2K Sport Classic -- Billiken Hotel Deal -- Update

Adman

I had posted this some time ago within the existing 2K Sport Classic thread. But I recently got an update and thought it best to create a new thread - especially for people who may have missed it before.

First, the basics. The SLU Alumni team has negotiated a great hotel deal for Billiken fans, alums and students traveling to NYC for the tournament. The Moxi Hotel - Times Square, a chic boutique slated to open this fall, will be available for $189-199 per night. At this time of year with holidays approaching, this is an outstanding deal in Manhattan. Here's the SLU offer link:

Book your group rate for Saint Louis University Alumni

SLU negotiated the deal for 11/15 -- 11/19, the two days of the tourney plus a day before and after, in case anyone wants to make weekend out of it. Looks like 10/25 is last day to book. The Moxi is a new Marriott brand. This property at 485 7th Ave is just a few blocks from MSG. I did Google search: it's in US News' top 12 most exciting hotel openings for 2017. What a place for Billikens HQ... http://travel.usnews.com/features/12-most-anticipated-us-hotel-openings-of-2017/

I was told they're planning a fan party at a gathering spot on date and time to be announced. If you've been to these before: they are A+. Great to see SLU already planning big things around this team. 

Now the update. Room reservations have been going briskly. About 75% of the rooms the University guaranteed to get the negotiated deal are gone. Once this block of Billikens rooms is sold out, the special price will be gone. So if people are interested, it is likely a good idea to book sooner rather than later. The University could later try to add rooms to the deal in a sold out situation, but the hotel is not obligated to this. And as room demand grows towards the property's grand opening, the less likely they will hold price.

Certainly, people can stay anywhere they want. And people could try to book at this hotel at prevailing price if hotel is not sold out.

Just wanted billkens.com to be aware of the price deal and what will likely soon be a sell-out of the Billiken room block.

Let's go Bills!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fairfield Inn East Rutherford, NJ is $119 a night thanks to some people at Accenture who gave me their corporate rate.

I do have to say, the Moxy properties are kick ass. Stayed at the Moxy in NOLA off the Quarter and you check in at the bar, which is open 24 hours a day (no word on Zima) and each location has a signature cocktail (the NOLA one was the Moxy twist on the Hurricane). Rooms are small, but they don't expect you to be in your rooms much in New Orleans. I'm sure it's the same in Manhattan.

39 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Virgina Tech just lost a solid player. Ty outlaw I think. Scored 16 against Wisconsin in the tournament. 

Reading the Va Tech press, it seems like he was going to be a key player for them this year-40 % from beyond the arc with good size.

When it comes to Outlaw , the Hookies have plenty of depth including guys that were already playing over him.  Chris Clarke getting hurt mid season led to Outlaw's minutes increasing.  Plus, they are adding Nickeil Alexander-Walker who is a top 50 recruit.  The Hookies are going to be really good this season.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

When it comes to Outlaw , the Hookies have plenty of depth including guys that were already playing over him.  Chris Clarke getting hurt mid season led to Outlaw's minutes increasing.  Plus, they are adding Nickeil Alexander-Walker who is a top 50 recruit.  The Hookies are going to be really good this season.

Just not as good as the Billikens. ;)

I dont know if it was just me but after reading the recap from Ford's radio interview, I broke down and bought hotels for NYC in November.  My brother is a VA Tech Alum and I feel like this match up only happens once every 25 years so it is a must-attend event for us. 

The link did not work for me either, so I called the reservations number and they tried to get me to pay 303 per night instead of the 199 block rate.  The operator said the block was sold out but mentioned that they would have to consult the Moxy sales team to "open up" more rooms.  I tried clicking the link 15 mins later and it worked for me.

So I suspect there is some process where the Moxy sales team only releases a few rooms at a time and then once they get booked, they have to go back in the system and re-authorize the room rate for more rooms. 

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

I dont know if it was just me but after reading the recap from Ford's radio interview, I broke down and bought hotels for NYC in November.  My brother is a VA Tech Alum and I feel like this match up only happens once every 25 years so it is a must-attend event for us. 

The link did not work for me either, so I called the reservations number and they tried to get me to pay 303 per night instead of the 199 block rate.  The operator said the block was sold out but mentioned that they would have to consult the Moxy sales team to "open up" more rooms.  I tried clicking the link 15 mins later and it worked for me.

So I suspect there is some process where the Moxy sales team only releases a few rooms at a time and then once they get booked, they have to go back in the system and re-authorize the room rate for more rooms. 

If you have trouble with MOXY, there are a number of quality hotels nearby that are just as cheap, if not more so.  Sure, it's not the SLU hotel, but so what.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

Heard yesterday that the SLU block of rooms did indeed sell out. But the U guaranteed an additional block and the hotel honored the price.

If it sells out again, SLU may try to guarantee more, but may not be possible. Regardless, looking like a big SLU crowd, should get bigger yet. Will update if I learn more.

kmbilliken, I reread your post and got to wondering if you were asking about how many SLU fans at hotel. I was presuming you were asking about how many would be in the stands/tickets sold. Truly don't know.

But if asking how many at hotel, I asked Alumni office that question. The answer: it's approaching 40 rooms, expected to go higher. Now just guesstimating... average of 2 per room, some 3 per room, could be 100 or so?

But that's just today. As fall semester begins, and we get closer, will keep growing.

And back to the number in the stands, guesstimating is harder. Some would be NY locals (but SLU grads/fans), some traveling but staying with friends, some at other hotels, airBnB, etc. That's why I thought someone with AD connections might have better idea - though not all SLU tix will be via that channel.

Now truly spitballing... given 3+ months to tourney, current Moxi res, all the various places people might stay, who knows - 500? If students decide to road trip... more?

I have no experience with fan projections. But fun to think about.  Anyone else know or want to hazard a guess?

15 hours ago, Compton said:

^That would definitely be shocking based on attendance at the last two SLU-Fordham games in The Bronx and the first rounds of the A10 tourney at Barclays in '15 and '16. 

I don't think we'll have 500 but I think the number will be vastly better than a10 tournies and Fordham games for three reasons:

- it's MSG which for many is a bucket list place to watch basketball.

- the team is expected to be good and people are generally excited by the possibilities.

- it's a guaranteed two games against good teams. Far different than potentially only one game against an a10 team.

The Shoe family alone is bringing 6 people and we have only really traveled for NCAA tournies and driveable games in the past. I suspect there are plenty of others like us.