SLU, Mizzou game talk thread

On 8/4/2017 at 2:05 PM, goonaha said:

I guess I'm confused by the mixed reactions. Everyone on the board likes to make fun of Mizzou or gets mad at the Post for being biased, etc, but those same people aren't interested in the chance for it to become a legitimate rivalry where we can win bragging rights on the actual court? While it would never get to the level of Duke-NC or Louisville-UK, developing a rivalry along the lines of UC-Xavier or UW-Marquette would be pretty cool and good for the program.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to really want this game to happen, but it really doesn't get me all that excited anymore.  Mizzou has been a mess of a program since Norm left. They haven't won a regular season conference title in 24 seasons.

Mizzou might need this game more at this point than we do.  That program as it is currently set up is going to need to recruit St. Louis really strong.  They basically sh!t on us when the game might have meant more to us.  I don't see a positive to giving them an extra game in St. Louis every other season.

If we want to schedule a team that could benefit from a game in St. Louis for recruiting reasons and that would excite people in the area, I would rather concentrate the program's attention on a KU series where we play them in a home/home series once every five years.

14 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I used to really want this game to happen, but it really doesn't get me all that excited anymore.  Mizzou has been a mess of a program since Norm left. They haven't won a regular season conference title in 24 seasons.

Mizzou might need this game more at this point than we do.  That program as it is currently set up is going to need to recruit St. Louis really strong.  They basically sh!t on us when the game might have meant more to us.  I don't see a positive to giving them an extra game in St. Louis every other season.

If we want to schedule a team that could benefit from a game in St. Louis for recruiting reasons and that would excite people in the area, I would rather concentrate the program's attention on a KU series where we play them in a home/home series once every five years.

There is no point to playing Mizzou. They haven't been relevant in years. They will be good next year with Porter and will then sink back to the meddling middle. Why give them an extra game in stl. Slu should be playing a better schedule without Mizzou 

7 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Such an in-depth and well thought out response. Thank you 

Look StL Hoops - many on the board really have moved past the Missouri playing us issue.  I get that you are simply a basketball fan and you want to see what you see as appealing games - that is your thing but those of us on the board want what is best for SLU and playing this game does little for us.

53 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The matchup wouldn't last long enough to help recruiting.  If we beat the Tigers head to head, the same thing would happen that happened last time -- the Tigers would end the series.   We don't need an oncourt rivalry with Mizzou to get 4 star recruits.  Coach Ford is already doing that.

What he said, @STL Hoops Insider.

Plus, Mizzou's current commits for 2018 consists of a transfer from UIC and a guy that SLU didn't offer. Lighting the world on fire. 

2 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

What he said, @STL Hoops Insider.

Plus, Mizzou's current commits for 2018 consists of a transfer from UIC and a guy that SLU didn't offer. Lighting the world on fire. 

You mean a former Big Ten signee and a kid that was a former top 100 player and lost scholarships due to multi year injuries? Both programs have bright futures and it would be nice to see them play every few years.

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

You mean a former Big Ten signee and a kid that was a former top 100 player and lost scholarships due to multi year injuries? Both programs have bright futures and it would be nice to see them play every few years.

I mean the kid who had offers from Drake, Bradley, etc when he was released from his LOI and the kid who signed with UIC. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Until he reclassifies it's 2018. And why would Martin's job need saving?

Jontay is clearly going to be a 2017 recruit. Only an idiot would assume otherwise.

Martin has a long history of leaving a program after 3 years. We'll see if this one sticks.

I'd welcome a home and home series against any P6 team. But every year people get worked up about a mizzou SLU series for no reason. It'all never happen as long as mizzou is chicken sheat; it's that simple.

Hoops, can you honestly say, with a straight face, that Jontay is not a cinch to reclassify to 2017?  What do you think Martin and "Dad" are planning?  They just want to pick the best day fort Matter to get the P-D to print numerous stories in the SPUMAC (East) rag.  Martin better pick up the pace in 2018 and beyond recruiting since it seems like the tall Porter sons are going to run out after this year.  Porter Jr. will go after this year and Jontay probably after the next year unless he is not as good as CM and Porter Sr think he is.  Tillmon has two years at SPUMAC at best   CM better hope Hellems is as good as Hellems thinks himself to be.  You can't compete in the SEC with a pipeline of 2- year college, ESTL high grads.

Can he coach 'em up?  Well at U Cal he couldn't (didn't).

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Hoops, can you honestly say, with a straight face, that Jontay is not a cinch to reclassify to 2017?  What do you think Martin and "Dad" are planning?  They just want to pick the best day fort Matter to get the P-D to print numerous stories in the SPUMAC (East) rag.  Martin better pick up the pace in 2018 and beyond recruiting since it seems like the tall Porter sons are going to run out after this year.  Porter Jr. will go after this year and Jontay probably after the next year unless he is not as good as CM and Porter Sr think he is.  Tillmon has two years at SPUMAC at best   CM better hope Hellems is as good as Hellems thinks himself to be.  You can't compete in the SEC with a pipeline of 2- year college, ESTL high grads.

Can he coach 'em up?  Well at U Cal he couldn't (didn't).

I THINK he'll reclassify, but that idea has been dragging on since March, so I can't count him in 2017 until he is. He might actually want to play a year of high school outside his brothers shadow and play in the McDonalds All American game. I don't know. And I don't think Martin will leave after 3 years. 7 year deal, great money, close to him hometown, tons of recruiting credibility in the area.  Coban Porter is class of 2020.