All teams safe in Spain

CBFan

I am glad to read all the US college basketball teams were safe after the attack.  Clemson, Oregon State, and American are out there.

i am sorry for the injury and loss of life and I feel for the kids having their chance of a lifetime ruined by hatred.

Looks like Arizona, Tulane, and Grand Canyon were also out that way, and all are safe.

We play Oregon State this year, and it sounds like they were staying pretty close to where it happened: http://deadspin.com/oregon-state-basketball-safe-in-barcelona-coach-wayne-1797960939

Nobody wants anybody to be hurt but really starting a thread like this is just silly.  Did you start a thread like this when the gunman in Orlando shot up that club? - no of course not.  There never was any indication that college teams where the target.   Can you get any more "the sky is falling".  People need to just calm down and keep a proper perspective.  Sorry for the rant but this over the top reaction just drives me crazy.

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Nobody wants anybody to be hurt but really starting a thread like this is just silly.  Did you start a thread like this when the gunman in Orlando shot up that club? - no of course not.  There never was any indication that college teams where the target.   Can you get any more "the sky is falling".  People need to just calm down and keep a proper perspective.  Sorry for the rant but this over the top reaction just drives me crazy.

I agree. The odds of someone being killed in Barcelona is somewhere in the 10 in 2 million range. The facebook  "we're safe" check ins are always a ice humble brag though. 

54 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

28 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

I agree. The odds of someone being killed in Barcelona is somewhere in the 10 in 2 million range. The facebook  "we're safe" check ins are always a ice humble brag though. 

An impressive level of cynicism. Bravo

30 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

As bad as sending thoughts and prayers?

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

As bad as sending thoughts and prayers?

Ehhh thoughts and prayers is still probably worse in my book. Denounce/disavow is coming in hot though. Might be able to knock thoughts and prayers off the top for most meaningless  you can say on the internet. 

12 minutes ago, goonaha said:

I think you've nailed down what's really wrong with this country. People letting other people who care about them know that they are safe. snowflakes all of them. Anything for a like, right?

Who said there's anything wrong with this country? I'm not going to sit here and let you badmouth the United States of America! 

3 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Ehhh thoughts and prayers is still probably worse in my book. Denounce/disavow is coming in hot though. Might be able to knock thoughts and prayers off the top for most meaningless  you can say on the internet. 

Who said there's anything wrong with this country? I'm not going to sit here and let you badmouth the United States of America

So, you'll take it lying down?

Just now, JMM28 said:

Who said there's anything wrong with this country? I'm not going to sit here and let you badmouth the United States of America! 

Generally people who un-ironically say "triggered" have some thoughts about the country.

I don't disagree about there being a mostly undeserved impulse for people to cling to tragedy, and maybe an "OT:" is necessary for the thread title. However, Oregon State was staying in Barcelona right by the scene of the incident. It seems relevant to a SLU basketball forum than an upcoming opponent had a frightening experience related to the biggest international news story of the past day.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm safe in the central west end.  My thoughts and prayers go out to the hillbilly homeless couple working the corner of Vandeventer and Forest Park.  Haven't seen them in a while.  Hope the meth wore off and they went home......

+1.  Unfortunately, our city remains far more dangerous than any European city targeted by ISIS.  

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Its called empathy Cheese, I thought about our team if they were out there and how I would feel about it.  I don't want to see the Billiken's go abroad and this happen to them.

I am sure Oregon State was concerned about their kids and the rest of the teams that had kids in that country.

It wasn't political, it wasn't to make any point other than I felt bad for the six teams in Spain that went there to experience Spain and play against a different players from another country that I think would be a thrill.

This is a SLU basketball forum and we have discussed other teams so the contents of the post belongs here because it is about college basketball teams.

It appears you are a big shot world traveler and going to Spain to play basketball is not a big deal but I bet it was for those kids.

What makes me crazy is nasty overreaction like this post, the sky is falling for you not me so please use your advice calm down if you cannot feel for the kids and someone else does.

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

Its called empathy Cheese, I thought about our team if they were out there and how I would feel about it.  I don't want to see the Billiken's go abroad and this happen to them.

I am sure Oregon State was concerned about their kids and the rest of the teams that had kids in that country.

It wasn't political, it wasn't to make any point other than I felt bad for the six teams in Spain that went there to experience Spain and play against a different players from another country that I think would be a thrill.

This is a SLU basketball forum and we have discussed other teams so the contents of the post belongs here because it is about college basketball teams.

It appears you are a big shot world traveler and going to Spain to play basketball is not a big deal but I bet it was for those kids.

What makes me crazy is nasty overreaction like this post, the sky is falling for you not me so please use your advice calm down if you cannot feel for the kids and someone else does.

Empathy is for those who actually suffered some tragedy - like the the people who were affected.  The basketball teams that just happened to be in the same country or city but were not a part of the tragedy really do not need our empathy.  That said I had my rant and I am done.

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Just remember retweets don't equal endorsements.

my first tweet still in the future but how is this the case? or are you saying one might see a repulsive tweet and retweet to show someone this repulsive statement? Out here in the social media flyover states I was under the impression that retweet was similar to like function on FB? Pre social media forwarding or retelling some hateful joke, opinion etc would indeed be considered an endorsement.

From espn.com:

"Clemson's basketball team arrived back on campus, a day after a deadly van attack in Barcelona that occurred just outside their hotel.

The Tigers were preparing to play their fourth and final game of a summer tour of Spain when a van drove up on a sidewalk and crashed into scores of people in Las Ramblas promenade, killing 13. Clemson canceled the final game and flew back home as scheduled Friday.

Teams from Arizona and Oregon State were also staying at the hotel. A fourth team, Tulane, was in Barcelona at a different hotel."

That's too close for comfort in my book. Glad no harm came to any of them.