM has put on a stellar performance by any stretch of the imagination.  Which is why I believe his fate hangs in the balance during the next 10 days.  HIs last high level recruit: Kristo.  That guy could have played just about anywhere in college.  Granted, nothing much produced post season...how does one argue that point...

3) Was Sadiq injured or in the doghouse?  I don’t know.  Good to have him back and actually scoring a goal.  I believe he is a sophomore.

4) Hope you can make the UMass game.  Nothing like attending a SLU away game, whether soccer or basketball, and beating the locals :)

5) Brad Davis team was good, but IMHO the Vedad team was better.  The best team in modern Bills history, that’s easy, the McBride, Sorber, Kuntz teams of the early 90’s.  They were really skilled, should have won the whole thing, but UVA got in the way.

William Iken likes this

13 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

As I have no idea as to whom is considered and troll and who is not, and do not want to risk incurring the wrath of veteran posters, I will comment on the above posts without quoting.  I do have a high troll tolerance - the only thing that really irritates me is haters coming on a soccer thread to post nothing more relevant than “soccer sucks...”

1) I believe SLU will need a run to the A10 title game, and will need to win said game.  I understand the rationale behind an elevated RPI allowing us to access the NCAA with only two more wins, but I just don’t think our record will allow it.  Hope I’m wrong.  Anyway, with our luck, we would probably draw IU at Bloomington first round....

2) No, I don’t think MM has put on a stellar performance by any stretch of the imagination.  Which is why I believe his fate hangs in the balance during the next 10 days.  HIs last high level recruit: Kristo.  That guy could have played just about anywhere in college.  Granted, nothing much produced post season...how does one argue that point...

3) Was Sadiq injured or in the doghouse?  I don’t know.  Good to have him back and actually scoring a goal.  I believe he is a sophomore.

4) Hope you can make the UMass game.  Nothing like attending a SLU away game, whether soccer or basketball, and beating the locals :)

5) Brad Davis team was good, but IMHO the Vedad team was better.  The best team in modern Bills history, that’s easy, the McBride, Sorber, Kuntz teams of the early 90’s.  They were really skilled, should have won the whole thing, but UVA got in the way.

I hear people say SLU hasn't one the championship in in over 40 years but it's not about being the final team or bust. You and others have listed these teams that were very good and competitive with the best teams in the country. We were a power not that long ago. As much as I like the McGinty hire at the time he has absolutely beyond a doubt failed. We aren't even an A10 power. more or less a national  power. We can get there again but I don't think it can happen with MM. Regardless of what happens this year a change needs to be made

15 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

The Vedad may have been better, but the Dipsy Selowane, Brad Davis, Jack Jewsbury led team also had a shot a national title, but the got tripped up in the quarterfinals.  I thought they were the more recent team which was my point.

Incidentally, Vedad is the more notable of the two but Dipsy scored more goals and more points.  He scored in every game that season except for the 0-1 loss to Stanford.  Dipsy was a few years older, I believe.

Those were good times for sure.

16 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Listen I really like soccer and have been a SLU soccer fan for 45 years.

They are not going to make the tournament unless they win it. Drawing IU would be fun - I would make the drive for that. I bet the majority of posters on this board wouldn't.

McGinty should have been fired four years ago.

SLU hasn't been competitive under McGinty not even close. SLU soccer used to be to soccer what UCLA still is to basketball. 

Robbie Kristo could not have played almost anywhere. Nothing produced post-season. He wasn't that good. I wonder what other offers he had instead of SLU. I bet there wasn't a Power 5 offer in the bunch. Also, look at his pro career - currently in the Third Division of Germany. His career is all but finished.

Look at the games where Sadiq Muhammad scored. Mostly scored against really poor teams. Doesn't impress me. He was a good human interest story - his on field career has been disappointing at best.

I actually think the year you are talking about is 1997. The Billikens lost to UVA at college Cup. The last time they have been there. Hard to believe that was twenty years ago.

17 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I am not saying they would be in the tournament without winning the A-10.  What I am saying is that SLU is in the unique position when a .500 record could get you in as an at-large.  That unique position was created by both a hard non-conference schedule and an unusually successful A-10 year.  Some people only look at records (or negatives in general) and do not look at the actual selection criteria.  The RPI formula in soccer includes built in rewards for quality wins and penalties for bad losses/ties and that is part of the reason SLU has a good RPI without a great record.

Of course, tournament selection is more than RPI and also partly subjective.  I cannot predict the subjective reaction of the committee but in general soccer has allowed quite a few teams with around .500 records into the tournament and will do so again this year.  That is the point that must be acknowledged. 

You could say those teams are generally in the best conferences or you could say it is because those near .500 teams played a tough schedule.  If the selection of near .500 teams is a function of "big conference conspiracy" then SLU would likely not get a .500 at-large bid but if the latter is true (the SOS is what matters and I think this is likely the reason for .500 at-large bids) then SLU has a good shot if their RPI is in the mid 30's and a decent shot (less than 50% though) if their RPI is in the high 30's.

Creighton comes to mind when a few years ago they had a .500 record or maybe two games better but their RPI got them an at-large bid.

The year Davis's team played Stanford in the tourney and lost must be remembered for two reasons.  We dominated that year and still did not get a top seed meaning we had to travel to Stanford.  On top of that, it rained in a torrential fashion at Stanford making the field a mess.   Stanford scored after our goalie (John Politis (sp)) slipped on a goal kick, hitting the ball just outside the 18, and their top forward buried it.  I think Davis hit the crossbar in that game too.  I am stretching on remembering this but I think that is right.  It was a damn good team that year.

10 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

On top of that, it rained in a torrential fashion at Stanford making the field a mess.   Stanford scored after our goalie (John Politis (sp)) slipped on a goal kick, hitting the ball just outside the 18, and their top forward buried it.  I think Davis hit the crossbar in that game too.  I am stretching on remembering this but I think that is right.  It was a damn good team that year.

I had forgotten about the rain and had never heard about the goalie slipping.  I listened to that game on the radio.

Hard to imagine back in 2001 and 2003 that the fans would eventually turn on Dan Donigan and that he would eventually depart for Rutgers and the safety and security of a five-year contract.  Not sure the status of his current contract, but he is 4-12-1 so...

5 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

I am not saying they would be in the tournament without winning the A-10.  What I am saying is that SLU is in the unique position when a .500 record could get you in as an at-large.  That unique position was created by both a hard non-conference schedule and an unusually successful A-10 year.  Some people only look at records (or negatives in general) and do not look at the actual selection criteria.  The RPI formula in soccer includes built in rewards for quality wins and penalties for bad losses/ties and that is part of the reason SLU has a good RPI without a great record.

Of course, tournament selection is more than RPI and also partly subjective.  I cannot predict the subjective reaction of the committee but in general soccer has allowed quite a few teams with around .500 records into the tournament and will do so again this year.  That is the point that must be acknowledged. 

You could say those teams are generally in the best conferences or you could say it is because those near .500 teams played a tough schedule.  If the selection of near .500 teams is a function of "big conference conspiracy" then SLU would likely not get a .500 at-large bid but if the latter is true (the SOS is what matters and I think this is likely the reason for .500 at-large bids) then SLU has a good shot if their RPI is in the mid 30's and a decent shot (less than 50% though) if their RPI is in the high 30's.

Unless they win the A-10 tournament they aren't getting in.

Has there ever been a mid- major get in with a .500 record and Top 40 RPI?

On 11/2/2017 at 11:01 AM, kwyjibo said:

UMass, while likely in the tournament already, will still be viewing the SLU game as tourney guarantee.  They will be ready and I plan on attending (although it will mean convincing my daughter to go).  IF SLU wins their RPI will move into the high 30's and make that part of their resume solid.  They have a lot of losses (home losses to Dayton and Davidson in particular will hurt) and that will count against them but they are 2-3-1 against top 25 RPI and would be 3-5-1 against top 50 IF they beat UMass.  Ideally Fordham will beat Dayton and then beating Fordham will get SLU's RPI into the lower 30's (beating Dayton at home will also have a similar RPI effect but probably not look as good for the committee).  Fordham, like UMass, is a likely tourney at large but no doubt are planning to beat Dayton at home to seal it.

Fingers crossed we turn UMass upside down today!

Just now, Gremio14 said:

We should be up by at least two goals.  Simply cannot finish...amazing...

Yeah.  There was some decent chances.  UMass is well coached in set pieces and positioning.  SLU looks better in possession and moves the ball better in midfield but nothing much near the box.

5 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

Yeah.  There was some decent chances.  UMass is well coached in set pieces and positioning.  SLU looks better in possession and moves the ball better in midfield but nothing much near the box.

SLU will tie this game if the run of play continues.