SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Do we have a local St Louis guy who would want to be SLUs coach and be good at it? 

You open up the job and hire the best person who will take it. Don't limit yourself to proven head coaches.  Don't worry about where they are from.  Don't hire Mike Sorber unless you want to hire him in advancement to fund raise for a new stadium.

10 hours ago, WUH said:

You open up the job and hire the best person who will take it. Don't limit yourself to proven head coaches.  Don't worry about where they are from.  Don't hire Mike Sorber unless you want to hire him in advancement to fund raise for a new stadium.

Why do they need a new stadium? They can't fill this one. 

They had 3000 people for Stanford. The best game of the year and they can't sell out.

Why on earth would they invest in a new stadium? Where would you put it?

Sorber is making too much money in MLS to take the SLU job. I heard that McGinty makes 65000.  I also heard that the Creighton coach interviewed the same time as McGinty and took the Creighton job because it paid double.

if it is true McGinty makes 65000 that explains a lot.

Courtside,

I think you first need to understand how schools with not an ounce of tradition have suddenly become more competitive on a national scale.  Did they hire seasoned coaches from bigger name schools?  Did they hire up-and-coming asst coaches at bigger schools (McGinty fell in this camp).  Did they go with an unknown and hit a home run?    Did their recruiting make the most impact? Are the schools paying more money to coaches and providing more resources?  Are the schools cheaper (it matters when you only have 9.9 scholarships to offer)? 

And, how many of these big power houses do it with "local" kids.....is that really something to be expected of SLU or just a wish based on the dominance of local kids back when we were a powerhouse?  I for one can certainly see a kid living in St. Louis thinking it would be nice to take a break from St. Louis with all the drama/protests/bad press, etc and go play somewhere else for four years.  Especially top players who ARE recruited to good soccer schools.  That said, this past recruiting class was the most Mid-west centric in a long time versus the days of poaching Monteverde Academy in Florida or German players; so while it wasn't necessarily St. Louis kids, it was certainly closer to home than previous classes as a group.

Coach-wise, I have no idea.  I don't follow the college coaches locally or nationally enough to say, "We should go after this guy or that guy."  I certainly don't want someone who is looking at SLU as a step to another big school.  I think SLU still has some attraction for coaches for sure but something seems to be missing.  Technically, McGinty was a good hire....good pedigree, good background at a very respected soccer program, etc.  He did a great job with recruiting early on....those classes of Lee, Bryce, Kristo, Graydon, David, etc.  Those were good players but they underperformed relative to the talent they had.  Was that coaching or player execution??

26 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Courtside,

I think you first need to understand how schools with not an ounce of tradition have suddenly become more competitive on a national scale.  Did they hire seasoned coaches from bigger name schools?  Did they hire up-and-coming asst coaches at bigger schools (McGinty fell in this camp).  Did they go with an unknown and hit a home run?    Did their recruiting make the most impact? Are the schools paying more money to coaches and providing more resources?  Are the schools cheaper (it matters when you only have 9.9 scholarships to offer)? 

And, how many of these big power houses do it with "local" kids.....is that really something to be expected of SLU or just a wish based on the dominance of local kids back when we were a powerhouse?  I for one can certainly see a kid living in St. Louis thinking it would be nice to take a break from St. Louis with all the drama/protests/bad press, etc and go play somewhere else for four years.  Especially top players who ARE recruited to good soccer schools.  That said, this past recruiting class was the most Mid-west centric in a long time versus the days of poaching Monteverde Academy in Florida or German players; so while it wasn't necessarily St. Louis kids, it was certainly closer to home than previous classes as a group.

Coach-wise, I have no idea.  I don't follow the college coaches locally or nationally enough to say, "We should go after this guy or that guy."  I certainly don't want someone who is looking at SLU as a step to another big school.  I think SLU still has some attraction for coaches for sure but something seems to be missing.  Technically, McGinty was a good hire....good pedigree, good background at a very respected soccer program, etc.  He did a great job with recruiting early on....those classes of Lee, Bryce, Kristo, Graydon, David, etc.  Those were good players but they underperformed relative to the talent they had.  Was that coaching or player execution??

Sure, why not go some place else that has drama/protests/bad press for a break.

Bradley, Klingsman and Arena aren't the problem.  The problem is US Soccer starting with Gulati.  

He took over US Soccer when the USMNT was ranked 5th in the world.  It moved up to 4th a month later.  In the last rankings the team was at 28th and now they are missing the World Cup.

Tab Ramos, hopefully, will be named USMNT head coach shortly.  I also really like Caleb Porter.  I know a couple of kids still reeling from the 4-0 spanking his Akron team gave the Bills.  One guy told me it felt like they had 16 guys on the field.  The guy can coach. 

6 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Tab Ramos, hopefully, will be named USMNT head coach shortly.  I also really like Caleb Porter.  I know a couple of kids still reeling from the 4-0 spanking his Akron team gave the Bills.  One guy told me it felt like they had 16 guys on the field.  The guy can coach. 

Heck no. Needs to be someone from outside the system. We need a total rebuild. 

For me, it's gotta be Tata Martino. 

7 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Someone outside the system like Klinnsman?

Klinsmann was already living in the US. He had long been touted as a potential coach. He made zero changes to what previous regimes were doing, other than he brought in a few dual nationals. 

Martino would bring change. I'd love to see David Wagner. If he's not interested, look at Bielsa. If he's too old, maybe de Boer. Guys like Simeone or Tuchel are almost certainly a pipe dream.

Either way, nothing should be done until after next summer. Current national team managers will move on to new challenges. There will be good candidates available. 

Dont even schedule matches until March or later.  We need a break. 

Ramos and Porter are two guys who:

1) Understand the game.

2) Have the complete respect of their players.

3) Are familiar with the maze that is USA soccer.  The flow here is utterly different from Paraguay or Argentina (Tata,)

That said, Tata is an intriguing character.  The fact he has been successful in the MLS leads me to believe he might have a chance.  

The problem is actually MLS.

Players like Bradley, Altidore, Dempsey need to be in Europe.

Their positions are not challenged in MLS. They would be in Europe. 

Their positions on the National team aren't challenged either.

Michael Bradley was starting at AS Roma and came back to MLS. Since then his play has dramatically gone down.

Jozy Altidore FAILED in the Premier League. He is a star in MLS.

This was largely an MLS roster. Epic fail by the league.

5 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Ramos and Porter are two guys who:

1) Understand the game.

2) Have the complete respect of their players.

3) Are familiar with the maze that is USA soccer.  The flow here is utterly different from Paraguay or Argentina (Tata,)

That said, Tata is an intriguing character.  The fact he has been successful in the MLS leads me to believe he might have a chance.  

The whole US Soccer system needs to be blown up.  It is turning out less top flight players today than 20 years ago.  All the changes that were supposed to increase the number of top flight players have led to less.

11 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

The problem is actually MLS.

Players like Bradley, Altidore, Dempsey need to be in Europe.

Their positions are not challenged in MLS. They would be in Europe. 

Their positions on the National team aren't challenged either.

Michael Bradley was starting at AS Roma and came back to MLS. Since then his play has dramatically gone down.

Jozy Altidore FAILED in the Premier League. He is a star in MLS.

This was largely an MLS roster. Epic fail by the league.

The biggest problem is way MLS ownership is structured.  Their is no incentive for MLS clubs to spend money to develop players.  They can't sell their rights to European clubs because their rights are owned by the league.  

We have moved to a system were the Gallagher's of the world control the development of players.  If your family isn't willing to pay thousand of dollars you are frozen out.  Less costly high schools and church programs have been completely marginalized.

Bobby Metzinger likes this

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

Bradley, Klingsman and Arena aren't the problem.  The problem is US Soccer starting with Gulati.  

He took over US Soccer when the USMNT was ranked 5th in the world.  It moved up to 4th a month later.  In the last rankings the team was at 28th and now they are missing the World Cup.

This is not a bad general point but if you actually have watched last night's game Arena is a big problem.