A-10 League grades this Century

I thought with all the talk about team rankings and grades , it would be interesting to take a look at the A-10 league grades.over the years as these league grades can affect a team's ranking and grade..  Generally these don't move much year to year....a 1 notch move is generally a big move....If it is more than that it is usually the result of a league adding or losing teams. Also, if a league's numbers hold steady and the other leagues improve or worsen...this too can affect the league grade.

I start in 2000 (pre-Billiken) to give some context.

Pre-Billiken 

2000-2001......B+

2001-2002.......B

02-03...............B

03-04................B

04-05.................C+

Billikens join

05-06.................B+

06-07..................B-

07-08...................B+

08-09..,................B

09-10...................B+

10-11....................B

11-12....................B+

12-13..................B+

13-14...................A-

14-15..................B+

15-16...................B+

16-17...................B

50 minutes ago, Compton said:

Thanks Wiz. No need if it takes any amount time/energy. But if you could post the Mo Valley or the same period that could  be a helpful point of reference. 

I will start the Mo Val grades from when the Bills entered the A-10...

05-06....A-

06-07.....A-

07-08.....B+

08-09......B-

09-10......B

10-11.......B-

11-12.......B

12-13.....B

13-14......B

14-15......B

15-16......B-

16-17......B-

As you will notice ...except for the first 3 years...the A-10 has outperformed.

Interesting: it's 3 seasons that the A10 has lost X & Temple (not counting Butler being that it was only in the conference a year), 2 very solid programs. Wiz, both in the B+ to A range? No significant drop off. Did adding Davidson & VCU make up for those 2?

With the Valley, I am guessing the loss of WSU (a 'A' program) will be huge for them even with the addition of Valpo.

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Interesting: it's 3 seasons that the A10 has lost X & Temple (not counting Butler being that it was only in the conference a year), 2 very solid programs. Wiz, both in the B+ to A range? No significant drop off. Did adding Davidson & VCU make up for those 2?

With the Valley, I am guessing the loss of WSU (a 'A' program) will be huge for them even with the addition of Valpo.

There are a lot of factors which figure into the League grades...Coaching changes, loss or addition of great players etc...Here is how it looks with the recent changes....

11-12 ...The "Old" conference....including X and Temple..............B+

12-13.....Added VCU and Butler....................................................B+

13-14......Subtract Temple and X and But......................................A-

14-15......Add Davidson and Mason...............................................B+

15-16..............................................................................................B+

16-17...............................................................................................B

So the interesting year is 13-14....not only were the Bills strong...the whole league was strong from top to bottom....even the 2 cellar dwellers Fordham(10-21)  and Duq (13-17)  finished with a C- and C+. One could argue that with the removal of the 3 "good" teams the league actually improved (B+ to A- ) but as I mentioned above  there are other factors.  I will say that from the 2014 peak, the league has been trending down (A- to B )....changes usually take a few years to sink in.  I think this year will be an important one for the league to see if they can reverse the trend. Hopefully the Bills will be doing their part.

As for Mo Valley the loss of WSU will hurt....Anytime you lose an A+ team the numbers will weaken...Valpo coming in as a B may soften the blow a little.

Very interesting. Thanks for the analysis and comps Wiz. At a glance it looks like A10 is B+/B and potentially trending lower with this year being a litmus test for that trend (as you mentioned). It looks like Mo Valley is B/B- with an almost certain trend lower, perhaps knocking on the C+ door with the loss of WSU.

Can these two mid-major stalwarts trending lower basically be chalked up to the Big East/American realignment of '13-'14?