First Look

I had a chance to look at  some of the changes for the Fetz this year. First, there is the upgrade to the locker rooms / lounges. Work is underway now ...to be completed by the start of the season....Impressive, first rate facilities. Should be a great recruiting tool.  For the fans, ....new LED scoreboards...bigger, brighter, clearer......on the test run they were only running ads and PSA's but you can see this is a major improvement over the previous boards.

Should be a good year on and off the court.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

I had a chance to look at  some of the changes for the Fetz this year. First, there is the upgrade to the locker rooms / lounges. Work is underway now ...to be completed by the start of the season....Impressive, first rate facilities. Should be a great recruiting tool.  For the fans, ....new LED scoreboards...bigger, brighter, clearer......on the test run they were only running ads and PSA's but you can see this is a major improvement over the previous boards.

Nice! Thanks for the update. Chaifetz is a masterpiece and we need to do everything we can to keep it first rate 

On 7/29/2017 at 1:38 PM, The Wiz said:

Glad they are changing the scoreboards.  They were, well let's say, dated. 

On 8/1/2017 at 0:18 AM, HoosierPal said:

Glad they are changing the scoreboards.  They were, well let's say, dated. 

They were worn out like ADPis after the welcome back dance.  Now they're fresher than Gries Ice Milk in August.

Lord knows our AD/marketing department will do little to nothing to hype this, so thank you for the update Wiz. 

I mean, would it kill us to put out a cot dang fluff piece during the off season? 

6 hours ago, prebilliken said:

Lord knows our AD/marketing department will do little to nothing to hype this, so thank you for the update Wiz. 

I mean, would it kill us to put out a cot dang fluff piece during the off season? 

Do they really want to talk about a multi million dollar upgrade after 250 employees were laid off last year? 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Do they really want to talk about a multi million dollar upgrade after 250 employees were laid off last year? 

Valid. 

But if these funds were directly tied to the Athletics department it would be a moot point. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Very true, and is probably the reason. They got backlash for the new state of the art tech center being built at the bottom of pics with holograms and 3D printing that was paid for with a technology fee 

41 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Valid. 

But if these funds were directly tied to the Athletics department it would be a moot point. 

I would assume the funds were budgeted out to Global Spectrum for arena upgrades to stay ahead of technology. It's still not a good look to those who don't understand how things work.

15 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would assume the funds were budgeted out to Global Spectrum for arena upgrades to stay ahead of technology. It's still not a good look to those who don't understand how things work.

I understand the contextual nature of the issue, but it really is silly at the end of the day. By getting rid of components of the University that were not financially viable SLU is supposed to stop improving aspects of the University that are financially viable? 

BTW- The new student tech center looks amazing. 

School can barely put marketing items together, never mind getting to the point of thinking about the "optics" of how said publications would look (to those who even remember the layoffs, which is probably a slim percentage of the STL community). 

Over thinking this one. Upgrades like this should absolutely be touted in an effort to bring more folks in. 

As an aside, I didn't see any of the art center backlash.. from who? Students? Faculty? Curious 

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Upgrades like this should absolutely be touted in an effort to bring more folks in. 

-I agree, Coach Ford, Coach Stone and Chris May when on with any media should be touting this as another item to get butts in the seats and then hopefully the product on the floor will get them to return

-I wonder if any of the arena, not locker room, improvements were being driven by acts/groups wanting to perform/use the arena but found this stuff dated? those that don't bring their own screens

-if the improvements are as good as advertised, as opposed to the victory blue light, they will be welcome additions to a great facility

Okay, I guess I am in the minority, but I'm not coming to the arena simply to see the new scoreboards.  I won't see the locker rooms or lounges, etc., so I'm not exactly sure what the AD could hype to put more butts in the seats.  I'm coming to watch the game.  I'm coming whether they keep score on a chalkboard or on a 90 foot HD video board.  Explain to this poor Hoosier how touting new video boards will convince someone who wouldn't attend a game otherwise, to spend hard earned bucks on a ticket.

Are there other improvements that me, the guy in the seats, can see AND give me more creature comforts?  

But yes, as a recruiting tool, new locker rooms, weight rooms, medical rooms, etc are huge.  Last I knew, SLU wasn't recruiting me to hoop.  

Not banging the AD on this one.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

But yes, as a recruiting tool, new locker rooms, weight rooms, medical rooms, etc are huge.  Last I knew, SLU wasn't recruiting me to hoop.  

Better facilities, better recruits, more coverage, more fans in the seats. 

I don't know if that is exactly how it would work but I'm assuming that is the reasoning.