SLU Soccer 2017

SLUBALLS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm also of the mindset that a change is due. However, I wouldn't be just assuming this is a dead year due to 1 game against a top school that we lost in overtime. I didn't see the game so maybe the score was much closer than the game. Any idea's on who we'd want if a change was made. I've always been a Kevin Kalish fan but my understanding is he wouldn't be interested. 

I was completely on board with the McGinty hire it just hasn't produced the results I'd like. I'm not even sure the results match the talent

My understanding is that Kalish resigned from SIU to spend more time with his family.

Honestly I don't know that anyone could turn it around.

17 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Since 1989 only three non-Power 5 schools have won the NCAADivision I Men's Soccer Championship.

Santa Clara, UC Santa Barbara, and Akron. 

I am not just talking about competing like Akron does, I am talking about winning the whole thing. Something SLU hasn't done since 1973. They haven't been to College Cup since 1997.

The idea about winning the whole thing has vanished from SLU.

Akron also has a football program, I would bet their soccer budget is bigger than SLU's.

Two of those programs are state schools. I think the scholarship limit really hurts the private schools in soccer. If you are a player that is only getting a partial scholarship, do you want to go to SLU and rack up a lot more debt or go to the state school? It doesn't make it impossible to compete, but it makes it harder.

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Two of those programs are state schools. I think the scholarship limit really hurts the private schools in soccer. If you are a player that is only getting a partial scholarship, do you want to go to SLU and rack up a lot more debt or go to the state school? It doesn't make it impossible to compete, but it makes it harder.

So does SLU just give up?

Or, I guess you recruit kids whose parents can pay the tuition?

or, maybe the kids can get an academic scholarship?

I remember the case of Will Bruin who SLU offered a full ride to and he still chose IU.

His parents were SLU alumni as well.

Maybe you recruit kids who are willing to pay the extra for the education?

Going to make it harder.

Santa Clara was also 1989. UC SantaBarbara was 11 years ago. Akron seven.

So if you take out Santa Clara it is two since 1990. Not good odds.

Bummed by the losses. 17 players used and that is not including the goalie.  Of those, only Hernandez and Hein played the full 90 minutes.  That's versus MSU's 7 players going the full 90.    We had two transfers, two redshirt freshmen, and three true freshmen see time tonight.  Five of those saw 45+ mins.  And one of our best players - Saadiq - played only 34 minutes.   Can't really experiment when going up against teams like MSU but might simply be due to the quick turnaround between high intensity games between Syracuse on Friday (OT) and tonight's MSU game. 

The most frustrating part about the loss tonight is that the first was scored off a sequence in which a Billiken upperclassman failed to clear the ball.  The ball was sent in to the far post and again a Billiken upperclassman failed to adequately clear the ball.

For those that did not see the game, the second goal was only scored after a last ditch effort at a goal with the keeper coming out past midfield to take a free kick.  This game could have easily finished 1-0.

The 50th anniversary celebration of the 1967 championship was very cool...

My theory about McGinty returning is this: at the point that it became clear that the institution needed to cut costs, the Athletic Director decided to hold off on any coaching changes, lest the salary of the next coach get approved for far less than the current salary.

That does happen though I obviously have no way of knowing whether that happened here.

9 minutes ago, Yenlar said:

McGinty followed his wife here when she was hired by the university.

I am going to assume this was directed to me since I was the last to comment on McGinty.

My point was not about the decision to hire Coach McGinty, but rather about the decision to retain him after a mediocre 7 seasons.

On August 28, 2017 at 0:47 PM, Yenlar said:

McGinty followed his wife here when she was hired by the university.

http://www.slu.edu/peoplefinder/index.php?query=McGinty

But they don't live in Saint Louis anymore. I believe he lives in Springfield Illinois.

why would they allow him to live in Springfield?

That is one heck of a commute.

1 hour ago, Tilkowsky said:

But they don't live in Saint Louis anymore. I believe he lives in Springfield Missouri.

why would they allow him to live in Springfield?

That is one heck of a commute.

Today you would be hard pressed to tell people where they have to live.  The key issue is can he do the job not where he lives.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

That's complete bull****. He lives in kirkwood. 

http://www.sj-r.com/x181943506/Well-traveled-SLU-coach-lives-in-Springfield

At least at some point in his SLU career he lived and commuted from Springfield.

Maybe he bought a house in Kirkwood so he would,not have to commute as much from Springfield.

Apologies accepted.

Cheeseman - the problem is he isn't get the job done.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

St. Louis County real estate records confirm this.  Or at least that he owns a house there.

The McGinty's live in Kirkwood, about 3/4 mile from the KHS soccer field.  Besides soccer, Sean was a pretty good 3200 meter runner for the track team. 

9 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

http://www.sj-r.com/x181943506/Well-traveled-SLU-coach-lives-in-Springfield

At least at some point in his SLU career he lived and commuted from Springfield.

Maybe he bought a house in Kirkwood so he would,not have to commute as much from Springfield.

Apologies accepted.

Cheeseman - the problem is he isn't get the job done.

I guess nobody is going to bother pointing out Tilkowsky said he lives in Springfield, MO, but this article says he lived in Springfield, IL (home of Illinois State and much closer to StL)?

Apology accepted for posting a faulty link, Tilkowsky.