2K Sport Classic -- Billiken Hotel Deal -- Update

Adman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2017 at 10:45 AM, kshoe said:

- it's a guaranteed two games against good teams. Far different than potentially only one game against an a10 team.

Good point. Hadn't thought of that. Those single elimination bottom feeder match-ups at Barclays don't hold quite the same appeal (although the automatic bid always keeps things interesting) - especially when calculating anticipated return for travel expenses and just being able to plan around it generally. 

To be factual the hotel is nowhere but "near" Times Square.  At 36th and Seventh Avenue, the hotel is a scant five "city" blocks from the beginning of the "Times Square area,"  which starts at 42nd Street and runs essentially through about 47th Street.  It's more "Garment District" but placing "Times Square" on it makes all the more glamourous and expensive.

November in NYC means higher prices as the holiday season is in full swing.  Getting discounted play tickets will be tougher as well as the crowds get bigger and the TKTS booth has less offerings. 

February in NYC (typically when we play Fordham) is much cheaper (Hotel room was like $109 - $119 a night at the Roosevelt at 45th and Madison with easy access to Times Square and Grand Central Station which is where you catch the train up to Fordham) and play tickets much easier to procure. 

We plan to get up there in time to check in, do whatever pregame is an option, watch the Thursday game, maybe stay for the second, and end with whatever afterwards.  Friday will likely be shopping, lunch, pregame, game and postgame.  Saturday will be more shopping or sightseeing and procuring play tickets for Saturday night.  Saturday night will likely be Carmines on West 44th Street before the show.  .

For those interested in seeing the hottest show, "Hamilton," good luck.  Shows are practically sold out through January.  There are shows on 11/17 and 11/18 .... a seat currently is listed for a low $542.93 and that's up in the rear mezzanine.  Free Advice:  check out the "TKTS" outlet right in the middle of Times Square facing north behind and under the "red steps."  Much like "Priceline" selling, unsold seats are sold at a 50% discount the morning of the show.  We got fourth row orchestra seats for "Chicago" with Jennifer Nettles there two years ago.  Some of the current shows discounted include ... Beautiful, Cats, Groudnhgo Day, Kinky Boots, Miss Saigon, School of Rock, Phantom and more.  All depends on availability.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:49 PM, majerus mojo said:

my friends care *considerably* less about our alma mater's basketball program than I do (save one or two). that sounds like a great time though 

Beats not having a single friend who is a SLU fan...

1 hour ago, bauman said:

wg, wait until CAG gets here, then you'll have lots of Billiken fan friends!  Especially if you have any available tickets.

hahaha. this is true. best part is, 99% of my friends are mizzou guys, who ask weekly if they still have a shot at carte'are.

9 hours ago, wgstl said:

hahaha. this is true. best part is, 99% of my friends are mizzou guys, who ask weekly if they still have a shot at carte'are.

without getting into MBM politics usually associated with any mention of my second favorite MCBB team, what are they saying about upcoming season?

SLU's hotel room guarantee at Moxi sold out again this week. And SLU again upped the guarantee, hotel holding price. Cool.

I'll have to get update on fan/alum party... date, time, place, etc. Last I heard, discussions were underway.

56 minutes ago, Adman said:

SLU's hotel room guarantee at Moxi sold out again this week. And SLU again upped the guarantee, hotel holding price. Cool.

I'll have to get update on fan/alum party... date, time, place, etc. Last I heard, discussions were underway.

This is really encouraging.  I have to think that our fans' ability/willingness to travel will factor in when SLU is under consideration for future tournaments.

28 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

This is really encouraging.  I have to think that our fans' ability/willingness to travel will factor in when SLU is under consideration for future tournaments.

I hope so. I'd like a nice tropical destination in the next couple years that I could talk my boss into. Maui would be nice in November. Make a week of it. 

A word of caution about Maui, they are experincing an outbreak of lungworm disease with a number of cases affecting the brain of those contracting the disease. The outbreak is small but the number of cases is much larger than it has been for many years. See the following health warning:

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-brain-invading-parasite-carried-by-snails-has-health-officials-concerned-in-maui

32 minutes ago, Old guy said:

A word of caution about Maui, they are experincing an outbreak of lungworm disease with a number of cases affecting the brain of those contracting the disease. The outbreak is small but the number of cases is much larger than it has been for many years. See the following health warning:

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-brain-invading-parasite-carried-by-snails-has-health-officials-concerned-in-maui

You sure know how to throw cold water on a good dream 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

They had the Mexican ice.

The last time I looked I didn't see a trip to Maui on our schedule this year so I think we are safe until at least next year.

Anyone know the rules on tournament trips?  Is there any limit from year to year?  In other words, by going to NY this year, does that preclude us from a tournament next year?

1 hour ago, bauman said:

The last time I looked I didn't see a trip to Maui on our schedule this year so I think we are safe until at least next year.

Anyone know the rules on tournament trips?  Is there any limit from year to year?  In other words, by going to NY this year, does that preclude us from a tournament next year?

No they changed rules a few years ago to allow these every year. 

Foreign preseason trips are still limited. 

On 8/18/2017 at 11:56 PM, almaman said:

without getting into MBM politics usually associated with any mention of my second favorite MCBB team, what are they saying about upcoming season?

overly optimistic.  They seem think about 20th coming into the season(which could happen) and they think top 10 placing for most of the season including at least a sweet 16 appearance