Off-season talk

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Last season Bishop had 22.1% turnover rate.  Mitchell had a 14.5% his sophomore season.  That strips the assists opportunities completely out of the equation. Mitchell was far better at protecting the ball at the same point in their respective careers.

By last season with Bishop you are talking about his 9 games? Hardly a season's worth of games. This upcoming season will be Bishop's sophomore season.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Last season Bishop had 22.1% turnover rate.  Mitchell had a 14.5% his sophomore season.  That strips the assists opportunities completely out of the equation. Mitchell was far better at protecting the ball at the same point in their respective careers.

Bishop has to control turnovers, no doubt.  I do think one can argue that his high turnover rate is also a product of playing with a weak supporting cast (e.g. forcing things, guys not in the right spots, etc.). 

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Bishop has to control turnovers, no doubt.  I do think one can argue that his high turnover rate is also a product of playing with a weak supporting cast (e.g. forcing things, guys not in the right spots, etc.). 

That was no doubt part of his problem.  I just can't shake the stupid ones at key points from last season out of my head.  Dribbling the ball off his foot with the Bills down by one with under 2 minutes to go against Samford.  I think there was a pass right to a Chicago St player in the final seconds of that game.  That stuff just sticks in my head.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That was no doubt part of his problem.  I just can't shake the stupid ones at key points from last season out of my head.  Dribbling the ball off his foot with the Bills down by one with under 2 minutes to go against Samford.  I think there was a pass right to a Chicago St player in the final seconds of that game.  That stuff just sticks in my head.

Very fair points and he'll rightfully slide down the pecking order if he continues with such boneheaded plays.  I'm taking a leap of faith that he will cut down these turnovers and become a much more efficient player when he doesn't feel he has to do everything to make the offense work. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Unless im missing something, where is everyone coming up with these minutes for Graves?  The rotation will be firmly set when he becomes eligible.  I haven't heard much about him being lights out in practice. He wasn't lights out at BC. Yes hes athletic, yes he probably have the best handles on the team. If goodwin shows he can handle point, I'm just not sure graves gets a ton of minutes.

I could be totally off on all of that.  Thats why Im wondering. 

You will probably be banned for such blasphemy.  HOWEVER, I also have some unanswered questions about Graves.  But I truly, truly hope he sets the standard by which we measure all future short Billikens.  I hope we place him above Jett, McCall and Mitchell and fondly talk about him and Waldman as equals. (I yes I know Waldman wasn't short. I moved the goal posts - deal with it.)

That being said, Pistol stated he left Boston College as he was relegated to back up for an All Freshman ACC Point Guard. I am not doubting that.  So he leaves BC to be a back up to what we hope is an All A-10 Freshman Point Guard.  Please explain.

BC numbers sum up to 11 games, 207 minutes, 38% FG, 36% threes (19 of 50), 60% FT (3 of 5), 0 steals (defense?), 18 assists and 18 TO.  Yes, the ratio is 1.00.  If we had a returning player with these stats, uncle jack  and TGlory & TDays would be calling for him to transfer.  

Many MBM's state that Ford has 'guaranteed' Goodwin the starting PG slot, along with all the minutes he can handle.  So how did that conversation go between Ford and Graves?  "Ty, I want you to come to SLU.  I've already guaranteed Goodwin the starting PG, but you can back him up.  You no chance of ever starting here at SLU".

If he will be primarily an off guard, the waiting list is long next season even assuming Ford plays 3 wings/guards.  Wing players can and will include just about everyone except French, Foreman and Anthony.  Yes, Johnson and Welmer can/do play on the wing.

I'm wondering too where he fits in.  And like you, I hope I'm wrong.

14 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Nothing I haven't been saying but seems about 90% of the people on here have no idea what they're talking about 

A couple weeks ago you didn't even know what a grad manager was, and yet position yourself as an expert on all things college basketball. Go back to talking with yourself under different usernames about Mizzou's schedule and GTFOH.

3 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

A couple weeks ago you didn't even know what a grad manager was, and yet position yourself as an expert on all things college basketball. Go back to talking with yourself under different usernames about Mizzou's schedule and GTFOH.

Mizzou having a schedule is something to talk about but y'all too busy talking about Bishop who won't be in the rotation come conference time. Y'all are such d bags that I don't even care to tell you about recent recruiting. Keep jerking each other off about Zeke Moore and pizza 

25 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Nothing I haven't been saying but seems about 90% of the people on here have no idea what they're talking about 

Wrong, 99% of us have no idea what we're talking about. I listen to The Pelican.... nobody else 

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You will probably be banned for such blasphemy.  HOWEVER, I also have some unanswered questions about Graves.  But I truly, truly hope he sets the standard by which we measure all future short Billikens.  I hope we place him above Jett, McCall and Mitchell and fondly talk about him and Waldman as equals. (I yes I know Waldman wasn't short. I moved the goal posts - deal with it.)

That being said, Pistol stated he left Boston College as he was relegated to back up for an All Freshman ACC Point Guard. I am not doubting that.  So he leaves BC to be a back up to what we hope is an All A-10 Freshman Point Guard.  Please explain.

BC numbers sum up to 11 games, 207 minutes, 38% FG, 36% threes (19 of 50), 60% FT (3 of 5), 0 steals (defense?), 18 assists and 18 TO.  Yes, the ratio is 1.00.  If we had a returning player with these stats, uncle jack  and TGlory & TDays would be calling for him to transfer.  

Many MBM's state that Ford has 'guaranteed' Goodwin the starting PG slot, along with all the minutes he can handle.  So how did that conversation go between Ford and Graves?  "Ty, I want you to come to SLU.  I've already guaranteed Goodwin the starting PG, but you can back him up.  You no chance of ever starting here at SLU".

If he will be primarily an off guard, the waiting list is long next season even assuming Ford plays 3 wings/guards.  Wing players can and will include just about everyone except French, Foreman and Anthony.  Yes, Johnson and Welmer can/do play on the wing.

I don't see the conundrum. Even teams with 4* guards coming in need other ball handlers and shooters. Graves and Bishop will both have chances to compete for minutes in those roles. Graves left Boston mid school year, which is never an ideal situation, then decided Ford and SLU was the most attractive offer and best shot at playing time. Where's the mystery?

23 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Graves wasn't just stuck behind a freshman PG.  He was, also, competing with two sophomore wings for playing time.  One of those guys was an honorable mention All-ACC player who averaged 18.7 points and  led BC in assists.  The other guy shot 41.7% percent from 3.  So while I get the Ky Bowman/Goodwin comparison with Graves, he doesn't have to also compete with a combo of Jordan Chatman and Jerome Robison for minutes.  I really like Henriquez, but he isn't Jerome Robison and nobody on our roster is 3 point shooter on Chatman's level.

19 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Mizzou having a schedule is something to talk about but y'all too busy talking about Bishop who won't be in the rotation come conference time. Y'all are such d bags that I don't even care to tell you about recent recruiting. Keep jerking each other off about Zeke Moore and pizza 

@SluSignGuy, this here seems like pretty good evidence that a certain two usernames are a single poster.

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

How about JavB and JerB?

Excuse me, you're using 4 letters to abbreviate, Bess???  I'm sorry but I'm going with AD for you all know who, Bess for you all know who and then JB for the most controversial player on the team, through no fault of his own.

Sorry Roy, since I agree with you on quite a bit, but I think your little, and never ending crusade, to not use initials is a little bit like "I'm going to take my ball and go home."  It's a fight without a reason, especially since I don't want to be typing AD's name out for the next two seasons since he will likely get quite a bit of ink on Billikens.com. 

I like the suggestion from someone yesterday that we use CG for, ya you all know who.  I had been using CAG, but there is no reason to not just use CG.

Finally, if you must refer to Jake Barnett for whatever reason,  just use his name since references to him should be infrequent, if ever.

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

I do not wish to upset anyone but I think  it is time that roy and big bill fan start considering the merits of ignoring one another. 

Nope. Settle it like any respectable Billiken fan. Head to Salina KS and bring your paychecks