Roby

SShoe

River City Pro-Am is Back 

The River City Pro-Am Basketball League is back for another summer. The games will be held on Saturdays and Sundays at Cardinal Ritter College Prep. It is a good opportunity to catch many of the area’s top college players at every level, plus several former area standouts who are playing professional basketball overseas or are still active in the game. The league will run until late July with the playoffs, which are always exciting to watch.

----------------------------------------------

From an Earl Austin article. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I think #6 is Dwayne Polk.

After a quick Google image search, I think you're right.  That doesn't really give me much confidence that the competition is very high level.  If Roby wasn't dominating a league full of 31 year old DPs, then we'd be in big trouble.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

After a quick Google image search, I think you're right.  That doesn't really give me much confidence that the competition is very high level.  If Roby wasn't dominating a league full of 31 year old DPs, then we'd be in big trouble.

From what I can tell from Instagram tags, it looks like a lot of the guys played at places like Harris-Stowe, SWIC, and other NAIA and lower division schools. That makes sense, based on Earl's description of it. There's very little about it online, mostly stuff from past years.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Man, Roby looks like he's built up some guns. The guy kneeling down sure looks a lot like Grandy?

Yeah, each summer it's a Billiken tradition to observe that in the span of 3 months the guys are suddenly looking like Schwarzenegger. Conklin summer.

10 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

??? funny...because Polk works out with the SLU team and dominates.  I only caught one weekend of the Pro Am but i found the games entertaining.  

On 7/28/2017 at 0:32 AM, Coach314 said:

??? funny...because Polk works out with the SLU team and dominates.  I only caught one weekend of the Pro Am but i found the games entertaining.  

Yikes.  Just saw this.

This never happens.

Dwayne was not a good player, and an even worse person.  I hate that STL basketball community protects scumbags and allows them to be hangers on.

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Yikes.  Just saw this.

This never happens.

Dwayne was not a good player, and an even worse person.  I hate that STL basketball community protects scumbags and allows them to be hangers on.

@thetorch I was kind of waiting for your input on this topic.  I thought if anyone could ID some of the other guys in the photo with Roby or give us real insight on the competition in the PRO-AM, it would likely be you.  Any thoughts besides DP being a scum bag?

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

@thetorch I was kind of waiting for your input on this topic.  I thought if anyone could ID some of the other guys in the photo with Roby or give us real insight on the competition in the PRO-AM, it would likely be you.  Any thoughts besides DP being a scum bag?

I didn't watch any games this year.  Last couple years STL has two pro am leagues now and the little talent available is really spread out.  Mostly ex JUCO & lower division guys.  A friend of mine played in the other pro am at Matthews Dickey.  Finished all league, he played at Mo Bap 8 years ago and hasn't played pro in 5 years.  NBA guys aren't coming out to these things anymore and even top D-1 players have little interest.  Not like when Darius Miles & Larry would show up.  10 years ago a roby led team would get smoked.  Kind of hope Beal or David Lee step back in and build this league up again.  As long as the people running it now are in charge it will keep being small time.