• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Free entry, bribery with food.

The box score says 5,205

Even with free admission and food, 5,XXX is incredible.

Especially when you consider how often college students get free food these days.  Way more often than it used to be.

Looks like the had just over 300 for the last home game.

I am not sure if the men could draw much more than 5,205 this season with the same promotions (homecoming excluded).  It looks like 929 were in attendance for Wake Forest and 1,261 for Michigan State.

15 minutes ago, WUH said:

The box score says 5,205

Especially when you consider how often college students get free food these days.  Way more often than it used to be.

I am not sure if the men could draw much more than 5,205 this season with the same promotions (homecoming excluded).  It looks like 929 were in attendance for Wake Forest and 1,261 for Michigan State.

I hope they had a bunch of recruits at that game.

20 hours ago, bonwich said:

I read on Twitter that the women's team drew between 4,000 and 5,000 last night. Whatever the promotions staff did, even if it was nickel beers with no carding, that's damned impressive. 

My work had a stack of I'd say at least 100 tickets at the front desk available to anyone who wanted them. My guess is we weren't the only business in the area that got this treatment. My guess is that the amount of tickets distributed far exceeds the stadium capacity.

23 minutes ago, WUH said:

The box score says 5,205

This site has the women's team ranked #33.

https://herosports.com/rankings/college-d1-womens-soccer

Couple things I like in this thread:

The random Iranian retweet

I can get a free bowl for my ***** at the Soccer game

Wait I can't type B&tch?  She really would like the bowl.

42 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

My work had a stack of I'd say at least 100 tickets at the front desk available to anyone who wanted them. My guess is we weren't the only business in the area that got this treatment. My guess is that the amount of tickets distributed far exceeds the stadium capacity.

We had the opportunity to get tickets through my son's CYC team, and I'm sure they were offered to many teams.

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Women's team RPI is currently 24.

The women are unranked but getting votes (38th) in the coaches poll (United Soccer Coaches).  They are unranked with no votes by the tools at TopDrawer.  College Soccer News is sexist and Soccer America stopped doing polls.

The men are in a lot better position than people here realize despite their poor record of 1-3-1.  Stanford is ranked #1 but Denver has not been as good as expected so hopefully they can get a win over a good team.  Otherwise, a strong schedule (although not as strong as anticipated) leaves them with a good NCAA chance.  They would have to dominate in the A-10 with UMass, Davidson, and Fordham off to good starts.  I just did a quick forecast and I think a a 9-5-2 record regular season with a 2-1 A-10 tourney would get them in the NCAA tourney.  I am not predicting that for SLU but if they are good team and they put together a good run and win A10 road games they will be dancing (i. e., season is far from over).

2 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

The men are in a lot better position than people here realize despite their poor record of 1-3-1.  Stanford is ranked #1 but Denver has not been as good as expected so hopefully they can get a win over a good team.  Otherwise, a strong schedule (although not as strong as anticipated) leaves them with a good NCAA chance.  They would have to dominate in the A-10 with UMass, Davidson, and Fordham off to good starts.  I just did a quick forecast and I think a a 9-5-2 record regular season with a 2-1 A-10 tourney would get them in the NCAA tourney.  I am not predicting that for SLU but if they are good team and they put together a good run and win A10 road games they will be dancing (i. e., season is far from over).

Thanks for this update.

Stanford has dropped to No. 5 in one poll.

I believe they got shutout by Tulsa who incidentally is down this season and even lost to a Division II school in exhibition play.

kwyjibo likes this

37 minutes ago, WUH said:

Thanks for this update.

Stanford has dropped to No. 5 in one poll.

I believe they got shutout by Tulsa who incidentally is down this season and even lost to a Division II school in exhibition play.

They are still number #1 in College Soccer News but looking at their record now that you brought it up that does seem overly generous.  Since the Tulsa loss they have won but unimpressively against weak teams at home.  They are a good team but SLU should have a chance.

3 hours ago, kwyjibo said:

They are still number #1 in College Soccer News but looking at their record now that you brought it up that does seem overly generous.  Since the Tulsa loss they have won but unimpressively against weak teams at home.  They are a good team but SLU should have a chance.

Unfortunately, I did not make it out for Akron and I am not sure if I'll make it on Saturday, but I have to think that SLU has improved since the first two games of the regular season given the inexperience.

I was looking at Massey and he has Akron at No. 32 and Denver at No. 105, Tulsa at No. 90 and Fordham at No. 59 along with UMass at No. 161 and Davidson at No. 114.  Dayton will host the tourney, but they are way down...  Who knows?