Off-season talk

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Don't know why it wasn't talked about but a VCU player just got hurt and Elliot Welmer was talked about as the most underrated player on this team 

???????????????  Was talked about where and when?  And what VCU player just got hurt?  and how serious is the injury?

30 minutes ago, bauman said:

???????????????  Was talked about where and when?  And what VCU player just got hurt?  and how serious is the injury?

The Billikens.com (home page) news feed yesterday had a link to an A-10 Talk article about the most underrated player for each team; Welmer was the choice for SLU.  No reference to the fact that he's been limited after a second foot injury.

I have nothing on the VCU news.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Wellmer? Due to his injury I'm thinking he's way behind the others. I'd have given the nod to Roby.

I doubt if too many A10 Coaches would have Roby on as an underrated player.  He averaged 12.9ppg in A10 games, and shot 41% from behind the line in those games.   I do agree that Welmer's injury has very likely hindered his development.  I'm not sure he would be underrated either.  I'm not sure who that would be.  Maybe Johnson?

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Wellmer? Due to his injury I'm thinking he's way behind the others. I'd have given the nod to Roby.

or Bishop, but certainly not Welmer, who has been injured for more than half the time he has been on scholarship.  It's hard to be underrated when you are on the injury list more than the active list.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Off-topic posts split into new topic

The jury's still out on Wellmer. Yes, he did show some promise last year as a matchup nightmare, but until he can stay healthy and do the work necessary to get and stay in game shape he's a big question mark. My nod to Roby has more to do with the arrival of transfers and Goodwin's than how he did last year. Opinions on the board re his future contributions have ranged from starting to seeing 10-15 mpg to getting mop up minutes. I think his expected contribution is being underrated. Don't expect he'll be the star of this squad but do think when he's on the floor he'll be more of a plus for us than a negative.   

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

On this board, he's overrated.

By just a few.  Others think he will be a valuable contributor, especially in the 1st semester while Graves sits.  JB will add real depth to the PG position, behind Goodwin.  The other first-semester eligible Guards are Roby and AD, neither of whom I have heard can play effectively at PG (and do not mention Hines, please).

38 minutes ago, bauman said:

By just a few.  Others think he will be a valuable contributor, especially in the 1st semester while Graves sits.  JB will add real depth to the PG position, behind Goodwin.  The other first-semester eligible Guards are Roby and AD, neither of whom I have heard can play effectively at PG (and do not mention Hines, please).

In an earlier interview Coach Ford stated that Goodwin, Bishop and Roby as his "ball handlers by committee".

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In an earlier interview Coach Ford stated that Goodwin, Bishop and Roby as his "ball handlers by committee".

Then Coach Ford just doesn't know what he's talking about!

I would guess Roby would be the third choice in that group.  Goodwin first choice and most time since "he was promised the starting PG spot during recruiting" -sorry this is not meant to get us back into that discussion!  JB second choice since he is probably the best ball handler of that group, and lastly Roby, who took a few turns at this last year, with only minimal success, but then he has had a year to improve.  I would guess that Roby will see most of his minutes as SG, behind AD or SF when needed based on an opponent going small against us.

Bishop is not a better ball handler than Goodwin.   Bishop is a better shooter when open.   Bishop would be a great designated free throw shooter if that rule gets put in.

June 6, 2017

“Jordan could definitely play the point,” Ford said recently. “He has the mentality and is a very unselfish, vocal guy. He reminds me a lot of Marcus Smart. I made him a point guard because I liked his mentality and approach to the game, and Jordan has a lot of the same qualities, but he’s played more point guard than Marcus at this point.”

Goodwin said those specifics have not been discussed but that he would be comfortable in that role.

I didn't see Goodwin play his Senior year. Did he play pg?  With the Eagles he played off ball with McKissic playing pg and guarding the other teams best guard.  Ford just said on 101.1 ESPN that Goodwin has lost 25lbs since June. That will definitely help in his transition. Looking forward to it. 

4 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I didn't see Goodwin play his Senior year. Did he play pg?  With the Eagles he played off ball with McKissic playing pg and guarding the other teams best guard.  Ford just said on 101.1 ESPN that Goodwin has lost 25lbs since June. That will definitely help in his transition. Looking forward to it. 

if you watched althoff during the last 4 years they never really had a point guard most possessions.  they would get a rebound and get down the floor as fast as possible and everyone had their turn distributing.   if they got stopped, it was a motion offense with everyone just filling spots.   dont worry, goodwin can distribute.   he is not a selfish player.   

31 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Did he say anything else? I missed the interview 

43 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Did he say anything else? I missed the interview 

standard stuff.... scheduling is hard, team is physical, invited the 101 crew to all games and practices... Goodwin is a BEAST