SLU, Mizzou game talk thread

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, brianstl said:

I knew I heard somewhere that he would not be be eligible next season and I assumed it was do to his age.  After doing some research I think it comes down to the rule that you have to be a year removed from when you would have graduated high school with your original high school class.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Both Porter brothers are draft eligible in 2018. Both will be at least 19 during the 2018 calendar year and one year removed from high school.

On 8/10/2017 at 9:34 AM, Pistol said:

They've been playing the XU-Cincinnati series continuously since the 1945-46 season. Xavier wasn't much of a program until the mid-late 1980s. They don't put the series on hold when one or both of the programs are going through a down period (which has become exceedingly rare). There was one stretch of over 20 years in which Xavier won just twice. They didn't pack it in. The game makes too much sense not to play.

We need to improve our programs but I don't know how that's a reason for this game not to happen. Wanting your program to be better and wanting a good local rivalry game is not a mutually exclusive thing. Why the false choice?

You also have your timeline way off for the SLU-Mizzou series. The games were played in December of 1999 (Dome), 2000 (Hearnes), and 2001 (Scottrade). Chaifetz opened for the 2008-2009 season.

I'm not sure where your information about Mizzou's demands is coming from, but you're off on a lot of details. I know that Soderberg had a policy of leaving a date open for Mizzou until the latest possible date, but Mizzou has generally either said "not interested" or wanted 2-for-1 series or Mizzou-and-neutral series, or made other offers that were out of balance. As for ticketing, I don't think that had as much to do with demands as it does with the simple fact that Mizzou is a large state school and SLU is a medium-sized private school, and the amount of alums/fans in STL is not even close to balanced. Of course they're going to sell more and outdraw us. It's just raw numbers.

If we could get it going again like it was in 1999-2001 - neutral, home, and home, or Scottrade, Mizzou Arena, and Chaifetz in today's terms - that would be awesome. We should not worry about being outdrawn by Mizzou for at least 2/3 games. I think the current coaches are more open to this than what we've seen in a long time, since when Snyder and Romar were new.

Pistol.

Did not realize the XU-Cincy rivalry went back that long.  It's nice to hear, but as you know, is the exception.  Personally, I have been aware of the series dating by to the Bobbie Huggins years at Cincy -- when both teams were strong.  Now that I know the XU-Cincy series has gone on this many years, it actually makes my point:  the series doesn't make the teams good but it is the good teams which make the series memorable. 

Now, let's just be honest.  Mizzou does not want to play other teams within Missouri.  I defer to posters on this Board with greater seniority to me but I go back to the late 1970's with Norm Stewart and Mizzou has never wanted to play these rivalry games.  Their rival was Kansas which was a great rivalry nationwide and here in St. Louis but particularly on the western side of Missouri -- Kansas City where Lawrence is almost a not so distant suburb.  Next, the St. Louis side of our state started another major rivalry game -- the Braggin Rights game against the Illini each year which gave Mizzou an annual trip to St. Louis play in front of recruits, local coaches, alums and donors.   To many Mizzou fans, coming to St. Louis twice was too much.  Think about it -- a loss to SLU would sure take away their ability to "brag" about beating Illinois.  SLU was/is simply a small, private school which gets in their way.  They want us to go away.  They have wanted us to join the Valley with Missouri State so that they could write off both of us as being in inferior conferences to the Big 8, Big XII and now SEC.

And I understand the timeline and that Chaifetz was not yet built in 2001.  And no, I did not mean to say that Mizzou refused to play in Chaifetz in 2001.  Instead, what I am saying is that Mizzou has only wanted a series on their terms -- 2 for 1 and home for them but neutral for us so they can pack the venue with as many alums/donors as possible. And to the younger generation of Billikens fans, trust me, Mizzou is not going to change their approach even with a new coach.  Mizzou will not agree to playing the St. Louis game each year at Chaifetz.  

We have had multiple threads on this Board over the years lamenting the fact that SLU does not have a true rival, and therefore, my suggestion is not to put all our eggs in the "Mizzou is our new rival basket."  Build our program.  Schedule an opponent which wants to play us and is good for our program and move on.  

41 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Help me out - such a great recruit - where did he end up for college? 

Because of the reasons in the above article(injury after injury) he dropped from top 50 in class to UIC.  He started 30 games last year and finally appears healthy and ready to show why he was so highly coveted.  

It doesn't matter how much history or logic is provided regarding the SLU/Missouri game idea some are simply incapable of wanting to see both sides.  The truth still is that for a rivalry to be a rivalry both sides have to want it to be.  As others have said, Missouri has no interest in us being their rivals so the idea of this ever happening is simply folly.  The most it could ever be is a just another game with a P5 team for us and just another buy game - in their minds - for them.  The sooner all of us just move on from this idea - I include the ill guided sports media in StL - the sooner we will be able to actually concentrate on developing a rivalry like with Butler or X and of course the already existing Dayton games.  Those games need to be our focus.

22 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I don't think the overwhelming majority of Mizzou fans view SLU as inferior and would like to play the game as well.

If you spent much  time on PowerMizzou you would know differently.  They definitely look down on us.  They trash us and mock us continually. The moderator (Gabe) has particular disdain for us. The truth is they have a profound fear of losing to us.

18 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Every program of our caliber across the country wants a chance to beat down their respective state school. You should not need 5 paragraphs on this subject. Bring me Mizzou and leave your politics at home. It's a basketball game 

Tool

6 minutes ago, HenryB said:

If you spent much  time on PowerMizzou you would know differently.  They definitely look down on us.  They trash us and mock us continually. The moderator (Gabe) has particular disdain for us. The truth is they have a profound fear of losing to us.

I frequent the board. And they were even respectful enough to not bash about Reed's situation after this board bashed Tilmon. There is constant Mizzou bashing here, not the other way around. I wish we could all get along

9 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I frequent the board. And they were even respectful enough to not bash about Reed's situation after this board bashed Tilmon. There is constant Mizzou bashing here, not the other way around. I wish we could all get along

PowerMizzou respectful to SLU????.....lololololol  They have so much respect that we are routinely referred to as SLUH.    They are the ones who have refused to play, not us.  

15 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Tilmon is trash.  

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

It doesn't matter how much history or logic is provided regarding the SLU/Missouri game idea some are simply incapable of wanting to see both sides.  The truth still is that for a rivalry to be a rivalry both sides have to want it to be.  As others have said, Missouri has no interest in us being their rivals so the idea of this ever happening is simply folly.  The most it could ever be is a just another game with a P5 team for us and just another buy game - in their minds - for them.  The sooner all of us just move on from this idea - I include the ill guided sports media in StL - the sooner we will be able to actually concentrate on developing a rivalry like with Butler or X and of course the already existing Dayton games.  Those games need to be our focus.

Cheeseman I am going to agree with you in this one. Let's move on and let Mizzou go their own happy way.

Congratulations to Coach Martin for buying himself the 4th ranked recruiting class.  We now know that for at least $1.125 million, you can be #4.  (We don't know if any of the other players received spending money.) I suggest that for $1.125 M and a #4 class, the expectation for Martin is at a minimum, Elite Eight, or maybe even Final Four.  Anything less, well I would consider it a colossal waste of taxpayer money, and/or an abject failure of the program.  Pressure is on.