SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

11 hours ago, WUH said:

Billikens lose 4-0 to VCU.

The season may as well be over.

It is over. Scheduling a difficult non-conference schedule did not work.

They may not even make the post-season tournament because if memory serves me correct not everyone makes it.

Whatever happened to Sadiq Muhammed? That guy sure fell off the face of the earth.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really not sure how McGinty survives this year now.....Dominating the A10 should be a mandatory condition even if non-conference play was mixed against a very difficult group.  If the teams wins the A10 tourney and gets the automatic NCAA birth, maybe that buys him a year. 

Box score shows many players being used last night.  Potential reasons:  McGinty can't find that one group who is consistent; he's already planning for next year by getting people playing time; injuries and fitness are a real issue; he was so pissed off with the starters giving up 4 goals in the first half that he sits them all for the second half.

SLU STARTERS
Sascha Otte, Andre Rivers-Hardware, Jair Hernandez, Lennart Hein, Patrick Sarr, Anthony Brown, Duncan Corbett, Leo Novaes, Patrick Wilkinson, Matteo Kidd, Moussa Diarra

SLU SUBSTITUTES
Akeem Richards, Ben Huels, Keaton Schieffer, Jacob Krupp, Quayyum Murana, Spencer Jones, Ben Barkley, Desmond Dolphy, Saadiq Mohammed, Andrew van Nispen, Sean Armistead

Will they even make the A-10 tournament?

I didn't think that was even a possibility. I don't believe everyone makes the tournament. Do they?

No way McGinty should have made it this far.

Two NCAA tournament appearances in eight years.

No way is that good enough.

They are beyond help.

At least there was a Sadiq Muhammed sighting.

Good to know that guy is still around.

What a disappointment he has been.

11 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Will they even make the A-10 tournament?

I didn't think that was even a possibility. I don't believe everyone makes the tournament. Do they?

No way McGinty should have made it this far.

Two NCAA tournament appearances in eight years.

No way is that good enough.

They are beyond help.

At least there was a Sadiq Muhammed sighting.

Good to know that guy is still around.

What a disappointment he has been.

You are quite the guy, harping on college age atheletes. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

5 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

You are quite the guy, harping on college age atheletes. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night.

Tilkowski is a troll and this post is not a support of him but does your protection of college age athletes apply only to soccer players and non-revenue college athletes? A different standard for basketball players and basketball coaches? as rhis Board (and you) have made countless posts running basketball players, head coaches and assistant coaches out of town. 

Last week, an individual took the time to go to the SLU Men's Soccer Facebook page to thank the team for spontaneously joining in on the applause for a flight of veterans while waiting at the airport.  This while traveling to play George Washington. 

I thought that was cool.

22 minutes ago, WUH said:

Last week, an individual took the time to go to the SLU Men's Soccer Facebook page to thank the team for spontaneously joining in on the applause for a flight of veterans while waiting at the airport.  This while traveling to play George Washington. 

I thought that was cool.

That definitely shows class and heart for sure. Right thing to do. However, one good deed doesn't excuse or make up for short comings of this program. We are talking about two different things here.

7 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

So you have never complained about a basketball player's performance at SLU? 

You don't think that college age athletes performance or lack thereof won't be critiqued tomorrow at college football stadiums across the country?

49 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-the soccer ladies are having a very good season

The weakness of the conference has really hurt their RPI.  On October 8 their RPI was at 33.  After wins over Rhode Island and Richmond their RPI was at 49.  They are probably going to have to win the conference tournament to make the NCAA.

5 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

That definitely shows class and heart for sure. Right thing to do. However, one good deed doesn't excuse or make up for short comings of this program. We are talking about two different things here.

I was just relaying a cool story in a season in which the cool stories may begin and end with Stanford.

This was not directly related to you or your posts.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

SLU won 3 national championships while I attended SLU in the early 70's.  This is so sad.........Counce, Clark , Leahy.  So many great St.Louis players in those years.

That was a different time.  When that was happening SLU had access to the best players who just happened to live in St. Louis.  Today good soccer is being played in lots of places other than St. Louis   Even if you got all the top players in St. Louis that probably still would not get it done. Now many schools are recruiting all across the  country so the competition is much greater than the time you are talking about.   Without a significant change in commitment to the program this is more likely what we will see. Could new coach do a little better maybe but just how much is the question. 

SLU is 4-8-1 after the OT loss last night to Davidson.

SLU is in a three way tie for 8th in the league standings with the Top 8 going on the A-10 tourney and league leading Fordham on the schedule.  The Billikens end the season with a 3-8-4 St. Joseph's.

How did we get here (rhetorical question)?

28 minutes ago, WUH said:

SLU is 4-8-1 after the OT loss last night to Davidson.

SLU is in a three way tie for 8th in the league standings with the Top 8 going on the A-10 tourney and league leading Fordham on the schedule.  The Billikens end the season with a 3-8-4 St. Joseph's.

How did we get here (rhetorical question)?

Not having a decent coach for one.

McGinty should be fired the day after the last game.

It was obviously not a good hire.

I honestly don't see a way back for them, outside of the fact that you could tell recruits that you will get plenty of playing time since the roster seems devoid of talent.

23 hours ago, Cowboy said:

I'm assuming this came out of the sports marketing group, so as much we criticize, we must also praise.