SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The program does not need the Big East.  The program still has a great brand.  The non-conference schedule would not be possible otherwise. 

The Big East would be much better for sure, but the conference is not the primary issue.

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Damn, what the hell happened to our volleyball team???

they lost the coach who got the program up to a level they had never attained before, and her replacement, the current coach, just needs to be jettisoned.  With all the good high school programs in St Louis and an outstanding club program, there is no reason to not be a good to very good program.  Same with the men's soccer.  When you can't recruit well in a town like St Louis, but instead have a large number of foreign players, something is wrong and I think it all comes back to the head coach.  I know that other cities have caught up with St. Louis in soccer, but being able to get 2 or 3 of the top 5 or 6 top local players each year would produce a much better team than I am seeing now.  Unfortunately the top players from the area no longer see SLU as a high quality program and are choosing to leave the local team. 

Same might be said about the women's basketball team.  Combine last year's player losses along with who we lose after this year and it appears to me that Mrs Stone's team is in a downward spiral.  i don't see her recent years recruiting as providing a foundation for a successful program, going forward.  She was a welcome addition to the program after SG, but I don't think she is going to build the team.  She needs a good recruiting class this upcoming recruiting season, including some players who are good enough to step in and play right away.

Doesn't our men's basketball team provide all the evidence needed to understand that the Head Coach is the key.  Just look at the last 3 coaches to see how they can impact a program, either good (RM & TF)or bad (dead).

Mr. May, the ball is in your court!

We aren't going to the Big East anytime soon. We should be in the Valley, I know, I know, everyone relax, it makes more sense for us at this time than the A10. I don't understand how people put down the Valley, yet Creighton and Wichita State made it out to greener pastures from the Valley. Problem is I am not sure we could compete in the Valley especially in men's soccer right now. 

Haven't been able to catch any of these last three games so any opinion is based on nothing.  Either we are not that good or the teams we are playing are simply that much better.  Maybe we are prepping for the conference games but this will be a brutal period for the guys on the team to get through.  I can't imagine McGinty thought lining up 6 ranked teams to start the season - including #1 and #2 - would not risk an 0-6 start to the season.  It's not like this is the junior year of the Bryce/Lee/Kristo crop who competed with top teams.  There is nothing really proven about this team so there has to be a reason he decided to test this team thoroughly at the beginning.  I saw somewhere we have the 5th highest strength of schedule; I can't imagine that not going up once we get through #1 Stanford.  As noted previously, there's some good soccer being played at SLU to go watch, but unfortunately it's not SLU providing it.  I do miss the old days where we at least went toe-to-toe with the top teams.  The Top 10 are the typical teams we have seen for years but once you get outside of that, you really start to see some teams I would have never assigned an ounce of respect for their soccer program:  http://collegesoccernews.com/index.php/polls/csn-top-30-poll/1078-college-soccer-news-top-30-national-poll-week-ending-september-3-2017

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

they lost the coach who got the program up to a level they had never attained before, and her replacement, the current coach, just needs to be jettisoned.  With all the good high school programs in St Louis and an outstanding club program, there is no reason to not be a good to very good program.  Same with the men's soccer.  When you can't recruit well in a town like St Louis, but instead have a large number of foreign players, something is wrong and I think it all comes back to the head coach.  I know that other cities have caught up with St. Louis in soccer, but being able to get 2 or 3 of the top 5 or 6 top local players each year would produce a much better team than I am seeing now.  Unfortunately the top players from the area no longer see SLU as a high quality program and are choosing to leave the local team. 

Same might be said about the women's basketball team.  Combine last year's player losses along with who we lose after this year and it appears to me that Mrs Stone's team is in a downward spiral.  i don't see her recent years recruiting as providing a foundation for a successful program, going forward.  She was a welcome addition to the program after SG, but I don't think she is going to build the team.  She needs a good recruiting class this upcoming recruiting season, including some players who are good enough to step in and play right away.

Doesn't our men's basketball team provide all the evidence needed to understand that the Head Coach is the key.  Just look at the last 3 coaches to see how they can impact a program, either good (RM & TF)or bad (dead).

Mr. May, the ball is in your court!

I also heard that SLU ran off assistant women's soccer coach who recruited current team and that guy went to Xavier? He was connected with soccer park, a St Louisan and the Gallagher Club is telling girls to avoid SLU. Anyone else have more information about why that coach left SLU and under what circumstances? If this is true, then it is very concerning and questions overall judgement. The better the team does the worse the AD might be looked at. Now I'm sure there are two sides to the story, but if he's at Xavier makes me wonder what happened. Again, any additional information would be great as this is just what guys I know with daughters/grand daughters have repeated. Thanks

I'll say again, I think the only other team that I can remember going back to the Dan Donigan era that was as good as Wake Forest was a Top 10 Southern Methodist that visited maybe 11-12 years ago, though I do not get to every game.

The Billikens were far more competitive against Michigan State.  They were potentially two botched clearances away from a 0-0 or 0-1 result.  The Spartans were certainly the better team, but not by a lot, especially considering the number of freshmen and sophomores on the field.

Having said that, I think the administration is squandering a valuable opportunity.  Time to make a coaching change first.  Time to do a major update to the stadium second.

On September 3, 2017 at 11:41 AM, billikenfan05 said:

Look, I'm not a McGinty apologist by any stretch of the imagination but I think this season will be judged on what we do in conference. I think everyone knew we didn't have the horses this year to compete with the top 25. This non-conference has been about getting the team ready to be the team to beat in the A-10. 

As it pertains to McGinty's tenure here, he has done a fairly good job. 2 NCAA tournaments. Only 1 losing season. You have to realize that the last time SLU won a national championship was over 40 years ago and you can't really place the same standards on a coach in this current NCAA soccer landscape. If SLU duffs the conference season then come back and call for McGinty's head

So now you are happy with a fairly good job? How the standards have fallen at SLU..

Even if they win the A-10 they will need to win the A-10 .  They will need to win the league tournament to make the NCAA.

22 hours ago, Billy Ken said:

We aren't going to the Big East anytime soon. We should be in the Valley, I know, I know, everyone relax, it makes more sense for us at this time than the A10. I don't understand how people put down the Valley, yet Creighton and Wichita State made it out to greener pastures from the Valley. Problem is I am not sure we could compete in the Valley especially in men's soccer right now. 

STAAAAAAAHP.

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

The team may not be lighting the nation on fire but you really should head over to their Facebook page and check out th clips and videos that former defender and  grad assistant Julian Gieseke is putting together. He's really doing great work to market the program. https://www.facebook.com/SLUMensSoccer/

No reason we can't be playing MU in basketball every year. 

Strategicly speaking we should be playing northwestern or DePaul, MU or UW - Milwaukee and SMU since those are big markets for potential students 

5 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

No reason we can't be playing MU in basketball every year. 

Strategicly speaking we should be playing northwestern or DePaul, MU or UW - Milwaukee and SMU since those are big markets for potential students 

stop

56 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Lol come up with a good reason we shouldn't be playing those teams

dude... 

1. soccer thread. so stop

2. we are just people posting on a message board. we dont influence anything. perhaps you should drop out of the seminary and work in our athletic department. be part of the change you seek

Just shows how people don't care about the Men's soccer team anymore(evidently along with administration).

Can't even celebrate a win.

I guess 3-3 is mathematically in play - even though I am sure no one really believes that.

Interesting they don't show the Stanford game as an upcoming home game on www.slu.edu.