Travis Ford On 590

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Ford talked about Goodwin, Bess and AD as his top guys, along with returners Bishop and Roby. Seemed hesitant to start naming names after Goodwin, Bess and AD. Said Goodwin and Bess are the leaders. 

Goodwin is the leader. That is so awesome for a Freshman. 

T. Ford loves him some Bess & AD 

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Ford talked about Goodwin, Bess and AD as his top guys, along with returners Bishop and Roby. Seemed hesitant to start naming names after Goodwin, Bess and AD. Said Goodwin and Bess are the leaders. 

Makes the handwringing that went on the other day about whether Goodwin was "promised a starting role" silly. He's going to play on merit. 

Nice interview with Coach.  He began by fielding questions about his 'dancing'.  I guess I missed that, but apparently he was on social media due to some dancing at practice.

He said scheduling was particularly tough as with 8 or 9 new players, he wanted a tough schedule but with an "unproven team" [he used that phrase twice] it was tough matching a schedule with a the potential talent of the team.  He mentioned that Campbell has the second leading returning scorer in teh NCAA.  I looked him up, Clemons averaged 25 ppg last season.  'We are still trying to figure out a lot of things."  'We are still defining roles."   [My interpretation is that he wanted a tough schedule, but not too tough.  He wanted to challenge the team but not bury them OOC.]  He wants future schedules to be more challenging.

The Fast Lane asked Coach "if there are 8 seconds left on the clock and you have the ball, who do you call the play for?"  He answered, in this order, Goodwin, AD, Roby, Bess and Bishop.

When asked who is the Leader on the Team, who does everyone look to, and knows, is the leader, he responded Roby first and Bess second.  He said Goodwin likely will grow into that role, he has the personality to be a leader, but 'He has to earn it."  Nothing is given out on this team. 

Finally when talking about recruiting locally, he said yes he emphasizes it, but the fit has to be right. So the MBM's who want every local to be recruited, you might heed Coach's statement on fit.

[Players not mentioned in the interview were Anthony, French, Foreman, Graves, Hines, Johnson, and Welmer.  I'm sure there are some MBM's that will take that and run with it to set up rotations.  I recommend not doing that.]

29 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXjWLZ3HYMq/

also nice, I thought it was odd Roby was not mentioned earlier when folks were relaying leaders 

Wow, the dancing is...well....Coach, don't quit your day job.  Thanks for sharing. 

Roby was front and center in Coach's leadership comments.  He then complimented Bess for being in the gym 6 AM every day.   It's all there on the tape, 3 PM segment, close to the end.  Perhaps others don't want to hear what Coach has to say but would rather make up stuff?

https://www.101sports.com/show_notes/fast-lane-august-10-2017-rally-cat-real/

"The Fast Lane asked Coach "if there are 8 seconds left on the clock and you have the ball, who do you call the play for?"  He answered, in this order, Goodwin, AD, Roby, Bess and Bishop...

[Players not mentioned in the interview were Anthony, French, Foreman, Graves, Hines, Johnson, and Welmer."

Did seem a little odd he didn't mention Johnson as one of the ones you call the play for. If he's our sixth scoring option this year, I like our chances.

Innocent question; who is this AD people keep referring to??

I admit to not reading through every thread everyday; but I'm just curious why MBM's now regularly refer to Henriquez as AD?? Did I miss something??

ps: one thing I've heard through the grapevine is how happy and satisfied the entire staff is with both the team progress, the school, and generally just living here in STL.  The strong sense that we are really building a culture with stamina and legs, I mean. At present at least, Everybody's pretty euphoric...

7 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I admit to not reading through every thread everyday; but I'm just curious why MBM's now regularly refer to Henriquez as AD?? Did I miss something??

ps: one thing I've heard through the grapevine is how happy and satisfied the entire staff is with both the team progress, the school, and generally just living here in STL.  The strong sense that we are really building a culture with stamina and legs, I mean. At present at least, Everybody's pretty euphoric...

Adonys Henriquez, other posters have said that he calls himself AD and since Aaron Hines is AH AD works.

Appreciate the ps information the season cannot start fast enough for me.

57 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

What are MBM's?

53 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Adonys Henriquez, other posters have said that he calls himself AD and since Aaron Hines is AH AD works.

Appreciate the ps information the season cannot start fast enough for me.

Yes. Coach mentioned Adonys on a Coach's show and referred to him as AD. When Rammer asked, he said that was his nickname and what the players and coaches all called him. 

9 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Bess, Bess, Bess. I still don't understand why so many figured he would come off the bench.

Roby, Roby, Roby. I still don't understand why one poster in particular said he wouldn't get off the bench this season due to Bess being on the Squad. I guess Coach Ford has a different set of criteria than this self proclaimed expert talent evaluator. 

I will say you have backed off your initial ludicrous statement of bench time for Roby. Now you admit Roby will be a good role player. Yeah as in offense, defense and leadership roles. 

16 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Why do people take every word that Ford says so seriously?

It's the only thing we have.  Everybody is pumped for the season with nothing happening right now.  My game plan for the weekend:  Hoosiers  and Blue Chips and none of the depressing hoop dreams shiite

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's the only thing we have.  Everybody is pumped for the season with nothing happening right now.  My game plan for the weekend:  Hoosiers  and Blue Chips and none of the depressing hoop dreams shiite

Speaking of........

A year before Hoop Dreams came out, Hardwood Dreams was released.  It followed the five starters on Morningside High School in Inglewood.  It was really good.  ESPN has been airing Morningside 5.  It is new and it looks back at those kids lives 25 years later.  I caught a few minuted of it as I was getting ready for bed the other night and it looks outstanding.

20 hours ago, goonaha said:

Makes the handwringing that went on the other day about whether Goodwin was "promised a starting role" silly. He's going to play on merit. 

This was never a question about Goodwin's ability! It was about the concept of earning a position through merit. We obviously have a lot of snowflakes on this forum. I hope we never bring in 6 highly regarded recruits at the same time. What a dilemma for our coach.......

13 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This was never a question about Goodwin's ability! It was about the concept of earning a position through merit. We obviously have a lot of snowflakes on this forum. I hope we never bring in 6 highly regarded recruits at the same time. What a dilemma for our coach.......

WAAYYYY too many snowflakes on here. Goodwin is the best recruit we've had for the longest time, him not starting is a joke. 

4 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Blue Chips is pretty depressing as it goes along. tony was shaving points and coach Bell only won because he cheated as Happy bought cars, tractors and houses for the recruits. Only thing missing was hiring dads of 5-star prospects.